Memory lane Ignition seal spray

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I was rummaging in the garage earlier today and found a can of Ignition sealant spray.

It forms a coating over the HT leads and distributer to keep out the damp air and helps starting.

I'm not sure they even sell this stuff anymore!

Have you found any little gems in your garage/car that you just don't need anymore?

Does anyone still use ignition sealant spray?

I found some conductive paint a while back it was all dried up. But I remember using it on my metro so it was 18 years old

Holts Damp Start, I used it all the time when I was racing Mini's!

Got an original bottle of Simoniz Liquid Diamond polish.

All these are still available as there are still a lot of cars out there made before 2000 :)

What about dog turds?

Using wife's/gf's tights for a fan belt?

Sawdust and or stockings in the diff prior to selling car?

Or was it Bars seal, with Bars leaks being the liquid version? I remember the box it came in.

Last edited:
Barsleaks being the liquid version?

Yes I remember using this to repair a leaking radiator. You started up the car and waited for the thermostat to get to temperature and open, you could tell it was open because the water started flowing across the top of the radiator. With the radiator cap off you poured the well shaken contents in a small plastic bottle into your radiator. Once mixed with the hot water it would magically seal any leaks.

Yeah, but the one Stamford and I are talknig about was a solid, dry bar of brown stuff, hence it's nickname :) You had to crumple it into the rad by hand.

I was nattering to my father-in-law yesterday and he was talking about a driving holiday they did back when the missus was a nipper, 2000 miles around Ireland in a Vauxhall Senator.

He was talking about having to stop cos it overheated, and I thought, that just doesn't happen anymore.

When I was rallying we used to fit a rubber glove over the distributor and feed the leads thru the fingers to stop water entry.

^^ I remember those days well, I even had a gizmo that plugged in between the spark plug and distributor lead to see if anything was coming through.

I remember doing this, I tried so hard to wring out another 50bhp from my 1.3 Nova by advancing the ignition timing a little! Talk about unbridled optimism!

Spark plug cleaning and gapping tools are not used much now! We just buy new plugs don't we and they all come pregapped!