Manual vs Auto

gendox

Track Warrior
Car
Pug 206 LX
I havent put this in the debate section because i dont want a debate i just want to know if it is worth getting an auto i have seen a very nice astra 4speed auto and obviously i am very into tuning cars up for power and looks will this effect me tuning my car i dont want made bhp but a remap new exhaust ect will be on the cards for me.

So is it worth me buying this car it has full service history low milige good price 3 door nice looking car but i didnt buy it because of the auto but i regret that now!

P.S. good morn just in from a night out lol so excuse and spelling or grammer

I love autos, provided they're modern ones with at least 4 speeds + TC lockup facility. I despise the old slushy ones as much as I despise old school diesels.

Can't really tell you what to do, owning an auto is a personal choice based on pro's and con's. You may like it and then again you may wish you never bought it and wasted your money.

If you intended to tune it then remember it will not be a traffic light car and will require some manual shifting to keep it in the powerband or plenty of kick-down. For me it would need in excess of 250bhp to make me drive a performance auto. I have had autos in the past, my favourite was my Omega V6 Tourer and an Audi 200T. But for a car based on power and performance in mind I would always go manual.

But the choice is yours and you need to weigh this up, is it what you really want? If you do alot of commuting then an auto can be better for you.

stick with manual mate, you might regret an auto and changing a gearbox to manual afterwards is a pain in the ....

You need a load more torque than a 14 petrol can deliver before it'll be truly pleasant to drive. I'm not much a fan of diesel automatics unless there's six or more gears to keep things moving. Diesels don't rev high enough to cope with only four gears

Auto's are pretty close now - they don't chew up the 10% they used to. After all, what's a BMW M5 fitted with?

I thought the very same, but how many horses is that putting out? and how much is lost through its tranmission which it can afford to? Like I said if over 250 ish then it can be liveable in my opinion but not M5 territory for certain.

its not a 1.4 its a 1.8 astra so about 125bhp i just cannot find a decent car lol have been looking for 3 weeks now getting itchy maybe i should just stick with the manuals sounds easier

Nothing wrong with a good automatic. And lots wrong with poor ones. The M5 is probably capable of nearly 500bhp so it can afford to lose some.

My Primera was the 150PS unit with a Jatco 4 sp (+ 2 lockups) auto box and that was fine. Yes, it did need to be revved to give its best but it was certainly not underpowered. If ever an engine was built for revving the SR20DE is it. The trade off is that the fuel economy could suffer with a small 2 litre engine that was qutie torque shy.

Nothing wrong with a good automatic. And lots wrong with poor ones. The M5 is probably capable of nearly 500bhp so it can afford to lose some.

My Primera was the 150PS unit with a Jatco 4 sp (+ 2 lockups) auto box and that was fine. Yes, it did need to be revved to give its best but it was certainly not underpowered. If ever an engine was built for revving the SR20DE is it. The trade off is that the fuel economy could suffer with a small 2 litre engine that was qutie torque shy.

I knew you'd come back at me with something like that...lol...I was only kidding it's personal preference isn't it anyway. I don't mind an autobox but my left leg would get bored. But on the plus side I'd probably master left foot braking properly...lol :D

It's good to get 2 opinions though buddy. Plus I like a good friendly arguement about anything really :lol:

I agree totally. Argument is the wrong word really. Friendly and open discussion is valuable to all of us.

To be honest I really don't mind either and can jump from manual to auto and back again ad infinitum without any ill effects.

I think some drivers like feeling of control that a clutch pedal offers. It means you can disconnect the engine from the drivetrain a peace returns. But it's only a feeling. Reality is that some automatic driving practise can help assist in fine motor control of the accelerator pedal. There's no clutch you can slip to swallow the excess torque. ie. push to hard too soon and you'll get hurled down the road faster than you ever planned. Clearly this doesn't apply in a 1.6 Maestro 1988 with an auto box as there's not enough torque to do anything interesting anyway.

If I was ordering a new car with a three litre plus engine I'd not be hesitating to tick the automatic option tick box. I'd be wary with a diesel unless there's six or more gears because the lack of revs can make for a tiring drive. Which totally defeats the purpose of automatic transmission.

Understand mate but like I say for me it's a manual. I can drive either with no problems at all. But I prefer manual. Maybe your right? I do like to be in total control of the engine and what it's doin....

That's quite usual to be honest. Automatics do give that slight lack of control feel. Doesn't bother me especially because I'm happy with the level of control I have with two pedals. But I have to admit I would not fancy trying to drive some slushy old fashioned auto where it takes 2 whole seconds to get the thing off from rest and the kickdown take a lunar month to respond. That would leave me feeling as if not in control.

Modern cars almost drive themselves anyway, manual or otherwise. Even the accelerator pedal in my pug is no more than a pedal position sensor that sends electronic control data to the ECU and polietly asks for more torque. So I'm not sure if I really control it at all or just fulfill the role of controlling passenger who happens to be situated in the RH front seat because it's a UK car.

That's quite usual to be honest. Automatics do give that slight lack of control feel. Doesn't bother me especially because I'm happy with the level of control I have with two pedals. But I have to admit I would not fancy trying to drive some slushy old fashioned auto where it takes 2 whole seconds to get the thing off from rest and the kickdown take a lunar month to respond. That would leave me feeling as if not in control.

Modern cars almost drive themselves anyway, manual or otherwise. Even the accelerator pedal in my pug is no more than a pedal position sensor that sends electronic control data to the ECU and polietly asks for more torque. So I'm not sure if I really control it at all or just fulfill the role of controlling passenger who happens to be situated in the RH front seat because it's a UK car.

With a big pizza looking thing in your hand :lol::lol::lol:

With a big pizza looking thing in your hand :lol::lol::lol:

It's getting that way!

What about the stupid idea of making it illegal to eat whilst driving? How much more prescriptive legislation do we need?

Imagine being stopped by the police for commiting such a heinous offence..............

"Err, no officer, I'm not actually eating, at all. I am, indeed, taking bites from this Chorizo and capsicum pizza but I'm not actually EATING it. I open the window periodically and spit the contents of my mouth out through the open window. This does not, in itself, constitute eating."

its not a 1.4 its a 1.8 astra so about 125bhp i just cannot find a decent car lol have been looking for 3 weeks now getting itchy maybe i should just stick with the manuals sounds easier
dont rush into buying cars mate, the right car will pop up some day
dont take an auto just because you cant find 1

its like women, before i met the gf, i was out looking for women, bulling for my hole, i still woudnt beat on with a nag
trust me, its worth the wait:D
something will come your way

It's getting that way!

What about the stupid idea of making it illegal to eat whilst driving? How much more prescriptive legislation do we need?

Imagine being stopped by the police for commiting such a heinous offence..............

"Err, no officer, I'm not actually eating, at all. I am, indeed, taking bites from this Chorizo and capsicum pizza but I'm not actually EATING it. I open the window periodically and spit the contents of my mouth out through the open window. This does not, in itself, constitute eating."
lol:D