Auto - Manual conversion

Spikeyboots

Car
99 Accord Coupe 3.0
Does anybody know any good rep garages that will do auto to manual gearbox conversions?
I have a 3.0i Honda Accord Coupe and would rather have this converted than buy another but these cars were never made in manual so it is not too simple.

Cheers for your help.

That's got to be a tall order. I don't know Honda's intimately but I thought that Honda's automatic transmissions were more like a manual than most long before tiptronic things became available. Even so, it's got to be one of the most expensive mods. Often you'll need a different pedal box, engine mounts, quite apart from the box/torque converter and other stuff.

Question: Why do you want it as a manual anyway?

agree with Hdi on this. its a lot of work for what ? saying you have the only accord coupe with a manual.
unless your trying to drift it i wouldnt bother. and if i was wanting to drift itll be cheaper to buy another car and run both

Manuals are more fun to drive and I really like this car.

A friend had a quote once to convert a BMW at about £800 but doesn't know who now.

is the gearbox wired into the ECU ? if so your going to need to get this rewritten. was there ever a manual ? Japan USA etc if so it might be easier to see if you can get its ecu.
the other problem is the gearbox itself. other than the Accord coupe did honda make a real wheel drive 3.0 or 3.2 ? the only one i can think of is the S2000 and would gearbox match up ?

i would say it would cost more than £800.
but im no mechanic

Autos aren't all bad either. With a Japanese V6 it should still be pleasant to drive even with an auto box. It's not as if you're stuck with some such 1.8 Mondeo or Vectra auto (they're nauseating with manual 'boxes anyway). I actually LIKE automatics if they're well set up. 3 litres of Japanese torque should be enough to make it bearable.

Its front wheel drive and it would also be better to really control the amount of power thats going to those wheels.

I'm sure they'll be a gearbox out there somewhere that'll work/fit.

Happy for £1k but I won't spend a fortune on this mod.

If I could find some garages that do this sort of thing, they might have some ideas.

Autos aren't all bad either. With a Japanese V6 it should still be pleasant to drive even with an auto box. It's not as if you're stuck with some such 1.8 Mondeo or Vectra auto (they're nauseating with manual 'boxes anyway). I actually LIKE automatics if they're well set up. 3 litres of Japanese torque should be enough to make it bearable.

Yeah it REALLY does move but there's still 1 or 2 thousand revs still to go so I can only imagine at the moment to what it is capable of.

I think it could be done but it would take a lot of work and even more money! I'm not sure it'll be worth it but hey, it's your car and your wallet!

Don't give up yet. Just put aside a few hundred quid for front tyres, discs and pads - you'll work it out.

You can always use the selector to hold lower gears. Just select you upper choice of gear long before the box is likely to override you.

That Honda should manage well over 80mph in 2nd - that's quite a lot of scope.