M3 evo modz?

drifter

hi i have a 1997 m3 evo and would like to make a few mods. eg remapping and air induction. can anyone suggest where i can go to get some options and advice. i also want a dtm back box and i'm haveing trouble locating one i live in hampshire :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hi Nice car. What is your target power and aims? Are you drifting with the car - if so have you done the diff and suspension mods?

hi wayne thanks for replying. I don't do a lot of drifting so i havn't modified the dif/sus. I'm not too fuused about massive power gains but i would just like to get rid of a few flat spots and make it more responsive especially at low revs

An FSE boost valve is a good bet it gives a more snappy throttle response.

Flat spots would generally indicate a fault - have you renewed all High tension electrical components and leads? An induction kit and sports exhaust would be good option but in some cases they can magnify the flat spots.

Fill it up with super unleaded as well and see if the flat spots are still there!

hi guys,

i have an Evo as well and have modified the intake, exhaust and suspension (HSD coilovers). I have a dave.f kit which is basically a good heat shield with a large K&N cone, except i use a different cone to the K&N and have modified the heatshield to make it completely sealed.

I also have a Supersprint exhaust which imho is one of the best for the evo's, i had it on my first evo as well and it is quiet'ish on normal cruising but as the revs rise so does the noise, main thing is it isn't a chavvy type noise. I have also had a hamman exhaust on a previous 3.0L M3, they are made by Supersprint but to Hamman specs, they sound luurvley, sort of like the standard SS but a bit more burbley, you can hear a bit of popping as well from time to time.

I have installed a very large air feed as well going up from the brake duct by using gutering pipe with mesh on the front to stop leaves etc going into the enclosure, best thing is you can't see the air feed unless you get right down and look inside the brake duct. I have also put my external temp sensor from the brake duct into the intake enlosure to monitor temps and gotta say with this particular airfeed style and my sealing of the heatshield the temps have dropped from before stay very low. Even when sitting/moving in very slow traffic on very hot days, as soon as i move off i can see the temperature dropping on the OBC.

I think a good remap by Evolve i next on the cards. The guys at evolve really know their stuff when it comes to ///M cars and play with the vanos timing as well as the normal stuff like ignittion etc and get very good results.

This boost valve you guys speak of, isn't this mroe for cars with electronic throttle like the E46 and newer M cars? Ours is mechanical (throttle cable), or have i got it confused with something else?

You can also change the diff for a shorter ratio/final drive. The E46 M3 CWP is popular and increases in gear acceleration noticeably.

Kash

Last edited:
The power boost valves simply raise the fuel rail pressure. Note that these are NOT the ECOTEK power boost valves which simply mess up the air/fuel ratio.

The power boost valves simply raise the fuel rail pressure. Note that these are NOT the ECOTEK power boost valves which simply mess up the air/fuel ratio.

ah, right.

Excuse my ignorance but what does raising the fuel rail pressure do? i mean how is good for performance?

thanks

sorry, ignore the above post. i just googled it!

I can't see one available for the E36 M3/Evo though!!

They allegedly increase the efficiency of fuel delivery. Possibly so in an old Cavalier SRi or similar but an M3 engine is ever so slightly more sophisticated.

I agree with you - don't bother, even there was a listed fitment.

An ECU remap will get rid of flatspots and torque dips very effectively, even without any other mods. That's one of the many attributes of a proper remap over the plug in tuning boxes. You will probably only see another 10-15bhp peak output but an M3 isn't exactly underpowered anyway.

Rgds,

P.

They allegedly increase the efficiency of fuel delivery. Possibly so in an old Cavalier SRi or similar but an M3 engine is ever so slightly more sophisticated.

I agree with you - don't bother, even there was a listed fitment.

An ECU remap will get rid of flatspots and torque dips very effectively, even without any other mods. That's one of the many attributes of a proper remap over the plug in tuning boxes. You will probably only see another 10-15bhp peak output but an M3 isn't exactly underpowered anyway.

Rgds,

P.

yeah, you're right. This isn't the type of mod you would do to an M3, not surprised they don't have one for the M3. After reading a several reviews its not all that it claims to be anyway.

you're right a decetn remap would take out all flat spots. Evolve (Evo-S) have developed a very, very good map for the Evo so i will be going to them.

yeah, you're right. This isn't the type of mod you would do to an M3, not surprised they don't have one for the M3. After reading a several reviews its not all that it claims to be anyway.

you're right a decetn remap would take out all flat spots. Evolve (Evo-S) have developed a very, very good map for the Evo so i will be going to them.

Reputation is everything therefore good decision.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back