Looking for a good beginner everyday car to mod/tune with

U

UndefinedViewer

Hi, beginner here looking for suggestions on a car that would fit my needs and tastes. I currently drive a '99 Oldsmobile Alero which works pretty great as a daily driver, however, I'm looking into selling it and getting a different car that I could mod, as well as use as a daily driver.

I've started my research for affordable cars for beginners to mod with and have picked out a list of cars that I like and have found for sale near to me at reasonable prices. I most likely will not be able to garage my car so during the winter I need a car that will be reliable and able to handle the weather well (I will be living in Wisconsin). So this is an important factor for me in looking for a new car, as well as being able to be my daily driver.

Now, onto the list of cars. I’d like further car suggestions and also opinions on whether I should or should not consider cars that have already been modded to some extent (The reason I mention this is because I have read that it is advisable to stay away from cars that have been modded at all because it leaves less potential for the car to be modded any further). Here is the list of cars that I have compiled:

Acura Integra
Acura RSX
Dodge Neon/SRT-4
Eagle Talon
Honda Civic
Honda Prelude
Mitsubishi 3000GT
Mitsubishi Eclipse
Nissan 240SX
Nissan 300ZX
Subaru Impreza WRX
Toyota MR2

I would like opinions on which car(s) I should look into and whether I should look for completely stock cars or if I should still consider cars that have been slightly modded. This particularly is a matter which I am torn on because a car that has already been modded a little would most likely be more reliable and might also have some luxuries off the bat, as well as looking nicer. However, if I do pick up a car that has been modded a bit already then that would leave less for me to do with the car in the future. One final thing I would like to hear opinions on has to do with the Nissan 300ZX and other similar cars like the 240SX. From what I have read, the 300ZX, and some others, are starting to enter the realm of classic cars and many car enthusiasts who own them garage them almost all the time and never take them out in the winter to keep them in pristine condition. Now, because of my situation where I will not be able to garage my car and I will be driving it in the winter, I'm debating on whether I should even consider a Nissan 300ZX or something similar (as in an increasing rare car). I think I might feel bad owning a car such as the 300ZX and not being able to garage it and driving it during the winter and having it possibly rust and wear out. Thank you for taking your time to read this and I would appreciate any advice, opinions, and feedback.

Hi and welcome:)|B
Now for my 2 cents worth
300 ZX pretty much needs engine out if work needs done.
MR2 see above
3000GT as per above.
My pick would be the 240SX as there is so much interchangeability of parts with other Nissan models like Skylines and 300ZX for stronger drivelines and a multitude of aftermarket suspension parts.

Would love a 300ZX with an RB26DET motor if it would fit ?-/

There are some good rust treatments available.

Greetings buddy and welcome to our TorqueCars forum :)

Quite a comprehensive list you have there and some real gems included. I wish you the best of luck with your final choice |B