Life's not so bad in a van.

TomHislop

Car
VW Crafter
Hi, a quick intro. I just bought a VW Crafter ( after finishing a VW Caddy ) which I use for work and pleasure. ( musician ) To cut a long story short I bought a pig in a poke. I've spent over £1500 on a full service ( with all new brakes ) now it's shuddering between 40 and 60 mph. Anyway it goes back into the garage this week to have the DPF removed an induction kit and a remap which should take it up to 184bhp. With any luck they'll be able to trace the cause of the shuddering.
All the best...

Hello and a very warm, welcome to TorqueCars from me the admin! Really nice to have you along and to finally meet you and thanks for your support, we really need our regular readers to survive.

Try running some BG fuel cleaner through the engine. If it's injectors or DPF that may just be enough to clear it out.

Keep reading the articles on our site and this forum... you'll pick up loads of good common sense tips and don't be afraid to post questions, were all here to share our knowledge and experience.

We run a really fun and interesting car community and many have said we're the friendliest around, always ready to help out where we can.

Enjoy your time with us, post loads and feel free to ask any questions or begin new threads and discussions. We're always interested to hear your comments and views on our existing topics and in the hot polls.

Post up a hello in the Mitsubishi forums and you stand a better chance of meeting other similar car owners.

Hi and welcome to TC forums.
Just to warn you the MOT regs are about to be changed regarding the DPF testing. The visual test is to be replaced with an emissions test and all removed DPFs will fail the new MOT forcing you to put one back in if you've removed it. It's a lot easier as Waynne says to keep it clean with BG44 or Archoil6900 cleaner. You don't gain that much in power by removing it anyway. You just end up chucking out all the carcenegenic soot that would of been collected in the filter for us to all breathe in.

Hi and welcome to TC forums.
Just to warn you the MOT regs are about to be changed regarding the DPF testing. The visual test is to be replaced with an emissions test and all removed DPFs will fail the new MOT forcing you to put one back in if you've removed it. It's a lot easier as Waynne says to keep it clean with BG44 or Archoil6900 cleaner. You don't gain that much in power by removing it anyway. You just end up chucking out all the carcenegenic soot that would of been collected in the filter for us to all breathe in.

Sorry I should have added, when I day have the filter removed I actually meant it was being taken off then the inside removed then replaced. I was told it had to be replaced as there's sensors on it that need to be ther for MOT purposes. As I said I'm not mechanically minded so can only take in what I'm told. I will however try one of your suggested cleaners tomorrow. Thanks again for your advice. Very much appreciated.....

Add has been said the regs are changing and dpf removal will cause Mot failure.

Bg cleaner does amazing things in diesel engines i use it regularly on mine and it's helped quite a few with dpf issues.

DPF has been illegal for years but very hard to enforce with a visual inspection as the canister is still in place. The sensors are actually switched off by the remap so that Regen is not triggered. Regen happens at 800° which if a lot of short stop start journeys are made this never happens hence the clog up. BG44 or Archoil coats the soot build up and lowers the burn temperature to 400° making Regen much more effective. It also cleans the whole fuel system like injectors, EGR, combustion chambers etc. If the DPF is really that clogged then a professional clean can be done by someone like The DPF Doctor network who will scan for underlying issues first because there's normally something else causes the DPF not to work properly, fix that and then clean the system. My car is an early 2006 DPF fitted golf with 56000 miles. I've put a bottle of BG44 in regularly and everything is fine. Very few DPFs 'fail' there is normally something else causing it but a lot of garages don't understand DPFs and the easy fix is take it off but this is illegal and as I said, the mot is changing from visual inspection to a proper emissions test soon. You have to think also about your insurance as DPF removal is an instant mot failure if detected so your insurance will be invalid as your driving an unroadworthy vehicle.

It looks like your chap wants the easy route and not spend time investigating the fault. It's also very profitable to him and you have all the legal problems. Torque Cars do not condone illegal DPF removals but we know previous members have done it. I would maybe have a chat with these guys, they have agents all over UK with excellent feedback.
https://www.the-dpf-doctor.com

DPF has been illegal for years but very hard to enforce with a visual inspection as the canister is still in place. The sensors are actually switched off by the remap so that Regen is not triggered. Regen happens at 800° which if a lot of short stop start journeys are made this never happens hence the clog up. BG44 or Archoil coats the soot build up and lowers the burn temperature to 400° making Regen much more effective. It also cleans the whole fuel system like injectors, EGR, combustion chambers etc. If the DPF is really that clogged then a professional clean can be done by someone like The DPF Doctor network who will scan for underlying issues first because there's normally something else causes the DPF not to work properly, fix that and then clean the system. My car is an early 2006 DPF fitted golf with 56000 miles. I've put a bottle of BG44 in regularly and everything is fine. Very few DPFs 'fail' there is normally something else causing it but a lot of garages don't understand DPFs and the easy fix is take it off but this is illegal and as I said, the mot is changing from visual inspection to a proper emissions test soon. You have to think also about your insurance as DPF removal is an instant mot failure if detected so your insurance will be invalid as your driving an unroadworthy vehicle.

Wow, great advice. You're a talented man, well done. I can't get the cleaning fluid locally but I see it's available on eBay. As I said I was getting it removed on someone's advice plus I read on this website it was ok to remove it.
I'll order the fluid and see if I contact the company you recommend. Thanks very much for all your advice and for taking the time to reply.....

Wow, great advice. You're a talented man, well done. I can't get the cleaning fluid locally but I see it's available on eBay. As I said I was getting it removed on someone's advice plus I read on this website it was ok to remove it.
I'll order the fluid and see if I contact the company you recommend. Thanks very much for all your advice and for taking the time to reply.....

Hi again, I contacted the DPF cpmany you recommended ( who's on hoiliday till Next Tuesday )
However I'll try again when he returns. Many thanks once more.
Cheers
Tom....

The TC site is multi national so may be a thread about DPFs in a foreign country that has different laws. In the UK DPF removal has always be illegal but very hard to enforce so has become this easy option for garages as they know there's very little chance of them being caught, especially if they also carry out the subsequent mots as they can just turn a blind eye. All it achieves is solve one problem and create another.
When you've sorted the DPF issue a remap is certainly highly recommended. Sounds like you have the 140hp Tdi so 180hp is very achievable.
We have a link scattered around this forum to the Powerhouse eBay site that will take you straight to the BG44 page. All eBay purchases done through the sites eBay link will generate a little bit of commission for the TC site to help Waynne with running costs.

The TC site is multi national so may be a thread about DPFs in a foreign country that has different laws. In the UK DPF removal has always be illegal but very hard to enforce so has become this easy option for garages as they know there's very little chance of them being caught, especially if they also carry out the subsequent mots as they can just turn a blind eye. All it achieves is solve one problem and create another.
When you've sorted the DPF issue a remap is certainly highly recommended. Sounds like you have the 140hp Tdi so 180hp is very achievable.
We have a link scattered around this forum to the Powerhouse eBay site that will take you straight to the BG44 page. All eBay purchases done through the sites eBay link will generate a little bit of commission for the TC site to help Waynne with running costs.

I'll,order it from your page and, get it booked into the DPF guy in Carluke.
It's not a problem making a donation to your site so if you've a PayPal account I'm more than happy to do so. I'm also a member of a local car club ( even though I have a van ) so at our next meeting I'll be sure to recommend your site and how helpful you are.
Can't thank you enough.
All the best.
Tom...
( I've cancelled the appointment for removal too ) thanks again.

Hi again, ( hope you can help) I've had the DPF removed cleaned replaced and remap but the van still doesn't pull properly. It dies going up hill. Is there anything you could suggest I could do next ? I've also got a terrible shudder from the van betweeen 45 60 mph. I've had the wheels balanced and the prop and suspension checked to no avail.
Any input would be great.....

FYI our paypal id is webmaster@torquecars.com - all donations go back into the site and making it better and covering costs.

Does the shudder happen at certain low revs or at a certain RPM band? A mistimed camshaft can sometimes cause this. They are on vernier pulleys IIIRC correctly so minor fractions of a tooth adjustment can be made.

Is the idle smooth when the car is on a hill? Or does it burble and jump a little?

Have you checked the dual mass flywheel?

Is the turbo giving the correct amount of boost? Check for split hoses or loose connections, any loss of boost pressure can cause a massive loss of power when the engine is running on boost.

Many thanks, that's great information. I just had the timing belt changed At a local garage and the shuddering wasn't there before he fitted it. When I took it back he said the new timing belt was put on correctly and it wouldn't cause the van to do this. Obviously he was wrong.
Thank you very much for your advice. I'll transfer some money to the TC pay pal account.

Does it stutter at that speed in all gears or just 5th?

Bear in mind it could be multiple issues contributing to the fault. A remap sometimes emphasises little faults that didn't show under the standard map.

Hi, yes it shudders in all gears as soon as you hit 45mph. What made me think it had something to do with the timing belt was ( and as I said I don't know anything about engines ) was because it wasn't shuddering before I put it into the garage.
When I say garage it just a local one man operation. I've got the van booked into another place for tomorrow I'll get him to check to check things out again before I go back to the local chap.
Many thanks.

A shudder at a set speed in all gear doesn't actually sound like an engine fault. Engine faults tend to happen at the same RPM range under load/part load/light load whatever the speed. Shudders like this could be drivetrain, gearbox, DMF, clutch or wheel balance related. Loss of power is engine related though, or perhaps a sensor somewhere is playing up.

It's pretty hard to diagnose things without seeing it. Get a trusted mechanic to look for a cause of the problem and read any fault codes for futher pointers. :D

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back