Leaving your car unlocked

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you ever leave your car unlocked? Perhaps when you just nip accross the road or go to pay for petrol.

Never ever assume that it is safe to leave a car unlocked, you really are asking for trouble and no insurer will pay a claim for anything stolen from an unlocked car.

Interestingly the police in some areas are 'stealing' the contents of unlocked cars to get the message accross! http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/26082009/36/police-turn-car-crime-0.html

Do you see many unlocked cars in your area? Are you paranoid about security or a bit too blase?

When at home i always leave it unlocked during the day but lock up at nighttime (but i live at the bottom of a lane with very few other houses not easy to see from the main road). The scooby, after 30 secs, requires you to reset the immobiliser and alarm.

well if the roofs are off i leave it unlocked and really there is no point locking it as its so easy to break it to but the 87 goes tomorrow so i dont really care lol

the 01 is all alarmed up so have a fob to play with so will always be locked unless the roofs are off

allways locked except when I jump in to pay for the petrol when I'm at home, I live in a small town in the north of Iceland where the crime rate is close to none but still it is allways locked

most of the time its locked, especially in town, even if im in it at the time, i worry about some of my friends who never lock the car, but they live in remote areas and dont even bother to lock thier houses at night, as opposed to me who gets to live next to a main road.

I've started locking the doors when I'm driving ever since I was sitting at the traffic lights one night and my drunken mate (unbeknownst to me) ran across the road as he recognised the car and banged on the window.

Scared the crap outta me, thought I was being jacked lol

*seen too many films*

in Vietnam you need to have the driver stay with the car or parked in a locked up garage. here they wont steal the car but instead take the wing mirrors, light, bumpers - if left alone.

My brother in law was getting into his car as a guy was stealing it! He got in after noticing the guy standing near to the car and then as he got in the guy had slid a metal bar under the window. When he realised the car was occupied he scarpered pretty quick!

Never lock our house let alone our cars :), even had a full set of alloys/tyres sitting in the front drive for about 1 month now.

or 30 minutes from central london with 24mb broadband and the highest house prices in the uk :)

AMAZINGLY PEOPLE ARE STILL DOING THIS. At a petrol station the other day I could literally have driven off in a couple of very nice cars! Are people total EEJITS or just optimistic!

AMAZINGLY PEOPLE ARE STILL DOING THIS. At a petrol station the other day I could literally have driven off in a couple of very nice cars! Are people total EEJITS or just optimistic!

Name the petrol station and the cars involved and I'll bring the black balaclava out of retirement! ;)

I always drive with my door locked and lock it when I get petrol or go to a shop. It's pretty grim out there folks. Things are so bad at the moment that people are resorting to all sorts to get parts and supplies for cars.
I had my sump drained once, got into the car and started it up and that was it. Knocking like a trooper. Was stuffed after that.

I always drive with my door locked and lock it when I get petrol or go to a shop. It's pretty grim out there folks. Things are so bad at the moment that people are resorting to all sorts to get parts and supplies for cars.

So sad yet so true! :sad2: I have drummed the exact same regime into her indoors as I want her to be safe at all times!

I always lock my car......may be sometimes i dont when i am at home......but leaving it unlocked at road...is just waiting to lose it.....