Just 1 car maker

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
If all the car makers merged into one giant company would the cars produced be better, the sum of all the best bits from all the car makers or would things get worse, lack of competition = lower quality and less innovation?

What do you see the pros and cons of having just 1 car maker being?

I think it would be boring with just one manufacturer. Plus they would be able to charge what they like so prices would prob be high as well.

I'm thinking of 1 company like the VAG group where there are still separate identities and brands involved, but just 1 firms tech behind it.

Imagine a world where Big Car co bought up VAG, Toyota, Honda, BMW, Ford and GM along with the other small car makers.

Vtec powered RS4? No Problem, Quattro Mustang? Sorted. RS6 powered S2000? Maybe?

About 30 years ago , we in India had just 3 car companies, Hindustan motors(makers of the Ambassador(Old 1957 Morris Oxford) Premier automobiles(Maker of the Fiat 1100 of the early 60'S) and Standard motors(makers of the Herald-Triumph herald in the UK)
Believe me, these three companies, knowing that they had a monopoly, let their quality control go to hell, in fact, there was NO quality control, mercifully, the last named, Standard motors dug its own grave in the mid 70's as the cars were so bad that no one would buy them, Fiats survived mainly because of the taxi market, and the Ambassador because the govt: bought from them exclusively.
So forget about the notion of having just one large car company, not a good idea at all! any monopoly is to be avoided at all costs.

During the hey days of the Model T Ford, Henry Ford was once asked by a customer if he could have his car in a different colour from the usual black, he replied" You can have the car in any colour as long as it is Black" !!

Last edited:
No thats where the driver sits...:lol::lol::lol:
Or just make it remote control.:lol:

That'll do. I've got an old wing back armchair that could be strapped to the roof. A few minor mods to the controls and off you go.

To Indiaman: What happened to the Mahindra pattern copy of the original Willy's Jeep? They were around in the UK around 1991ish. I very nearly bought one.

To Indiaman: What happened to the Mahindra pattern copy of the original Willy's Jeep? They were around in the UK around 1991ish. I very nearly bought one.
Mahindra still make many types of jeeps, they have one exclusively for the Indian armed forces, very tough and much better IMO, to the original article, these days they are a major vehicle manufacturer, having bought out a Korean company and very recently the Electric car company (Reva in India, and G Whizz in the U.K)they also have a tie up with Renault, Lotus and Nissan