Jumping temporary red lights

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Is it illegal to jump a red light on a temporary stretch of road, when you can see clearly ahead that there are no oncoming cars?

A friend of mine insists that it is not illegal to do this as there is no white line on the road! This is news to me! I wondered what you chaps thought?

Let's not confuse illegal with traffic offences.

As far as I know it was quite lawful to ignore a temporary red until fairly recently.

The rules changed in the last five years or so. Now, if the obstruction is registered (not sure by whom and with whom :-/) then you can collect 3 points and sixty quid fine just as you can at fixed traffic lights.

you will get a ticket for jumping them they are a traffic control and there for a reason thats what the plod told me at 3am the light were aprox 50ft apart and the plod thought he was god .what a knob lol

you will get a ticket for jumping them they are a traffic control and there for a reason thats what the plod told me at 3am the light were aprox 50ft apart and the plod thought he was god .what a knob lol

It was 3am and you didn't see the copper? You might want to reconsider who was the knob :)

i used to think you didnt have to stop if it was clear ahead,but it was only hearsay i would think it is illegal though!!! after all it is a traffic signal,