Is this "buyer" a hoax?

Fnorpan

Torque Junkie
Car
Citroen C3 1,6HDi
I recieved this mail after answering her first mail:

What do you think guys? Hoax?

"Hi thanks for mailing back,Am okay with the price(11.000.00EUR),how i wish to come and view it but am currently out of state....I'm presently in Haiti as a UN special envoy to the trouble region......I would want you to know that i will be paying via PayPal.. .due to the distance as i i'm in Haiti presently on Humanitarian assistance and i am buying this for my son as a surprise gift and I am glad if you accepted my offer.I can only pay through paypal at the moment as i don't have access to my bank account online(i don't have internet banking with it),but i have it attached to my paypal account, and this is why i insisted on using paypal to pay AND It only PayPal i can made your payment because PayPal secure fast and reliable so it easy to register at PayPal i will like you to go through there website www.paypal.com for registration it only 5 mins will take you ,I want you to provide me with the following information for me to proceed with the Payment...
Your PayPal e-Mail Address :
full name:
tel no :
I would like you to know that after i make the payment i would tell my pick up agent Private Courier Service to come and pick up the Vehicle at your address after payments has been sorted."

Thoughts really appreciated

Sounds very dodgy to me. To pay through paypal you'd need to supply bank details and or a credit card. The payment can be clawed back. The only safe way in the UK to get money for car sales is CHAPS, BACS or Cash.

Also look at the formatting. Lack of paragraphs and page breaks. Someone in an educated position should be able to write properly. The buyer is also already asking for personal details and I presume they haven't seen the car.

The payment will come through with some extra money. You'll be asked to pay the agent out of it say 3000euros. Then they take your car, chargeback the money and you'll have lost your car and be 3000 euros out of pocket.

Thank you Waynne, will tell "her" no and be done with it. It sounded pretty dodgy yep and also I thought about the same thing you mentioned about lack of writingskills, still wanted a second opinion though.

It's not all scammers on the net though.

I did get a genuine email this morning from a Nigerian prince who wants to transfer funds into the UK and needs me to handle the transaction. I should net about £30,000 from this deal when I take out my comission from the transfer. I can't wait. :rolleyes:

Idd, it's usually to good to be true if it sound like it. Well I'm glad to have gotten a second oppinion though, and third and fourth :amuse:

That is the only problem I have with PayPal - the chargeback option.

I have accpeted money (for an engine) via a bank transfer. Just waited until the bank confirmed that the money had cleared and was available before sending engine.

Giving someone your bank details (account name and number plus sort code which is all that is required, plus maybe the BACS code) isn't a problem as this info is on every cheque you write (apart form the BACS code).

Ask them to send you a cheque for the EXACT amount and see what happens :)

That is the only problem I have with PayPal - the chargeback option.

I have accpeted money (for an engine) via a bank transfer. Just waited until the bank confirmed that the money had cleared and was available before sending engine.

Giving someone your bank details (account name and number plus sort code which is all that is required, plus maybe the BACS code) isn't a problem as this info is on every cheque you write (apart form the BACS code).

Ask them to send you a cheque for the EXACT amount and see what happens :)

Noooo I aint takin any chances what so ever!!! :blink: I actually got an answer from the "buyer" saying something like

"This is not my first time buying a car from your country. Can only pay through paypal since it's secure"

I told the t*** not to send anymore mails and I was darn polite too. Answered again to refrain from further contact....:mad: Hope the sod gets it this time.

Last edited by a moderator:
just read the first couple of lines; Haiti, UN Special Envoy - say no more. havent seen the car at all but want to buy. surely a con.

received this quality one yesterday:
Attention:

I am Matthew Wright. The Fund Manager of Fidelity Bank Investment International.As an expert,I have made over £20.7million GBP from the Investor's if you are interested in this proposal so that I will give you relevant details.

Sincerely and Good luck.
Matthew Wright. "

seriously,. i have never heard of you before but amazingly you want to share a way to make millions of pounds???

if anyone wants the email address let me know,

I know. I strung along a 419er for a while, til I got bored. I had him thinking I was the local vicar of a town called Little Bitchington, and the president of the Bridge and Swinger's club. I explained that my delays in answering the emails were due to the strenuous demands of the club.

100% scam.

Run if you ever see the words Paypal, Western Union, going through a divorce, don't need to inspect the car, am on an oil rig, am overseas, will use a delivery agent, will pay you more than the asking price etc.