Insurance Warning for takeaway drivers

pgarner

TC ModFather
Car
Octy smoke machine
Ignorrance isnt an excuse

ok anybody that delivers for takeaways please not that you require business class insurance for this if your using your own car. normal SDC policies do not work and you will be charged with driving without adequate insurance

only reason im putting this up is 2 folk at my work have recently been caught. one got a 3 month ban the other i dont know as hardly see him

Must be an exceptionally picky underwriter to void insurance for someone who's only earning a few extra quid a few times a week.

I do, however, agree with your point. Make sure that you are covered for every single purpose you have to drive your car.

Must be an exceptionally picky underwriter to void insurance for someone who's only earning a few extra quid a few times a week.

not really if you use your vehicle for work you have to be insured for doing so no matter what you earn imho!!!

not really if you use your vehicle for work you have to be insured for doing so no matter what you earn imho!!!

I know this and that's why I find it such a petty issue. I've had class 1 business use for many years. It allows me to drive for business relating to my formal employer's business; for me if I am self employed or in connection with my wife's business. There has never been any additional premium applied to my policy.

Perhaps pizza delivery constitutes hire and reward? The only other thing insurers are wary of is use in connection with 'the motor trade'.

I know this and that's why I find it such a petty issue. I've had class 1 business use for many years. It allows me to drive for business relating to my formal employer's business; for me if I am self employed or in connection with my wife's business. There has never been any additional premium applied to my policy.

Perhaps pizza delivery constitutes hire and reward? The only other thing insurers are wary of is use in connection with 'the motor trade'.

tbh i think pg was just warning people who do this that they need the extra insurance to legally do this
but as you say ive had business insurance for quite a few years now myself for very little extra on my premium and some insurers dont actually charge you for it my mrs for e.g. actually gets it free with tesco

i know its petty and i agree with you but for so little extra cost why ignore you actually need it???

Pizza delivery is often classed as a delivery service and this requires even more use than Class 1 provides on most policies.

Class one is (generally but do check your wording carefully) use in connection with your business and does not cover soliciting for orders (cold calling) or carriage of goods or passengers for reward.

Check your policy wording carefully. Carriage of goods for hire and reward and or delivieries must be specified in the use clause to be covered.

I doubt the cost of the cover will make it viable for a few hours a week work. Most takeaways down our way use Taxi's to deliver food.

There's been another clampdown in our area, I've heard of a few takeaway drivers getting stopped and their insurance was scrutinized very closely. They were friends of mine and thankfully everything was in order (thanks to me telling them to sort it when they got the job.)