installing a turbocharger

RoadKill37

Car
2001 Kia Rio
is there some kind of a work around of getting a log style turbo manifold
installed in my car? although the catalytic converter is attached to my
stock manifold. and what size bolts do I need too bolt the turbocharger
in place?

when you go to fit the turbo you would need to get a manifold made up with the correct fitting.
and a downpipe made up with the cat in it along with the fitting for the turbo as well.

as for what size bolts it will depend on what size the holes are on the turbo

why not try a rear turbo, no manifold work needed, just attach it to the rear silencer, google it, big in the US of A I believe

It's all just plumbing :)

It is indeed but that's the point I'm making - you still have to connect the pressurised side of the turbo to the intake manifold.

If it's a low pressure installation then remote charging will work well but for anything else then lag is likely to present itself as a driveability issue.

Low pressure turbocharging is something that Volvo utilised very successfully during the mid 1990's. The 940 2.3 LPT was only 150bhp but the almost constant air mass delivery created a beautifully flat torque curve and made the car feel much livelier than you'd otherwise think it would feel.

It is indeed but that's the point I'm making - you still have to connect the pressurised side of the turbo to the intake manifold.

If it's a low pressure installation then remote charging will work well but for anything else then lag is likely to present itself as a driveability issue.

Low pressure turbocharging is something that Volvo utilised very successfully during the mid 1990's. The 940 2.3 LPT was only 150bhp but the almost constant air mass delivery created a beautifully flat torque curve and made the car feel much livelier than you'd otherwise think it would feel.

It would have to be low pressure because a conventional turbo wont work well with miles of piping especially if the engine isnt very large - not enough gases to spool a turbo up the same week as when you want it to.

I helped my friend to look after the project titles mechanical .. While surfing I came to know the installation of a turbocharger to a two-stroke engine is possible .. I need some information about installing a turbocharger to two four-stroke gasoline engine.i googled but I could not find information based on my subject.

It would have to be low pressure because a conventional turbo wont work well with miles of piping especially if the engine isnt very large - not enough gases to spool a turbo up the same week as when you want it to.

I can't see it makes too much difference, imagine a hose pipe full of water, any length, when you turn off the tap and turn it on again the water is more or less instant, the length of the hose makes no difference, I guess it is all just basic plumbing and getting the diameter of the pipes correct

I can't see it makes too much difference, imagine a hose pipe full of water, any length, when you turn off the tap and turn it on again the water is more or less instant, the length of the hose makes no difference, I guess it is all just basic plumbing and getting the diameter of the pipes correct

The rigidity of the hose pipe walls makes a huge difference, even with water, which is, for all practical intentions and purposes, totally incompressible.

since I have the intercooler pipes how do I set it up in the rear of my 2001 Kia Rio? also my car does not have a rear silencer, but where does
the intercooler itself come into play? because it is in the front of my car
now.

since I have the intercooler pipes how do I set it up in the rear of my 2001 Kia Rio? also my car does not have a rear silencer, but where does
the intercooler itself come into play? because it is in the front of my car
now.
you probably won't need an intercooler, can I ask why you have a front mount intercooler if you don't have a turbo?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SLEEPER
It would have to be low pressure because a conventional turbo wont work well with miles of piping especially if the engine isnt very large - not enough gases to spool a turbo up the same week as when you want it to

I appreicate you cant see it but that doesnt mean I am wrong.

You example is only dealing with volume only not pressure and water not air

Of course if a pipe is full of water when you turn the tap on water comes out.
But if the pipe is longer the pressure drops - Try putting a fountain on a metre lenght of pipe and then though a 10 metre hose , both with water in . The 1 metre long pipe will give a higher fountain

Plus of course , as already pointed out , air compresses much easier than water

It is a fact that on a turbo system you keep the lenght of pipe/hose as small as possible even if it is all metal ( which wont be affected by pressure at all) the system will work better and retain the same boost easier.

Or put simplz
The more air there is in any system the harder it is to keep it at the same presure.

Last edited:
If the pipe is rigid then the difference will be largely unnoticeable.

This is why hydraulic brakes work so well. Pressure is distributed evenly throughout the system.

But turbochargers work with matter in its 3rd state, ie gaseous.

well despite all that, it seems an easyish cheap way for many extra horses, especially if you can get away with a diesel turbo (easy to find)