I'm a victim

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Why is it always me that gets stuck behind a tractor or a slow moving car! Today there was a long line in front of me behind a tractor on a lovely straight!

Each car took it's turn, and I must say none particularly hurried the manoever to over take the tractor.

The car in front of me timed it fairly late just before a bend and I was stuck behind that stupid tractor for the next 30 minutes!

SO THANKS TO ALL THOSE DODDERY DRIVERS WHO TOOK SO LONG TO DECIDE TO OVERTAKE!

Some do hesitate needlessly.

That's fine but if they don't want to pass then leave some space between themselves and the car in front so those of us who want to 'get on with it' can pass maybe 3-4 cars at a time (10 at once is very ambitious) and then tuck in waiting for the opportunity to clear the rest.

Let's not hammer tractors though. They're essential for getting food ultimately onto our dinner plates. Most tractor drivers are very accommodating and will make spaces for cars to pass safely. But watch and be staggered how many drivers, rather than go past swiftly, simply sit behind the tractor and move to the left in accordance with it's positioning.

You must live in a very tractor driver friendly area HD1:lol:
On most occasions when I have encountered this the tractor keeps on going, at least till it turns off.
Am I wrong IIRC? that one of the Rules of the HC states that such drivers (INCLUDING cARAVANS!!)should move into parking areas (if available!) after so many yards, rather than miles:D To allow following drivers to pass on their way. Yes, some drivers hold back and make no effort to pass. Some go the other way and risk accident or death (not usually them!!) by trying to pass where it is unsafe. Faster cars/ acceleration might be OK on some occasions but not all!
Some MAY have the skills to drive very fast safely and with due care & attention. Others drive with a lead foot and a dead brain. There might have been one on News today who has killed 2 16 yr olds and seriously injured another. He is only 18 himself!!
If we are not at the scene or privy to essential info then we need to hold back on ANY judgement/s. But....... in generalisation don't we always think IDIOT??
Some do hesitate needlessly.

That's fine but if they don't want to pass then leave some space between themselves and the car in front so those of us who want to 'get on with it' can pass maybe 3-4 cars at a time (10 at once is very ambitious) and then tuck in waiting for the opportunity to clear the rest.

Let's not hammer tractors though. They're essential for getting food ultimately onto our dinner plates. Most tractor drivers are very accommodating and will make spaces for cars to pass safely. But watch and be staggered how many drivers, rather than go past swiftly, simply sit behind the tractor and move to the left in accordance with it's positioning.

Glabus posted: "You must live in a very tractor driver friendly area HD1"

I do indeed live in a tractor friendly area. This area is very rural indeed and farming is the basis of the local (rural) economy.

PMSL.Faster motor needed me thinks.:toung:
I would happily have overtaken from 3 or 4 cars back but they kept moving out just as I decided to do so! :evil:

I think drivers should be given the chance to overtake, as they do so they are unlikely to be checking their rear view mirrors and I've nearly been sideswiped a couple of times in the past through this situation! :(

The same thing happened to me yesterday as well! I DON'T BELIEVE IT!

when i';m back in Scotland tend to find the tractor drivers their courteous as well and they often pull over to let a stream of cars past - CARAVANS NEVER AND SHOULD BE BANNED. The only complaint about them is driving at night and not turning the flashing beacon on as sometimes they have very small lights on the back betraying what kind of vehicle it is.

had experience before of a train of cars with most drivers asleep behind the tractor and unwilling to overtake - will fully admit that this was a fool hardy action but ended up overtaking most of the queue of cars as well as the tractor. do not advise this cause of action though as it relies on the other drivers not pulling out into the side of you (which unfortunately means using a mirror which an awful lot of people seem incapable of).

I have just had a trip down to South Wales, and was comming back up the A9 the other day, when a lorry doing 35 held up about 20 drivers, all of who were a little hesitant to overtake.

Im sorry, but I was the git who moved into the oncoming traffic lane and did the whole line of cars in a one'er. I did sit and wate, but the first four cars (3 of whitch were Air Training Cor Vans (full of space cadets)) just were not interested in overtaking, and I wansn't wating 20 miles for duel carrigeway.

Is that bad? I made sure I was safe, and before going past anyone, I made sure that I had a space to pull into if a car came towards me.

Re: Speed limit if no signs showing

I wanted to reply to your quote about overtaking 'dawdlers' behind a tractor but there was no hyperlink in it!
You asked was it bad?
I cannot be sure if it was:confused:
It seems that it WAS ambitious:blink:
20 cars passed:amazed:
My rememberances of driving a van round all of Wales is that many of their A roads are more like Bs (and in some cases Cs). Neither do I recall stretches of straights a mile or more long!!
It can be dangerous to make assumptions as to unknown facts. If I/we were not there we cannot make a definitive judgment. That is why Forensic Scientists are called upon to make informed reports in evidences
In our human generalisations we often judge things at a face value and I do not wish to go into the ins and outs of that.
I assume that the Rally quote was made WITH reference to Rally driving NOT on the open road???
You say that you made sure you were doing this overtaking safely and had seen gap/s where you could pull in.
You have a fast (modded??) Evo!!
I believe that you were lucky that time:blink::blink:
P.S.I do not KNOW if the Forces actually DO have some Rules about not exceeding set limits which are not the same as those other drivers use (I.e designated speeds) but convoys of Forces vehicles do add to the frustration of drivers wanting to get on!! These Cadets were NEVER going to pass!!:D)
In the famous words of the late Colin McCrae, If in doubt, FLAT OUT! :p

(from another old git!!:cheesy:)
To give a fuller reply to this needs a much broader brush than I wish to use at this time:lol:
Briefly then:
I assume that you are not au fay with Council workings, costings, priorities etc etc.
The whole system is a nightmare for any outsider to comprehend. (NO I'm not a bureaucrat or even a Council worker (sweeper!!;))
I have tried to get them to put a central reservation on a road but it was

8 m wide and had to be another half metre!!
BUT...... you state that drivers would slow down if these signs were to be installed.
Perhaps we who like to stick close to the Rules should move near you:lol:Wherever I have driven, which is not too often on a daily basis so the 'crimes' can be multiplied by n; I will always, not sometimes; see some drivers who are totally ignoring speed signs as well as other Rules and commonsense actions.
My quotes can be long enough without doing a War & Peace reiteration of all incidents I see:amuse:
IF your putting your address was to invite private messaging (a letter) I am sure that old git and I might oblige:bigsmile:
I know all of this and I have no problem with the current system for my own purposes. I'm very aware of whatever speed limit is in force and comply with it.

According to you the priority is obtaining convictions.

If the signs I suggested have the desired effect then drivers would slow down and thereby safety would improve. Convictions would fall. That's got to be good.

Who cares if obtaining a conviction becomes a nightmare if the overall effect has been to reduce traffic speed?

I have never known a lamp column be 'nicked'. Does that happen where you are? It doesn't happen here. I don't live on an 'estate road', whatever one of those is.

Do you live on one of those 'estate roads' roads to which you refer?

As for bankrupting the County Councils I have little sympathy. Why charge us for something that is not effective? If what they are doing now is not effective then stop charging us for it.

I also doubt that it would bankrupt the County Councils to install a few signs here and there.

You say that very few lighting columns are placed exactly 186m apart. From this I can logically deduce that SOME ARE!!! So why not bolt on the signs anyway? It might well assist in reducing speeds! Shouldn't cost that much, should it? There won't be many signs needed if the lamps are that far apart.

Steve, you've shown your true colours here. In my opinion they are those of a committed bureaucrat.

Paul Anderson
Ivy's Cottage
Hillesden Road
Gawcott
MK18 4JF

I wanted to reply to your quote about overtaking 'dawdlers' behind a tractor but there was no hyperlink in it!
You asked was it bad?
My rememberances of driving a van round all of Wales is that many of their A roads are more like Bs (and in some cases Cs). Neither do I recallQUOTE]

The A9 is in Scotland. I was coming back up the road. It is a long and wide road, where there is no sudden corners on the whole 120 mile stretch. I could clearly see the whole road, and gaps in the cars in front, if a car would appear in the distance. I do not overtake if it is dangerous. I originally intended to make my way to the front of the queue, but as the road was clear, I kept going. As for the ''If in doubt, flat out'' of course I was joking.

On top of this, who are you to say that I was lucky this time? Is it because you drive a fiesta and consider yourself to be one of the best drivers around? That msg was posted at waynne, as he was saying that he waited in the queue of cars to pass the tractor. I don't feel I have to explain my self. If I was driving a Punto or a 206 or something, would that have made it any better? This annoys me, as people look at my car and automatically assume that im a boy racer who has no regard to the law. I'll have you know it took a long time to save (yes that's right SAVE, no loans) for my car and now im enjoying it. Just because it is a beast of a machine, it annoys me when people put my driving awareness, skill and vision down, as they believe me to be a boy racer and not care. And for your information, I don't know a single boy racer that owns a machine like mine. I do not tale gate, I do not speed, I do not take risks, I do not take corners to quickly, I do not beep my horn at people, I do not drive round town changing gear every 3 seconds so that people can here my dump valve and exhaust, I do give learners pleanty of space, I do let people out of junctions, I do double check the road is save before overtaking, I do consider my self to drive well.

I no longer ride my motorbike as I did not trust hesitant and lazy drivers. That is one luxury taken out of my life, and your not going to make me feel bad for my other source of luxury.

Last edited:

Dont get your dander up Pal.
You.ve called yourself bigbadjoe. Some of your comments used without smileys can be and therefore are probably misinterpreted. Your car IS an Evo. Therefore as a generalisation you WILL get noted as a Boy racer!!
You may well be a better driver than me. Who makes the decision of whose better than who anyway?
The winner of any racetrack event might not be the best driver. He might be the one who is prepared to take more calculated (or not!) risks
If I offended you I apologise to some regard. I am not here to judge you or others. It DId seem that the original quote stated a road in Wales so it seems I got that wrong!
The A9 probably IS all you say and... the situation as you saw the opportunity quite reasonable. No doubt some of those you passed though didn't see it that way.
In Wales it would quite probably been very foolish to attempt it but as you say you are a good careful and considerate driver then I assume that it would have been a NO NO
I am a nobody matey and so are you!!
We write what we think is helpful, informative and sometimes cautionary replies.#
IF you are upset my my offerings then dont read em and I wont answer yours again. Otherwise let us settle back to a normal relationship and continue the debates as before
Ball in your court
You asked was it bad?
My rememberances of driving a van round all of Wales is that many of their A roads are more like Bs (and in some cases Cs). Neither do I recallQUOTE]

The A9 is in Scotland. I was coming back up the road. It is a long and wide road, where there is no sudden corners on the whole 120 mile stretch. I could clearly see the whole road, and gaps in the cars in front, if a car would appear in the distance. I do not overtake if it is dangerous. I originally intended to make my way to the front of the queue, but as the road was clear, I kept going. As for the ''If in doubt, flat out'' of course I was joking.

On top of this, who are you to say that I was lucky this time? Is it because you drive a fiesta and consider yourself to be one of the best drivers around? That msg was posted at waynne, as he was saying that he waited in the queue of cars to pass the tractor. I don't feel I have to explain my self. If I was driving a Punto or a 206 or something, would that have made it any better? This annoys me, as people look at my car and automatically assume that im a boy racer who has no regard to the law. I'll have you know it took a long time to save (yes that's right SAVE, no loans) for my car and now im enjoying it. Just because it is a beast of a machine, it annoys me when people put my driving awareness, skill and vision down, as they believe me to be a boy racer and not care. And for your information, I don't know a single boy racer that owns a machine like mine. I do not tale gate, I do not speed, I do not take risks, I do not take corners to quickly, I do not beep my horn at people, I do not drive round town changing gear every 3 seconds so that people can here my dump valve and exhaust, I do give learners pleanty of space, I do let people out of junctions, I do double check the road is save before overtaking, I do consider my self to drive well.

I no longer ride my motorbike as I did not trust hesitant and lazy drivers. That is one luxury taken out of my life, and your not going to make me feel bad for my other source of luxury.

How is it that generalisation states that Evo drivers are boy racers? I would class a boy racer on how they drive. What ''boy racer'' could afford such a car?

For the price of a New Evo, you could buy a second hand Labo Diablo. Would that be classed as a ''boy racer'' car? The answer to that is no, as you would then be looked upon as an enthusiast.

Its not personal to you, its just it annoys me when people class men who drive 4 wheel drive rally cars as boy racers.

And BBJ isn't a name I have given for myself, it is my nickname as I play rugby.

I am more than happy for you to reply to my posts, I just don't appreciate people who sit on there high horse and class people that they do not know, and I felt you were doing that.

I am not here to fall out with anyone and I know I don't always use :D. My bad.
Lets all be friends :love:

Yes indeed, lets all be fiends (sorry friends:bigsmile:)
I have said it before and I say it again. The written word as well as the spoken can, quite often be misinterpreted and the reader gets the wrong impression. That is bound to happen We are all human:blink:
I was not trying to be derogatory as to your driving. It seemed that it was a somewhat risky move when I thought you were in Wales:confused:
Had I been with you on that occasion I too might have suggested you got your foot down:p
AS our S1600 IS distinctive then I too might be classed as a boy racer type by those who see it in our drive or, certainly; on the road:eek: Other 'real' BRs might wish to prove their car better by offerring to race away from me or try to push me to go faster by riding my back bumper. I am not into responding!
let me end with this:
I take onboard your points as to your considerate and safe driving,however the A9 IS designated "The road of death" isn't it? with an average of 112 accidents per year with 6 fatalities!!
We both consider ourselves 'good' drivers:bigsmile:
Others may not be. I wouldn't want to hear of your demise through anothers' fault!!:(
Cheers for now and remember BCOT (= be careful out there:love:I AM glad we cannot??? meet I shouldn't get a rugby player:mad::mad:
How is it that generalisation states that Evo drivers are boy racers? I would class a boy racer on how they drive. What ''boy racer'' could afford such a car?

For the price of a New Evo, you could buy a second hand Labo Diablo. Would that be classed as a ''boy racer'' car? The answer to that is no, as you would then be looked upon as an enthusiast.

Its not personal to you, its just it annoys me when people class men who drive 4 wheel drive rally cars as boy racers.

And BBJ isn't a name I have given for myself, it is my nickname as I play rugby.

I am more than happy for you to reply to my posts, I just don't appreciate people who sit on there high horse and class people that they do not know, and I felt you were doing that.

Yes indeed, lets all be fiends (sorry friends:bigsmile:)
I have said it before and I say it again. The written word as well as the spoken can, quite often be misinterpreted and the reader gets the wrong impression. That is bound to happen We are all human:blink:
I was not trying to be derogatory as to your driving. It seemed that it was a somewhat risky move when I thought you were in Wales:confused:
Had I been with you on that occasion I too might have suggested you got your foot down:p
AS our S1600 IS distinctive then I too might be classed as a boy racer type by those who see it in our drive or, certainly; on the road:eek: Other 'real' BRs might wish to prove their car better by offerring to race away from me or try to push me to go faster by riding my back bumper. I am not into responding!
let me end with this:
I take onboard your points as to your considerate and sfe driving,however the A9 IS designated "The road of death" isn't it? with an average of 112 accidents per year with 6 fatalities!!
We both consider ourselves 'good' drivers:bigsmile:
Others may not be. I wouldn't want to hear of your demise through anothers' fault!!:(
Cheers for now and remember BCOT (= be careful out there:love:I AM glad we cannot??? meet I shouldn't get a rugby player:mad::mad:

bigbadjoe - is that bad? As long as you were safe and were ready for one of the overtaken cars to start pulling out on you then no. There is nothing wrong with overtaking and keeping out of other peoples way on the roads. If none of the other cars were making a move i'd probably have done the same thing.

It almost seems as if one does it all the others suddenly remember that they can overtake things, they just all took so long about it and went one by one! :evil:

Doddery drivers can be annoying, keep in mind however that they may simply not posses the overtaking power that many on this forum can take for granted. im not the slowest driver. but i still need a lot of space to overtake safely in my little ford.

I am however aware when a faster car approaches, because of the mirrors, which i use.

sweet road, was coming back down from Aviemore before, late summer and on the sonecd last piece of dual carrigeway let rip past all the numpties that had been messing about creating a nice long train - oops, straight past the unmarked police car.

sweet road, was coming back down from Aviemore before, late summer and on the sonecd last piece of dual carrigeway let rip past all the numpties that had been messing about creating a nice long train - oops, straight past the unmarked police car.

Bugger! Did he pull you? :blink:

luckily, due to the road continually moving in and out of dual carriageway, had passed so many cars that it wasnt easy to see where i was and with a clear road in front just went along - at the speed limit - and took the next turn off down one of those nice handy 'b' roads that they have thoughtfully linked in just for this kind of caper.
sweaty hands time. the wife was visibly unamused.
but they shuold really put some money into this road and create a dual carriageway all the way along as often a lot of traffic on this road.

before someone trys to shoot me down (not looking just at you glabus) i wasnt, if at all, far outside of the speed limit, maybe 71mph i/o 70mph, :blink1:

The written word again??:lol:
I am not going to shoot you down!
I am just as willing to exceed the speed limit as the next man . WHERE it is safe to do so. Overtaking several cars AND Patrol cars too:bigsmile: I am not saintly, I just believe that some Rules are there for a purpose. So, though I have done over a ton on a Mway and 90 plus on a dual It is not something I am proud of or, condone. I keep towards if not under the 30/40/50 limits. I also have a SDD in my car (Speed Deterent Device) which I have had in EVERY car we have owned. It is often referred to as a WIFE:amuse:
Remember what I often say in my replies."As I was not there!!"
When I read some of these quotes/replies I COULD read it as the act of a fool, but it can ALSO be seen as a lawful act without danger to anyone (normally[ remember idiots who pull out without using mirrors])
It all would depend on the circumstances at the scene and time
I would be quite prepared to overtake several cars at high speed in the RIGHT and CALCULATED situation and that!! is a decision only to be made by the driver who is there and is now relating the event. Any other person can only surmise what was foolish, dangerous move, or perfectly OK
It is one reason why I like to use smileys here.:)
I believe that they help to indicate that a remark should not be taken as Gospel/True/Serious OR jokey:bigsmile:
Some of you might suppose that I am on the side of the Police? I am not. But.... nor am I on the side of a petrolhead
Anyway, I'll be on hols in France next week (that boy at the back who shouted Hooray leave the classroom now!!) so you can all relax:lol::cheesy:
I found a quote I'd quite like to add to my replies/quotes:

Light travels faster than sound! That is why some people seem bright until they speak:lol::lol::lol:

DMOC anyway:amazed:
before someone trys to shoot me down (not looking just at you glabus) i wasnt, if at all, far outside of the speed limit, maybe 71mph i/o 70mph, :blink1: