Idris Elba breaks land speed record in Bentley Continental GT

Cool.

I kind of like these driven wheel land speed records more than the pure rocket car ones - cos those are really an exercise in stopping a wingless plane from taking off.

Cool.

I kind of like these driven wheel land speed records more than the pure rocket car ones - cos those are really an exercise in stopping a wingless plane from taking off.

More less what I said a few years back. The clever bit is keeping the thing on the ground and in one piece.

Aircraft rely on aerodynamic lift, cars rely upon aerodynmaic downforce.

400mph would be a victory for a car, for an aircraft it's wholly unremarkable.

Furthermore, adding 6mph to a record set 88 years ago is not really remarkable.

The fact that all new cars now can be driven safely at speeds double that which 1927 cars would never reach anyway is a better testimony to progress.

Last edited:
It was an obscure/almost forgotten record that was up for someone to break so it will almost certainly not last as long as Bluebirds IMO.

At least it gives Bentley their moment of glory, albeit a tad hollow. Idris is up for anything, good on him for having a crack.

How the hell is that a land speed record? This article makes no sense when every year there's a meeting in Nevada, USA at the salt flats and cars destroy this time every year. Is this for a production car? In which case, there's half a dozen super cars that would make the Bentley weep....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_speed_record

Is it because it's the "flying mile" in Wales speed record? If so than that is not the world speed record at all now is it? I don't understand this article.

How the hell is that a land speed record? This article makes no sense when every year there's a meeting in Nevada, USA at the salt flats and cars destroy this time every year. Is this for a production car? In which case, there's half a dozen super cars that would make the Bentley weep....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_speed_record

Is it because it's the "flying mile" in Wales speed record? If so than that is not the world speed record at all now is it? I don't understand this article.

It isn't a landapeed record but it is a world speed record cause it's the fastest anyone has done on this stretch of sand;)

I reckon we have a few members on here who could seriously crack this record in their cars. ;)

It isn't a landapeed record but it is a world speed record cause it's the fastest anyone has done on this stretch of sand;)

A bit of an arbitrary record then. I could break the speed record on the A418 by driving along it at 50mph simply becuase no one previously bothered entering it into the record books.
What a load of nonsense, hitting 180mph in a car that is readily capable of more simply by virtue of mapping out the limiter.

I did 40 MPH on Sinclair Hills Rd! It's about 1 mile. I have the International World Landspeed record for Sinclair Hills Rd. Because I say so.

OK, I like how this game works. Where's my champagne and women?