How to really learn to drive.

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
So you've passed your test, & you enjoy driving but what is the best way to improve your driving skills?

Would a few track days help, perhaps a good driving reference book or video, what about an intensive driving course or advanced test, or would you learn everything you need on a long road trip?

What things improved your skills the most?

IMO I would recommend that a defensive driving course should be the first step to becoming a better safer driver followed by a skid pan course which allows easy loss of control to develop feel for the cars grip levels and how it behaves when that grip is lost for starters.

I think that new drivers today would benefit from an advanced driving course straight after the basic one, also an excursion on to the motorway under trained supervision would be a sensible thing to do as well. Experience will come to them over time, some things are just better when not rushed.

Unfortunately, most drivers aren't at all interested in improving their driving skills. Once they pass the test that's it.

My eyes were opened to just how bad most drivers are when something unusual confronts them when I was supervising road works.

Many don't see the warning signs so are surprised when confronted by a closed road. When asked about the warning signs the most common responses were that they swear blind that there weren't any or say that they didn't think it applied to them as they were locals.

They are confused by the simplest of diversions. One driver said that they only knew this route so how could she get home?

Watching people attempting to turn round when a road is closed could be hilarious. More than once I had to show a driver where reverse gear was!(one lady said that her husband reversed the car off the drive for her).

Unfortunately, most drivers aren't at all interested in improving their driving skills. Once they pass the test that's it.

My eyes were opened to just how bad most drivers are when something unusual confronts them when I was supervising road works.

Many don't see the warning signs so are surprised when confronted by a closed road. When asked about the warning signs the most common responses were that they swear blind that there weren't any or say that they didn't think it applied to them as they were locals.

They are confused by the simplest of diversions. One driver said that they only knew this route so how could she get home?

Watching people attempting to turn round when a road is closed could be hilarious. More than once I had to show a driver where reverse gear was!(one lady said that her husband reversed the car off the drive for her).

That reinforces my belief that many would not pass the test if they had to be retested today.

Many wouldn't pass the test. However, if examiners are looking for capable and safe experienced drivers to 'ape' learners then we'd possibly all fail, and for all the wrong reasons.

Skid pan training is a good plan, if for no other reason that once you learn how to control a skid (there are many many different types of skid) you learn what provoked it. Taking this further, once one is aware of how to provoke a skid - or loss of control - then it's very easy to learn how to NOT provoke one.

There is a danger with advanced tests and certificates and that danger is attitude. Many drivers who have taken and passed 'advanced' driving tests can become less safe on the road as their attitude leads them to believe they are truly superior [compared to others who have not undertaken such instruction, training and examination] road users and thus take greater risks.

There is a danger with advanced tests and certificates and that danger is attitude. Many drivers who have taken and passed 'advanced' driving tests can become less safe on the road as their attitude leads them to believe they are truly superior [compared to others who have not undertaken such instruction, training and examination] road users and thus take greater risks.

Really! :amazed:

I had never looked at that scenario before, I suppose it is entirely possible.

Fortunately, this is not the norm. Most of the drivers undertaking advanced road training do so because they want to become better drivers and the training includes atitude and is based on defensive driving.

However, I would be more inclinded to belive this of those who have undertaken track day training which is not about defensive driving :)

HDI had nailed it!!! IMHO it will almost certainly come down to the individuals ATTITUDE and how they see / regard themselves as drivers and the willingness to want to improve their knowledge and skills and not lapse into bad/dangerous habits.
Fwiw I regard myself as a 6 out of 10 level but have seen many poor drivers rate themselves far higher in my years as an DD and AD instructor.