how to drive a new car

paulgolding

Torque Junkie
Car
vw t4 caravelle 2.5
I've looked through the manual and online and nowhere does it say the engine (Diesel) on the 307cc has to be run in.

Is there a way you should drive the car for the first few miles or can you just get in it and see how it flies ?? !!

Yeah I would like to know the answer to this too. Bloke in work claims you don't have to run in new cars anymore and that they do it at the factory. I said to him fine then, give me the keys to your new Clio and let me bounce it off the limiter in every gear and let's see what happens!

I don't see how this can be true. I've always known it as you run in a car so that everything has a chance to settle down and wear in. There's also a noticeable difference in fuel economy, oil consumption and power once a car has been properly run in.

Last edited:
This is a long debated subject. Firstly, Paul (Golding, not Garner) first impressions of the Pug? They're better than they used to be (thankfully).

Running in - In my opinion it's best to keep varying engine speeds during the process. Even if this means reselecting 4/5/6th gear every few minutes on the motorway yet holding a fairly steady road speed.

Much like normal driving, gentle when the engine and oil are both cold. And let it cool down before switching off after a spirited drive.

I think the old days of no more than 3000rpm are gone.

After a few hundred miles you need to stretch things and build up revs and load progressively towards full power and torque.

Much like bedding in brakes - gently for a few dozen miles. Then build up the forces and heat. Once the pads first show signs of smoke it's done. Now it's time to drive gently while they cool off.

Hills and similar high torque work at lower rpm speeds will help everything bed in. Be very paranoid about not driving mediumly hard with a cold engine for the first 2000 miles or so. (You should never drive an engine hard from cold but you need to lower the parameters a little on a new engine.)

Is there a break in service after a few hundred miles? This oil change will take out a lot of metal particles from the break in process. A filter magnet is a brilliant idea on such a new engine.

thanks guys. Hdi Fun, I will post a new thread up hopefully today about the new car but early signs are good ;)

Gonna take our little boy out today so we'll get a bit of a drive and test it out.