How much HP is too much for the road

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What do you reckon that the maximum usable HP is you can have on a road car.

I would say a FWD tops out at 250 but with a RWD or 4x4 I think 500 would be more than enough?:blink:

Traction is the biggest problem we face with high power cars. That said though reliability will surely come into it?

What do you reckon that the maximum usable HP is you can have on a road car.

I would say a FWD tops out at 250 but with a RWD or 4x4 I think 500 would be more than enough?:blink:

Traction is the biggest problem we face with high power cars. That said though reliability will surely come into it?

There is no upper limit for the car, it's the skill level of the driver that is the limiting factor.

I still think there is a practical limit - especially on a wet road.

Admittedly it does depend a lot on the driver and any traction control gadgets fitted.

Lucky for me the R34 has TC fitted as standard

I think you right with those figures waynne. Theres no point having more than 250 in FWD because you would never be able to get that power down. (Makes the new RS a complete waste of a decent car)

RWD/4WD 500BHP with traction control is more than enough

I agree with OG, you can have too much that you can't afford to put fuel in your tank anymore but apart from that it can really depend on the driver. Just becuase you have a powerful car doesn't mean you have to drive it hard all the time neither. I can't really talk from experience though.

P.s. I intend to have 350bhp + in my Civic.

I was getting just over 700HP to the wheels in my Z. Most of the time I didn't use more than about 30% of the horses under the hood. But it is fun showing some idiot in a ricer how tuning should be. Also its fun to open her up on the track/drag strip. My personal oppinion should be that if you treat your car like a toy no more than 100hp for any but for those of us who are mature enough however much you feel comfortable driving. I hate the kids out there that put money into thier cars and then act like an idiot on the road.

We had a similar discussion some time back. My point was that you can never have too much power, it's down to the driver to manage in properly. So again, Waynne, I agree with OG.

You do wonder though, why anyone needs to have a six litre supercharged engine with 1000lbft when the traction control is stretched to it's limits with a 5 litre NATASP one anyway.

Not some much sledgehammers and nuts, more hydraulically operated industrial presses and nuts.

We had a similar discussion some time back. My point was that you can never have too much power, it's down to the driver to manage in properly. So again, Waynne, I agree with OG.

Now, look here HD (and you, Prince), enough of this agreeing with me or I will start to get a complex :)

After all, me m8s Cawsa Spawt wiv da big bore pipe decat n flode hed rebore from 1.2 to 8.2 litres does kworter in 4 seconds so wots wiv da 10.53 fing?

"How much does the car weigh?"

About 150kg if the numbers are correct!

Ignore HD, wcnwzrd, he must be having a turn afer agreeing with me again :)

Still interested in weight of car and, excusing my ignorance, what Z is it?

"glad i have contracted work for the next 10 years "

It's becoming increasingly rare in this current economic climate. I ditched formal employment in 2002 due to ill health and am now self employed so to a degree I am at the mercy of the winds of economic change.

It's worldwide, PG. But some factions are hanging on to a lot of cash. So much so that they're basically controlling the value of the pound coins in our pockets.

Maybe it's time for a peasants revolt. Sadly any kind of protest is now treated as a criminal activity.

So much for democracy :-(

i'm employed by the U.S. Navy. As long as i don't cause any trouble and keep my training up, I have a job. Planning on at least the next 10 to 14 years here. Good thing is though, when i do retire i will only be 40 and get a paycheck every month for the rest of my life, not to mention the medical benifits are alot better for retires than most employment health plans.

I'm another of the self employed. Thankfully I have quite a few contracts but I can see my clients starting to struggle. People are just not spending money!

It is times like these that us tea drinking, lazing about, waste of space, local authority 'workers' start to smile. During the good times we earn far less than self-employed and private company employees. However, during difficult times we are very well protected from the ravages of recession. Swings and roundabouts.

Keep in there, it will turn round.

I think there is no limit to the power. The key is setup. If you can get the setup right anything is possible.

This is true but you don't want to give a 1200HP car to a new driver or a recless one for that matter. I think they should have different classes of license for HP. Give you only so much til you can prove that you aren't going to be a jack *** with it and then let you get a higher limit. i would say about 6 months to a year for the time frame. Sort of like the moped/scooter then car rule that some countries have.

This is true but you don't want to give a 1200HP car to a new driver or a recless one for that matter. I think they should have different classes of license for HP. Give you only so much til you can prove that you aren't going to be a jack *** with it and then let you get a higher limit. i would say about 6 months to a year for the time frame. Sort of like the moped/scooter then car rule that some countries have.

I agree with everything you say mate but I thought we was just talking about bhp not who's gonna drive it? But I understand what your saying. I know loads of young lads round here when they first passed their parents bought them their first car an as most places at the time did saxo vtr's with free insurance ir's obvious they ain't gonna have the car long.....

OG: "It is times like these that us tea drinking, lazing about, waste of space, local authority 'workers' start to smile. During the good times we earn far less than self-employed and private company employees. However, during difficult times we are very well protected from the ravages of recession. Swings and roundabouts."

I totally agree with you there. There's a lot to be said for working in the public sector in terms of job security. Pensions and other benefits are attractive as well.