How did she do it

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
My wife got 46.9 mpg from our car yesterday evening, the book says 41mpg on a run. We travelled for just 15 minutes with 6 minutes being urban driving.

She wasn't going slow or dawdling either! My journey out to the restaurant which was an exact reverse journey yielded 34.5mpg!

Last edited:
My wife got 46.9 mpg from our car yesterday evening, the book says 41mpg on a run. We travelled for just 15 minutes with 6 minutes being urban driving.

She wasn't going slow or dawdling either! My journey out to the restuarant which was an exact reverse journey yielded 34.5mpg!

Was the journey home downhill by any chance? we have to think of an excuse to explain this or your pub bragging rights have gone by the wayside! :sad2:
Oh the shame and the indignity of it all :)

I'll be a real saddo and get the OS contour map out and see! I would appreciate having a great excuse for this.

15 minutes worth of driving is not far enough to establish reliable figures so it might be best to muddy the waters a bit.

How about this:-

You drove there so you had the disadvantage of the initial cold start. When she restarted the engine to go back home it was already warm.

I like that. Also the ride home is downhill from Dover to Deal by enough to skew the results. We have to drive in reverse and average the results I suppose. (Am I allowed to drive backwards along a main road? :lol::eek:)

The gravitational pull of the moon Sucked the alluminium body along making it use less juice! But going the other way had the opposite effect!!

Wind behind you? Down hill? You said you drove there, and she drove back (im guessing thats because you had a drink), do you think that you were maby that drunk, that you got out and pushed the car back to the house?

Women. They are a strange beast. My woman once opend a packet of crisps without opening the top, bottom, or the seem that runs down the back. She didn't use any sissors and it was a foil pack (not tesco's own brand in a plastic pack). :blink::confused:

What do you recon your misses can get out of an Evo then?

Wind behind you? Down hill? You said you drove there, and she drove back (im guessing thats because you had a drink), do you think that you were maby that drunk, that you got out and pushed the car back to the house?

Women. They are a strange beast. My woman once opend a packet of crisps without opening the top, bottom, or the seem that runs down the back. She didn't use any sissors and it was a foil pack (not tesco's own brand in a plastic pack). :blink::confused:

What do you recon your misses can get out of an Evo then?

:lol: I've never ever been drunk in my life and no intention of doing so;)

I think she'd get a good 35 out of your Evo round town! Want to lend it to us for a week so we can prove it to you? ;)

:lol: I've never ever been drunk in my life and no intention of doing so;)

I think she'd get a good 35 out of your Evo round town! Want to lend it to us for a week so we can prove it to you? ;)

No problem, but that will mean i'll need to leand T9's beast, and he can leand your Audi!! lol

Do a sort of torque cars three way swap!!

Hold on! :amazed: you have never been drunk! Say What!! This gives me an idea for a new thread. ;)

This is similar to when I took the Robin Hood to North Weald for a Run-Wot-Ya-Brung meet. I managed a 15.4 and my son did a 15.2! I blamed it on the difference in our weights but that didn't prove correct. Finally decided that I was giving it too many beans off the line and spiinning the wheels too much whilst he, being more circumspect as he didn't want to damage my toy, took it easier and got better traction :) A lesson there I think.

That's Ok, I got 91.4 out of mine the other day.

Downhill run from Tansley to Matlock - put it in 4th and let it go :D.

I have to say, after hills it seems to be stop/start and waiting at traffic lights that ruins economy. I can get anything from 40 to 55mpg on the home run depending on the time of day (rush hour = crap, 10pm = great).

:lol: Welcome back MsE.

I did the run in the same direction and netted 39mpg, so she's doing something right there! Perhaps if I had cruise control i'd be closer!

Hi Waynne... good to be back, I've missed you guys and spent a bit too long on 2 wheels, but back to four for a while now..

hahaha maybe she just doesn't press as hard on the accelerator as you do??

I get 8.8 most of the time, driving style: well..in my eyes I would say it's normal ;)
Sometimes display shows even 3.8 MPG.
But when I get 14 or 16 MPG, then you can tell straight away that there is something wrong with me, some terrible infection or something ;)

So I wouldn't bother to much about it :)

But on a serious side, I don't how is in your A4, but mine A8 two on board computers, (I'm sure you know this stuff, but you know, just in case ;) 1st one shows the consumption only for each single journey (engine on/off), and 2nd one for the entire time until you reset them both.
So...either you messed up something on your onboard comp or ladies are the masters in MPGs

Nope- ladies are the masters. I did the same run same conditions and only managed 42mpg! :) I was also driving carefully and not particularly quick!

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back