Hi! Newbie looking for some advice please!

Kev82

Car
AstraGTC 2.0CDTiSRi
Hi,
My names Kev from Hartlepool (N.East of UK) I'm 31 and have recently come across this forum through Google while hunting for some advice/info on Re Mapping my car.

Basically I have a 14 reg Vauxhall Astra GTC 2.0CDTi with Eco Flex and 750 miles on the clock. I love the car, it's spacious, got plenty of gadgets, looks lovely and has a decent engine with just a few flaws. It's a Turbo so I have flat spots in 2nd and 3rd gear and is a little sloppy in accelerating (I know it's a diesel but I have had quicker accelerating diesels before) it does 500 miles approx on a full tank town running and would love to spice up the power somewhat.

I've been looking into getting it re mapped and have had a few quotes of price and what to expect in improvements (BHP etc.) I've been quoted between £200-£320 and have been told to expect a slight improvement in MPG and approx. 28-40 BHP extra. My Astra is 165BHP as it is so taking it to around a max of 205BHP sounds ideal to me.

I am wondering if anybody has had this model of car re mapped already and if they found it worthwhile/not worthwhile, if there was any problems afterwards and if they could recommend a company to use.

Sorry for the long intro post, just thought I could chance my arm and I look forward to seeing if I can get any replies!

Best Regards,
Kev.

Greetings and a Warm Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend!

Good to have you along with us :)

Not sure if you looked at these people yet but try: Viezu and Celtic Tuning for diesel remaps, they come highly recommended.

Howdo bud. Can't comment on your particular car but having remapped a Bora and a Focus diesel I know it's a win-win. More power and torque when you need it and better mpg when cruising.

All I would say is that on remapping a turbo diesel it is easy to take the map beyond the torque rating of your gearbox so discuss this with your mapper. My Bora was remapped from 130bhp/225lbft to 170/290. I could have gone higher, 190/330 but my gearbox was only rated to 300lbft max so I didn't. And believe me, 290 was more than enough.

It will also lengthen the boost range, so it'll come in earlier and stay longer, it transforms 3rd gear overtaking.

Have a bit of a google on torque rating. It's the same box and engine as the Insignia so there should be some info out there about it.

One thing tho - if it is a 14 plate I'm guessing it is still under warranty? A remap might void this.

Car sounds nice. I like those new Astras.

Firstly, thank you to you all for the Welcomes and replies it's greatly appreciated.

T9 Many thanks for the link, I will certainly make use of that and appreciate the recommendations it's always good to have someone give you a name or brand to trust.

Yugguy, that post has really helped me a lot thank you for taking the time to give me the info you have. I have checked on the torque ratings etc as you mention. I do know as my Astra stands its at 280lb pulling power and the info I've found says the max torque is 350 so that should allow my car to be boosted to 208BHP and have plenty of room left.

Yes the car is still under warranty which is something after reading last night I've found is a bit of a problem. It's a risk to do it and want as much info as possible before even booking an appointment to get it done.

Again, thanks for the in depth info you have provided mate, the car is lovely, I highly recommend them to anyone who is after a Diesel with the looks and gadgets any bloke would need!

Last edited:
Ah I didnt realise that could be done? Would it be traceable that its been in and then removed from my car if Vauxhall service it? I know now for sure my warranty would be void if I remap the car so ideally being able to remove it before any services and such would be the perfect way for me to go about this.

Are these Bluefins you refer to available from any place that will remap my car? Are they more expensive? Sorry for the amount of questions I'm not as technically astute with cars as yourself!

No worries. They are from superchips.co.uk but I dont know if they do one for yours yet. They are usually about 300 quid but they are useful as they store both the original and performance map.

As for detection, some ecus have a counter that reports how many times the map has changed.

As far as i'm aware the only way to tell if the cars been remapped is by putting it on a rolling road. A service wouldn't uncover that the car had been remapped.

I had the same engine in my Vx Line Astra and it was rapid.
Pulled like a train in all gears. It was a case of floor it and your gone.
As long as you have the Black TI bit on the cdti badge then the engine is 165 bhp and 250 lb/ft of torque. Remapping should see roughly 200 bhp and 350 lb/ft of torque.
And also a remap may not void the warranty.

I would be very surprised if a remap didn't void your warrenty. However, a quick call to Vauxhall would clear that up.

As for Bluefin, this is quite an expensive option and the map will be generic I believe. Remaps from the likes of Celtic are tailored to your particular car.

How long until the warranty expires?

Hello and a warm but belated (very sorry for my delay) welcome from me the site admin, really good to have you along.

I hope you enjoy the forums as much as we do. Please get involved in our many discussions and topics, we love to hear peoples opinions and questions.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back