hi from southwest france

Bobbyg

Car
Audi RS4 B7
Hello from southwest France, I have a 2006 Audi Rs4 b7, seem to have blown piston rings on cylinder 5, engine is going to be removed stripped and rebuilt, any suggestions on upgrades whilst this is in bits would be great, work being done by local Porche garage.

IF you are not worried about cost then I would see if there are higher compression lighter forged pistons and rods that would allow faster response and use TOTAL SEAL gapless rings for better gas seal/less blow by along with balancing of the rotating assembly.
The head should be reconditioned and larger diameter valves fitted with a clean up of the ports and intake runners to remove any casting imperfections and the IM match ported to the head. The valve springs should be checked to see if they are still in spec or replaced with suitable new springs.
You can also install titanium caps and retainers on them.

Port matching of the exhaust manifold should be carried out at the same time to remove any restrictions/miss alignment and or a set of tubular freer flowing headers fitted and a less restrictive post header exhaust system.

The injectors should be cleaned and flow tested along with a new fuel filter installed.

Would also advise dyno tune to tweak the computer fuel and ignition settings to maximise the benefits of the above rebuild.

May I suggest you read and take on board what I believe to be the best way to break in a new or reconditioned motor.??

The only metal to metal contact in the motor that needs bedding other than cam lobes and followers in are the rings and there is only a small window of opportunity to do it properly.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Last edited:
Hello and a very warm, if a little late, welcome to TorqueCars from me the admin! Really nice to have you along.

Keep reading the articles on our site and this forum... you'll pick up loads of good common sense tips and don't be afraid to post questions, were all here to share our knowledge and experience.

We run a really fun and interesting car community and many have said we're the friendliest around, always ready to help out where we can.

Enjoy your time with us, post loads and feel free to ask any questions or begin new threads and discussions. We're always interested to hear your comments and views on our existing topics and in the hot polls.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back