Hi from Canada (near Toronto)

S

Silverghost

I just joined the site today because my wife's car needs some TLC.
It is a 1998 Golf Cabrio bought new in the Boston, Mass area - Green with tan softtop (manual) and manual transmission with electric windows.
The last 2 years the car was not run and just sat in the garage because of a Check Engine Light (CEL) that we could not get cleared.
Well, now my wife wants the car to be roadworthy again. The ECU (Computer) has been replaced with a used one and the CEL is gone, BUT in its place is a red Airbag light. We are getting our local VW dealer to clear this, replace the timing belt (161,100 miles), fix a broken rear cupholder and replace a dried up windscreen rubber mould.
She will attempt to clean the light coloured seat covers and interior trim that is filthy from the abuse by 2 young children and their spilled foods and drinks!!
After this is done, we will be addressing some rust spots on the rear wheel arches and along the side panels at the bottoms and joints.
I would like to get the front headlamps upgraded to what may be called "Angel Eye" headlamps(?).
I would like to lower the suspension to give a sportier look.
I would like to get some better looking wheel rims (not excessively different size).
The radio needs to upgraded to use Bluetooth with the cellphones.

My wife competes in a lot or Ironman events and I was thinking I would put a bike carrier on the back of the car - something like the Kuat NV - check it out - really nice

I would like to improve the power/performance from the engine and don't know where to start.
I was thinking of a chip in the ECU but after that I am at a loss of what to look at next. I am not looking for a massive increase in power, just a noticeable increase in performance that might involve air intake (specs to found out) and improved exhaust system (specs would be appreciated also).

So any of you kindhearted folks out there willing to give me some advice on any of the above would be very much appreciated.

So the plan is just drive it for the rest of the summer and fall/autumn and then in the winter get the bodywork, suspension and wheels as well as the power/performance looked at - in time for Spring 2016

Thanks in advance for your support

Welcome to a great forum.
Is it petrol or diesel.
IF Petrol and non turbo then a good port and polish along with port matched manifolds along with a sportier cam and a good set of headers/extractors and a freeflowing exhaust system BEFORE you get it remapped/dyno tuned for the best end result|B

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back