Hi from Az

Mykk

Wrench Pro
Car
BMW E34 540/6spd
Heya from Arizona. Avid automotive enthusiast and tinkerer. I'm trying to get my post count up so you guys can see my build thread of a '95 BMW. Cheers

Hello and a warm welcome to TorqueCars from me the admin! Really nice to have you along.
Sorry for my slow reply, I've been so busy behind the scenes on here lately I have some major catching up to do.

Keep reading the articles on our site and this forum... you'll pick up loads of good common sense tips.

We run a really fun and interesting car community and many have said we're the friendliest around, always ready to help out where we can.

Enjoy your time with us, post loads and feel free to ask any questions or begin new threads and discussions. We're always interested to hear your comments and views on our existing topics and in the hot polls.

He'll need all the power he can get, Prescott is at 5,400 ft elevation.
Flag is even more at around 7,000.

It's true. I've been fighting the elevation since I moved here. Going down the hill to Phoenix it feels like I bolted on a supercharger.

Prescott & surrounding towns are relatively flat. Yet I do get a couple of mountain spars to choose from for test drives.

My wife and I visited Prescott about 20 years ago, drove up the I17 from Phoenix then along Highway 69 it was about September if i remember correctly. The hotel we stayed in was either the Red Butte or the Lone Butte, way up a hill with a great view of the town and surrounding area way down the valley. The town centre was definitely old fashioned, in fact low rent in some areas, might have changed since then. It's funny, you don't seem to get the idea of over 5,000 ft elevation there, weather was great but the locals told us in winter time the snow and ice could get real nasty.

I moved to Prescott 9 years ago, moved away to Los Angeles for a couple of years and then came back. I've seen the area grow exponentially in the time I've been here. The downtown courthouse square does maintain that "Wild Wild West" vibe, especially along Whiskey Row. But, really that is just for tourists. Granted, the town itself is rather behind the times and the internal economy is rather slow. But you are correct, the residential real estate and rents are cheap. Commercial real estate/rent/lease is unusually high. I am paying exactly half for my 2 BR apartment two blocks from the downtown courthouse square then what I was for my 1 BR apartment in Los Angeles....and fathom this, my Prescott apartment is 7 times cheaper then my San Francisco apartment.

The only side effect that I noticed about the elevation change when I moved here was constantly being tired all of the time and then ready to fall asleep by 3pm. It took me roughly a year to adapt.

We get a four season climate, including snow in the winter. I rather appreciate the snow, it's very pretty.

U.S.A-Prescott1Arizona.jpg

My apartment is about a block north from where this pic was taken :)

Just around the corner from this shot is the courthouse (dressed up for Christmass), strangely surrounded by bars on all sides. I suppose one doesn't have far to go when they've had a few to many and start getting rowdy.

Last edited:
looks beautiful, really worth visiting. but what i see on nearly most american cities is they are empty, i mean comparing to here, where there are always plenty people on the streets. :D anyways seems nice. what are the best places to hang out there? i love checking things on google :D

I've noticed the same when traveling abroad. I just got back from London, Paris and Amsterdam. Just before that I also had a trip to Vienna and really appreciated the fact that people were out, the cities are alive. There are way more bicycles then cars. It seems here people get from their home, to their car, drive, then get inside a building as fast as possible as to avoid any contact with nature and the elements.

Best places to hang out in this town?
Raven Cafe
Prescott Brewing Company
Superstition Meadery
Lynx Lake
The Dells

Then go visit surrounding towns, Jerome Az for some wine tasting of my favorite wine from Caduceus & Merkin Vineyards. (and consequently the twisty test track of Hwy 89A through Mingus Mountain) & the go for some hiking in Sedona Az.

Last edited:
next time when you come to europe make sure to stop by in macedonia.
you have your local beer, that's special kind of awesome.
also AZ is famous for desert off roading.

You’re bringing back memories for me Mykk, I remember the first time I went to Phoenix they took me up to Pinnacle Peak steakhouse. Told me to be sure and wear a tie so I did and they cut my tie off, took one of my business cards and nailed it through a rafter beam, kind of cute local custom. Another time I was staying in Apache junction and I drove North East a bit and found what I found later was called Goldfield Ghost Town. It had all the old buildings, mine workings etc and even had a sheriff’s office with two man wooden jail and – get this – a triple gallows outside. I wandered all over that place and never saw a living soul.

Maricopa county is out that way isn’t it; does Sheriff Joe still rule or is he retired now. He used to be elected almost unopposed any time he stood. Pink underwear for prisoners, big “Vacancies” sign on the prison roof when they held the Superbowl in Phoenix, some guy, some place.

I was in Casa Grande once visiting Hexcel Composites, it was 117 degrees and humidity in the low teens. That’s hot and that’s dry, fritzed up the screen of my laptop so it did.

Always was a bit different going into Arizona from other states, first thing you notice was bikers with no helmets and smoking still allowed in the restaurants and bars. They resisted the National speed limits, didn’t they, until the Feds threatened to cut off funding for the highways. Do you change the clocks now or just keep summer time all the year round. I think it was Indiana the other place I was in like that only one part of that state changed their clocks by half an hour. Go figure.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back