Hi all new here, couple of q's :)

Monkeyman5

Car
206 1.4 Glx
Hi everyone

Just joined the site, looks awesome! :bigsmile:

I'm a complete noob when it comes to modding etc and would quite like to start. Problem is i have an 206 1.4 Glx (1999) :embarrest:

The car is in good nick, 102,000 miles on the clock but i'm sticking with it for a couple more years.

I'd ideally like more from the car, in terms of power, mpg wouldn't hurt either but i understand it's a tradeoff.

I know engine swaps can be done, and that petrol to diesel swaps are very difficult. Just how viable would it be for me switch in a 2.0 Hdi engine and then remap it?

Or is there anything that can be done with my current engine... TU3JP i think, for example turbos or induction kits that would give more power without dropping economy too much?

Sorry if i'm asking daft questions here

Thanks and look forward to my time on these forums

Hey and welcome to the site mate
adding a turbo is possible but it is alot of work and £££ where as it could well be cheaper buying a turbo car to begin with
quick read here
http://www.torquecars.com/forums/f101/adding-turbo-nasp-engine-15003/
also worth remembering that your on a high milage already so the engine might not be as strong as it once was
induction kits would only give you a few bhp, f you were to really notice anything it would be more placebo effect other than noise/

how viable to swap the the HDI.
youd need the engine, gearbox, ecu, loom, suspension, fuel lines, etc
it proably would be cheaper to buy a HDi

The best mods for a car engine are as follows.
Internal work yields the biggest gains, head work like porting polishing and 3 angle valve jobs will maximise the airflow and raise the power.

If you want to go to the max then cryo treat the block, get it rebored and look into blueprinting and balancing as well.

Bigger valves are an obvious addon but not all engines are suitable as it depends how close together the OEM valves are.

A fast road cam will yield good power gains, especially in the top end of the rev range. Don't go mad though a profile of up to 270 degrees will give the best gains without the engine becoming cammy.

The most popular power mods are induction kits (which are questionable as power mods but they can sound nice if that is your sort of thing) and sports exhausts with sports catalysts or decats.

To keep the car legal I'd recommend a sports catalyst rather than a decat.
The last mod should always be a remap as this will allow you to fully realise the power gains on offer from your mods.

It's worth having a read of the articles on www.torquecars.com/tuning/ for more information on these mods and what the terms mean.

Thanks for the warm welcome and info everyone

After much deliberation and considering what you've said, i've decided that the modding option is just daft lol

So i'm after a new used car, which will become my project :)

I'd like a diesel for the economy but i really want a car that does 0-60 in less than 9 seconds.

My thinking is get a 206 again 2.0 HDi then remap to 120 bhp.

You guys have any suggestions on any other cars which are good for economy and fast..? oh and cheap used lol

tcsmileysign.gif

Bump

Settled on a 206 1.6 Hdi the factory specs are 0-60 in 9.8 seconds and it returns around 60 mpg.

In my eyes that's pretty good except the 9.8 part. If i remapped this to squeeze out some more bhp (apparently 25 -30 is expected) and add an an fmic, could i expect to acheive at least 0-60 in 8 seconds?

Cheers

I'm not entirely sure as i've not bought it yet, my current car is a 206 1.4 glx, i am going to buy a 206 1.6 Hdi.

The power of the 1.6 Hdi is 110 bhp and its the 1560 cc engine

Does that help?

Cheers

mind , because there is the 1.6 hdi 90bhp also. if you get the 110 bhp there is a good chance that with a remap , good exhaust and fmi you'll get to the 8 seconds !

It would be the 110bhp version. Doesn't sound good then. I was hopeful thinking that 140 ish bhp would be enough to make it fast enough...

Are there any other 3 door cars that someone would recommend that are fast and give good mpg? Budget is around £3500

Although the 2.0 206 hdi starts off slower would that be able to achieve better speed through modding?

Cheers

Hi and belated welcome to TC from me. Diesel cars are not great standing start racers my 210hp VW remapped diesel won't achieve a 8sec start if truthful although it's supposed to but as Yugguy says it's the torque for overtaking that diesel will blow even more powerful petrols away. To drive a diesel fast takes a whole different approach to gear changes and manoeuvre planning etc. You can't rag it like a petrol engine, it's all big waves of torque. Only had experience with VW and Ford diesel cars and I like the VW DPF engines. You should be able to pick up a MK4 maybe MK5 TDI GT for that budget though and remap it to have a fun car.

with yuguy on this the 1.9 PD TDis in 130 and 150 variants give around 170 and 190bhp mapped,
will give around 8 seconds from that plus around 50mpg

after that its serious money to get figures in the mid 200s and your under 6 seconds for a oil burner

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back