hey! I'm calum,

ClutchKickingCal

Car
2014 vw up!
Hello everyone hope you're all well. My name is calum I'm 18 and I drive a 2014 VW move up! 5dr (petrol) and the plan in store for her has been described as mental when people are told.
First things first is wheels tyres and brakes. For this I'm wanting to replace the stock wheels with 15" alloys and then look into medium-high profile sports compound tyres as I'm in rural Scotland where the roads are a nightmare for pot-holes. brakes would be replaced with discs and pads front and rear, as additional stopping power is always handy.
Secondly is the gearbox, clutch, suspension and drive system. A no brainer for me is a 6 speed manual performance gear box because my car before my up was a 6 speed and I was more comfortable with that than a 5 because reverse isn't directly under the highest gear. A lighter weight clutch is also on the list as OEM just wont hack what the plans entail. In terms of suspension, a coil over system would be best for this with the back end being slightly higher than the front so the weight on the back end squats down on to the rear axel providing a more controlled launch, also slightly stiffened so there is less suspension roll through corners. Drive system would be chucking the FWD system in the bin because understeer makes me crap myself, and would be replaced with an AWD system from something like a Skyline or a WRX and modifying the driveshaft to account for the smaller wheelbase.
Third of all is the engine, ratios and exhaust. Depending on if it will fit or not, a hayabusa engine swap would be brilliant for this, or subsequently any 1000cc motorbike engine that can produce 150-200 bhp at the wheel. As that would be my rough guestimate for the sweet spot for her as she only weighs 700kg so not as much power should be required to make her a pocket rocket. Exhaust system would probably be a twin exit exhaust system with 2" exit ports and possibly straight piped. Each exit of the exhaust either coming from both sides of the rear bumper or have it as side exits, whichever looks better and is more practical. In terms of ratios, I wouldnt want gears 1-4 being like ludicrous in terms of how aggressive they are, but it still needs enough pep to rip the arse out of near enough anyone who isn't a tuner but wants to try it. And also allow cruising to be simple and not terrify granny.
Lastly aero. I have no clue what to do with it, would probably have to test run the stock body and pick where the car is suffering through corners and acceleration/deceleration, straights etc.
Thank you so much for reading my post and if you want to tell me any short comings of my idea please do before I invest like 70k into my car over a decade. But truth be told I will probably wind up wrecking this car in a spectacular fashion like my mini countryman.

Hello there, may I wish you a very warm welcome, it's great to have you join us. We hope you enjoy the site and the forum, and please do get stuck into the discussions, we love reading your opinions and hearing about your experiences.

Hello there, may I wish you a very warm welcome, it's great to have you join us. We hope you enjoy the site and the forum, and please do get stuck into the discussions, we love reading your opinions and hearing about your experiences.
Thanks I will do but do you think my planned mods for my car is a bit overkill?

They may be an "overkill" but they are your dreams and I am not going to shatter them BUT will you be able to get it approved / engineered for registration as well find an insurer as well ?

Very true hopefully Adrian flux would take it on and if a local garage can. Hopefully direct me to what I need to do

Do your homework first before opening your wallet and spinning the spanners and GET ANY APPROVALS IN WRITING |B

Verbal approvals are as good as the paper it's written on as when it comes right down to it people have selective memories and can't recall ever meeting or speaking to you \B

PS that last bit is the voice of experience ;)

Last edited:
Hello and a very warm, welcome to TorqueCars from me the admin!

Nice to have you along, I hope you're enjoying the site.

Keep reading the articles on our site and this forum... you'll pick up loads of good common sense tips and don't be afraid to post questions, were all here to share our knowledge and experience.

We run a really fun and interesting car community and many have said we're the friendliest around, always ready to help out where we can.

Enjoy your time with us, post loads and feel free to ask any questions or begin new threads and discussions. We're always interested to hear your comments and views on our existing topics and in the hot polls.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back