Hey Hey

ruzarko

Car
Fiat Punto
Hey guys.

Pretty young around here. Going to be 19 soon

I've stuck with a Punto Mk2 for the past year and have been thinking about giving it a bit of performance lift thus my stalking around such forums. Realised it would be much better to just ask the people who know best.

It's not in the best shape of its life seeing as the whole exhaust needs replacing due to there being several holes causing wheezy like noises as I drive about :/

Its expensive to replace so I've avoided it thus far but I reckon it'll be the first thing before I make any mods.

So far I've seemed to have heard that putting on an Air induction kit is one of the first things to do aswell as putting in a 6 speed gearbox not that it makes much of a performance difference.

Any other ideas? It's completely untouched as far as modding goes so would like to breathe a bit of life init because I'm stuck with it for a while due to high insurance and because its not in the greatest selling condition.

Thanks

tcsmileysign.gif

May I as the site admin wish you a very warm welcome to TorqueCars. It is really nice to meet you and I hope you'll be spending some time with us over the months to come.
You'll find us one of the friendliest and most helpful car tuning forums around.

What plans do you have for your car? I'm sure we can give you lots of ideas and suggestions if you need any.

Do feel free to chip in on our other topics and discussions, we are all here to share our passion for cars. Being friendly and helpful is a forum rule here and I'm sure you'll fit in just fine.

The best mods for a car engine are as follows.
Internal work yields the biggest gains, head work like porting polishing and 3 angle valve jobs will maximise the airflow and raise the power.

If you want to go to the max then cryo treat the block, get it rebored and look into blueprinting and balancing as well.

Bigger valves are an obvious addon but not all engines are suitable as it depends how close together the OEM valves are.

A fast road cam will yield good power gains, especially in the top end of the rev range. Don't go mad though a profile of up to 270 degrees will give the best gains without the engine becoming cammy.

The most popular power mods are induction kits (which are questionable as power mods but they can sound nice if that is your sort of thing) and sports exhausts with sports catalysts or decats.

To keep the car legal I'd recommend a sports catalyst rather than a decat.
The last mod should always be a remap as this will allow you to fully realise the power gains on offer from your mods. Turbo cars respond very well to remaps.

It's worth having a read of the articles on www.torquecars.com/tuning/ for more information on these mods and what the terms mean.

Nice one Wayne. I'll look into some of those suggestions.

Right Now the first real plans I've got is changing up the exhaust system and adding a focus induction kit.

Exterior is just simply debadging the back and replacing the front with a more recent badge.

I'll look into the rest once I get this first task out of the way but again I don't want to mod the car too much seeing as the more powerful modifications will equal more insurance to pay :(

I live in one of the worst areas to get insured (Bradford) at any age to be fair so I'm hoping these first mods don't really count as power modifications.

But what do you reckon I can just about get away with that doesn't quite count as a modification from an insurers point of view?

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back