Hesitant or Impetuous - which is safer

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
On the roads which would be the safer driver, one who is hesitant or one who is impetuous?

Where do you draw the line when each of these becomes a hazard?

Both types would be equally hazardous IMO

Agree 100% with Indiaman. Both are a result of poor observation, poor anticipation and poor perception. In the cause of impetuosity (is that a word ??? :blink::blink: ) then a poor attitude might well contribute an additional danger.

eg:- How about a hesitant driver who has finally managed to get under way and get up to, say, 50mph; who then hesitates in reacting to a developing and potentially hazardous situation?

Whatever the cause, be it car control skills or simply being unaware of what's going on around him, the result is dangerous.

But it can be argued (playing devils advocate here) that a hesitant driver is less likely to take risks and is therefore safer. BUT THERE ARE OF COURSE LIMITS! Where those limits are is open to debate really.

But it can be argued (playing devils advocate here) that a hesitant driver is less likely to take risks and is therefore safer. BUT THERE ARE OF COURSE LIMITS! Where those limits are is open to debate really.

If the hesitant driver is hesitant because of poor observation and perception then the risks are equal in magnitude.

I'm both sometimes I wait and wait at junctions other times I go swinging around it and think christ I didn't even remember to check.