help ...

turnbull2012

Wrench Pro
Car
mgzr 2litre turbo
I have just transplanted a rover 2.0 litre turbo in my mg zr and only covered 600 miles in that time the engine has lost nearly a litre of oil with no visable oil leaks and no blue smoke out of the exhaust I do have a small amout of oil coming through the seals behindthe throttle body ... Ive checked my hose from intercooler to throttle body and this is dry so turbo is fine ... Any ideas to where im losing the oil .. I also have no oil drips on my drive and car is running sweet any help !!!!!

Don't go mad with that engine - it's derved from the ancient O-series and it's generally (tho not specifically) considered that about 200bhp is the safe theoretical limit

thanks for the advice but my brothers been running 240 all year without a glitch apart from his gearbox ... I was hoping to tune mine to 220 thinking that would be safe but might take your advice and tune it to 200 ... Al ask around and see what people say ... Thanks

Did you fit new piston rings? It is common to see higher oil consumption until the engine is run in.

My engine (not a turbo just the 2.0) had loads of leaks all over it, even after a rebuild but I didn't use that much oil.

Always ensure the engine is warm before running it on boost, and after a run let it cool down a bit for the last mile or so. The turbo will literally cook away the oil and spin dry if you shut it down straight away after a spirited run.

No never fitted new piston rings ....I hope it was an air pocket in the engine due to the fact i have no oil on the driveway and no smoke from exhaust...what baffles me is the oil seeping out the seems behind the throttle body ? Like i said i've checked the cooling hose from the intercooler to throttle body and this is dry ? no oil ?

That is really strange! Please keep us posted with your thoughts, and any new things you turn up on this.

Then the only weak point on your engine is the cork head gasket but you've replaced that so it's ok.
Distributor engined t16's have Mahle pistons as standard so these engines can be pushed a little more than the later wasted spark models.
All T16's will use some oil. Especially now as they are getting a little tired. Unless your getting white or. Lie smoke I wouldn't worry. Just remember to keep topping it up.

thanks for the advice al keep an eye on it ... My brother also has a mgzr turbo and his is pushing 240 on 13 psi boost and hes never had any problems apart from his gearbox ... He had to uprate to steelcage bearings but his is stripped out and killing subaru sti's on straights .... Cant wait to get get pictures on here ....