Help!....

tjw2007

Tuner
I currently own a silver, '52 reg Mazda MX5 sport edition with air con - and I think I must be going insane...because I don't like it very much. How is it that everybody loves the MX5 and hails it as being one of the best cars ever made, yet I can't get on with it. Sure, it's got a great look and a lot of kudos, but I can't get on with the amount of noise, the bumpy ride and the awkward gear stick. I'm extra worried, because I'm actually entertaining the idea of replacing it with a Renault Megane (2.0 Dynamique VVT Turbo) - well it is faster on paper!

What am I missing here!?

alot of the love came over from the first mx-5, not having the luxury of driving one yet i can't help much other than saying that sport suspension either agrees with you or aggrivates you.

and may i ask how you find the gearbox awkward? :?

it's the close ratio'ness of it, each gear seems to be a nano-millimetre next to another gear - the worst are the sixth gear and the reverse - which sometimes takes 2 or 3 goes to get it in. Would I be foolish to go for the Megane?

close ratio gears are sought after by some, are you the sort of person who enjoys the sportiness or do you prefer practicality and comfort?

Close ratio gearing will usually give better performance as long as there are enough of 'em in the box. If you take a 5 speed unit and shorten 2,3,4 and 5 then a sixth on top as a cruising ratio is nice. Having said that, whenever I've driven six speeders I generally stay in 5 anyway as it allows more immediate acceleration if you need it.

Autos are also much better with more ratios asit makes up for the slight losses that even current automatic boxes still incur.

I think Lexus and Mercedes have up the EIGHT speed automatics now.

Another interesting one is the CVT with infinitely adjustable gearing. Nissan's effort was quite impressive the the Primera back in 1999 ish but it was crap when you drove it hard. Not that it didn't go - much the opposite but the bloody racket at 6500rpm whenever you shoved the pedal down was unbearable.

ok, apart from the gears - am I totally mad for considering changing an MX5 for a Megane - albeit a fairly high performance one!?

The MX5 handling is fantastic but is a little underpowered - look into getting a supercharger fitted - this will radically change your whole opinion of the car.

Theres a couple of articles in our tuning section under forced induction that should give you a bit more info but I don't know specifics of one for the MX5 and its mpg etc...

Yeah, I'm not really interested in staying with the MX5 - anybody suggest a more comfortable, slightly bigger alternative, without being any slower!?

How about a Honda Prelude 2.2 VTEC?

200bhp and an unburstable rev happy Honda engine. I seem to remember the red line being over 8000rpm!

Very sophisticated car with active four wheel steering.

Perhaps I'm in the wrong forum, but I was looking more for something that's got around 160-180bhp (perhaps 200bhp!) which hasn't got a massively high insurance group and can do 35mpg or more - is this asking too much!?

Your aims are very similar to mine. I chose the Audi A3 1.8T sport with 150 - easily tweakable to 200 and returns 37 mpg. The ride is good and it handles great is very reliable. Cheaper options would include a Seat Cupra or Golf with the 1.8T engine.

OK, back on my diesel hobby horse.

Get a decent modern diesel and get the ECU remapped to give silly power and even sillier torque figures.

I've got a Peugeot 2.2 HDi which slings out 192 bhp and well over 300 lbft of torque courtesy of custom ECU remap.

And it flies in a out pulling a 3.0 V6 kind of a way.

Hey, I'm not converted yet! Just curious. I'd actually like to know some details about these diesels, like mpg, insurance groups etc. I've never been keen on the idea of a diesel, but I like to be open minded :wink:

OK then. The Golf GT TDi is in my opinion the best of the bunch - my mate has had his remapped to about 195bhp and he gets 50-65mpg out of it! 0-60 time is (he claims) 6.x seconds and it does seem to pull well. His insurers didn't even bat an eyelid when he told them it had been remapped! Diesels do tend to have lower insurance groups than petrol equivalents so it is a good way to go.

Hang on a minute - now I'm at it. Promoting Diesel ownership is HDi funs job. You can get some info from HDIs article on diesel tuning in our tuning section and that will give you a good overview of what is on offer out there. http://www.torquecars.com/tuning/diesel-tuning.php

About £250-£450 and some companies offer a mobile service - it only takes a few minutes usually and lots of companies give you a 300 mile trial to see if you like it (which you will!).

Help me out here, 'cause I know absolutely nothing about diesels - I take it they don't sound like old, London black taxi cabs anymore & are they really quiet to drive? Are there any particular downsides to having a diesel?

Thanks for all the advice.

They go, that's not in doubt. Some can still be a bit rattly on a cold morning from outside, at least.

Mines a peach. It's a 2001 plate Peugeot 406 2.2 HDi. Remapped to 192bhp and rolling road suggests 328lbft at just over 2000rpm. Over 90,000 on the clock now and drives just as it always has done (I bought it with 20,000 on it).

And it does go, that's without doubt. Like 50-70, in fourth gear, in about 3 seconds.

0-62mph (0-100khm) is an interesting one. We've had a good old go at it just before I replaced the front tyres last year and with care you could get it to a shade over seven seconds.

However, if you back off a bit and change up way too early (say around 3500 rpm) then it was still easy to achieve 8.5.

I like the sheer midrange grunt, you can overtake on A roads like you would in a Boxster.

Quiet? yes, it is. Hydrauic engine mounts and a dual mass flywheel sort the noise and vibration spectacularly (factory standard on the 2.2). It really is like driving around in a Jag. (petrol one, even!) except for the fact Peugeot didn't offer automatic transmission.

They're well tooled up too: electric front seats for all adjustment; cruise control; auto wipers and lights; self dipping mirrors; full climate control; JBL audio and CD changer etc....

Downsides ;-

1. Servicing is more often that a petrol unit and generally costs more as the engines are so bloody complex

2. Front tyre wear. Weight and torque mean you're replacing front tyres every 10-12000 miles. It can fidget in fourth gear in the wet if you over do the pedal.

3. Image. It's a diesel.

I'm currently looking at either the Megane 2.0 Dyanmique Turbo (which I understand can be remapped as well, being a Turbo) and the Golf 1.9 GT TDI which can be remapped very successfully going by what I've read on various forums. Anybody had any experience of either of these two cars? Despite the pedigree, I'm kind of going towards the Megane, but I'm not sure why!

The extras look a little thin on the ground for Golf's it seems - like no remote central locking, just key central locking and some adverts I've seen only list a radio/cassette - not even a CD player! Been looking on AutoTrader's website & it seems that the 1.9 turbo diesel is a little hard to come by if you're looking for one that's a few years old.

agree with hdi fun, mum has a laguna, the new one and bits are falling off!

passenger door handle is currently held on with insulating tape, the centre cd player cover looks like acid has been thrown on it (bubbling up) and every year around summer time, a 'coil' goes which costs 200 quid.

Save some money and buy a Skoda Fabia 1.9tdi. You save a fair bit over a VW but it's pretty much the same kit. However trying to find a second-hand one is difficult, I believe something about rocking horses may be appropriate. Because they're such solid cars, people often don't part with them. Skoda's are great sleeper cars because there is still a stigma attached, but you can tune loads underneath the bodywork, but you can still work on the outside as I think the Fabia has quite a nice shape.

How about a Ford Focus 1.8TDDi? Some argue the older version is friendlier to tune than the newer TDCi, but a remap and Bluefin and you'll be pushing out some good power with a nice kick from the turbo as well. Plus they're much more plentiful and at reasonable prices. Get a Ghia or Zetec model and you'll have plenty of nice extras. I'm still amused by my electric adjust seat.

Diesels are up and coming with performance and economy. You might not get off the line as quick, but you get there as you move up through the gears. HDi Fun is right that servicing etc. will be more, but you can do the maths to work out what you might save in other areas like fuel and Road Tax.

I've got full electric adjustment of both front seats. That not just height, it's fore/aft, rake and backrest as well. God knows how much weight all those motors add!

Actually what kind of 0-60 times are we talking here with the Focus or any similarly powered diesel? Pick up time from standing still is still quite important to me - are they a fair bit slower?

Well according to Parkers HERE, most are around 12 seconds 0-60 while the higher power ones are 10 seconds @113bhp. A remap could bring you up to 130-140bhp so 8 seconds should be possible I believe. You could get there quicker if you really pushed it, but then it's not worth blowing piston rings for a few seconds of rush.

What I love is the fact that you can get 50-55mpg when you're sensible from a 1.8. Diesel might be a penny more expensive, but if you do the math, you're gonna save some money. Which servicing will probably swallow, but at least you get the bigger engine.

I can get 0-62mph in the low sevens if I drive it with intent, which is pretty quick. In standard tune Peugeot quote 9.1, which is not painful either, although I've never bothered testing it.

The biggest problem of mine is that diesels don't rev much over 4000rpm so you have to get through first and second pretty quickly. The 2.2HDi is a 16 valve twin cam unit so it's revvier than VW's eight valve units. Even so, you can get very crisp performance without exceeding 3000rpm. In fifth gear it cruises at 70mph at just over 2000rpm, yet still takes off convincingly without a change-down.

Midrange is the real secret weapon, taking off in third at 30mph or fourth at say 50mph is something to be experienced.