Help: Gearbox problem after clutch change

heinrad

Car
Ford Focus 1.6 LX
I've recently had my clutch changed on my '99 Focus 1.6, but since then, when starting my car from cold, I can't put the car in gear. If the engine is off, I can select any gear as normal, but once the engine is started, it feels like something is blocking it from going in.

Once the engine has run for a while, I can start to get the gear's back, but who knows what damage it's doing to the car.

I took it back to the garage that did the clutch change yesterday, and they said the box was only half full with oil, so they topped it back up again, but testing it this morning, I'm still having the same issue if not worse.

What could be the problem?

"The box was only half full with oil " Hang on a minute, they have just fitted a clutch. Did they drain the box when they removed it ? Is it not part of the service to check everything and that it works properly prior to the car leaving the workshop ?
Other than a worn clutch, was there such an issue prior to the garage fitting the new clutch ?
I know full well that when we do clutches the levels are part of the service and so is a test drive.
Forget speculation, take it back to the garage and TELL them that you want the job done properly and at no extra charge as it should not have left the workshop until the job was COMPLETED !

p.s. If they did drain the box, any damage caused internally due to low oil level is their responsibility.

I honestly think I will never take it back to this garage ever again. I'd be very disappointed if the Master Cylinder had broken, because they changed that aswell.

I've had a look around the internet since I posted this, I suspect I may have to bleed the clutch hydraulic system as it appears the clutch just isn't engaging when the pedal is pressed.

Thing is, I travelled to North Wales from my home in the midlands so I haven't got my Haynes Manual with me, and have no clue whatsoever how to do this or where the clutch bleed screw is.

This is starting to annoy me now.

sounds to me like they could have used the wrong gerbox oil (I THINK)
my car is like that in the mornings too, once its warmed its fine, my gearbox oil is more like water, and i still find it hard to get it in to gear

if i put in thick oil, id have a problem like you
im not saying this will work, but go to a main dealer, and get gearbox oil from them, they would stock the correct oil, and change it, it wont cost you much so id start there

and so right you wont go to that garage again, thats what wrecks my head about garages, the car goes in ok, comes out with problems

ps, who supplied the clutch kit???

I'm almost 100% convinced there is some air in the system now. I sat in the car with the engine running and pumped the clutch for a bit. After a few presses, the gears came back.

I'll have to read my Haynes manual when I get back home.

Last edited:
I'm almost 100% convinced there is some air in the system now. I sat in the car with the engine running and pumped the clutch for a bit. After a few presses, the gears came back.

I'll have to read my Haynes manual when I get back home.
well thats an easy fix anyway,
take the caps of the clutch fluid holders in the engine bay and pump like a good thing

hopefully thats all it is:D

I hope it is as easy as you say :p

I shall post after I have bled the system and let you know if it fixes it or not.