Hello there

SUZUKI ROCKS

Car
Suzuki Swift GTI
Hi, another newbie here.

I am the proud owner of a 1990 Suzuki Swift Gti which i love to bits. Owned her for about 10 years now so she feels like a natural part of my life! She has seen beter days and as a result failed her M.O.T. a few months back due to rust! As a result she is no longer road legal so she is currently sitting in my garange whilst i dream up some big restoration/modification plans. Trouble is that while by plans are big, my experience/knowledge/finances are VERY small:sad2:. You know the feeling right?

Anyway, thats my story and im sure i will be calling on you guys for help and advice so thanks in advance:D

Can

Hello and welcome. Nice to have you along. You sound really dedicated to your car.

Where is the rust? Arches and door? This should be easy enough to fix. Try the breakers yard for doors and front wings.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

The rust is on the sills(both sides!) and also inside the wheel arch on the vertical part, right behind the top of the tyre.

My main dilemna is this. Do i buy a welder, teach myself to weld and do the job myself or do i pay someone to do it for me.

I realy want the satisfaction of beeing able to say "i did that" and also knowing that i would give the job all the TLC it needed. Plus i would have gained a new skill which i would probably need again on a car of this age.

The really apealing part of paying a pro would be the time. How long is it gonna take me to learn and do the job myself:( Also my space is quite limited, smallish garage. If i pay i could have it done in no time.

What you reckon guys?

I'd go with a pro any day. After you have bought the equipment and done a few practice welds you still won't be anywhere near as good and it will have taken you a lot longer. It pays to get the job done right.

Thanks for the advice mate. Gonna strip her down, take seats carpets etc out and have a good look at what else might need doing. Then make a decision.

Thanks again.

Pay someone to do the car for now but buy a welder and teach yourself anyway. That way you can learn at your leisure. :D:D An it is really satisfying when you can say "I did that myself" :D:D

I know the feeling of big plans with no money! Any questions, feel free to ask us. As for DIY or professional...I'd go professional.

Welcome to the forum!

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back