Hello everyone from Steviebear

Steviebear

Car
Porsche 944s
Having been a Porsche 944 owner twenty years ago haing first a T reg 924 then a 944 Lux and finally a 1986 944 Turbo I thought it was time I got back on the band wagon. As I still have my old number plate 944 STV I thought it was a shame to let it go to waste and have now got myself a 1987 944 to go with it, which has already clocked up 2500 miles in my possession in a little over two months. Interested to hear from anyone with any good tuning mods or news of happenings in the Oxford area ( I am now again a PCGB member but have not managed any meetings yet. I tried to include a picture but no good will try again later.

Hello and welcome. You're one of our first new members on our new forum.

We hope you like what you see. It sounds like you are a car enthusiast so you'll fit in just fine on here.

You'll need to have made 10 posts before you can post images or links, it won't take log to get up there. We had to do this to deter those spammers! Get involved in our many discussions we'd love to hear your opinions.

We have a few real 944 enthusiasts on here, I'll let you find their threads using the search function and by looking in our Porsche forums.

Because my car is 26 years old I am concerned that the galvanising may be breaking down, although the exterior has had a complete respray, is it advisable to use Waxoyl or similar to good effect to protect the main underbody and structure. What would other members recommend? Mechanically it is in very good order, I have replaced all the belts and fitted a new water pump brake calipers etc. I wondered if it would be a good idea to fit poly bushes all round and coilovers at this stage or wait until the existing units wear out. (Will lowering slightly substantially affect handling and ride?) I am intending to fit an uprated ECU chip but would you know if there is an appreciable difference between for instance the ProMax or JMJ or the Accell Racing product available on ebay as they differ vastly in price but seem to offer the same product, also do I go for K&N filter to fit standard box or choose a cone unit. All comments appreciated.

You need to seek the wisdom of one of our esteemed members on here: Aerial Andy944. Cannot find his project thread at the moment but have a search through our gallery and projects wip buddy for some inspiration.

Hi and welcome to TC forums.
http://www.torquecars.com/forums/threads/my-944-upgrades.10053/

My old project thread there. All my parts were from JMG in Dorset here. Primacy are pretty hot also. You didn't mention if you have another turbo again. The 220hp ones have slightly smaller turbo but spool up quicker. Turbos will see a great change with the chip change. N/A models will only get about 10horses more but delivery is vastly improved.
I put a cone filter on because I liked the induction roar it created otherwise panel filter is fine. 944s don't like big wheels, they tramline quite badly. 968 castor mounts are popular to combat this. KW is the only suspension I've heard good reports from, many £££££££s and only really needed if going on track. Normal road use then standard setup is fine.

Hello and may I wish you a very warm welcome to TorqueCars, nice to have you along.

Sorry for my delay in replying to you, we've totally revamped the site, and I'm sure you'll agree it's 1000 time better than before, much faster and easier to use.

I hope you enjoy your time with us, you'll fit in just fine if you are crazy about cars and tuning them.

Please get involved in our many interesting discussions and debates.

Cheers guys sorry been down to Spain for a couple of weeks so not been near confuser no wi fi where we are. Thanks for all the comments first job get the sunroof fixed then look at the rest.

Oooh I remember the water leaks on the old 944s. Sunroof, windscreen, tailgate, rear lights...........
Regular colinder it was ⊙﹏⊙
Amazingly you can still get all the seals from your local OPC

Not sure about Porsche, but check to see if there are under body strut braces for front and rear for your, they help prevent chassis flex and and help the car when under load, worked beautifully on my Lancia. ;)

You must have had a bad one this is my fourth and they have all been dry!

Mine was going to be scrapped so my dealer friend asked if I wanted to take it on as a project as he knew I wanted a turbo to modify. New sills and then every seal, electrical contact, hose, belt etc etc was renewed. Ended up quadrupling its value and a beast of a turbo Porsche ╮(╯▽╰)╭

Water leaks are a very common question on the Porsche forums also.

Hello it's great to meet you. You'll love the forums and site, I spend loads of time on here and it gets quite addictive.

Sorry guys been away for a while, car is all up together now got to have a regular service next week and one small oil leak to fix. Thinking of fitting a Promax chip does anyone have any experience of this or similar,

Welcome back, good to hear from you again. Those chips seem to work quite well, is a remap option not on the cards?

Hi again Steve. I think I'm correct in thinking you now have the 190hp 16v 'S' model and not the turbo? The Promax or JMG chips are good. Don't expect any great power gains, 10hp at best as Porsche did quite a good job funnily enough, but the power delivery will change quite dramatically.
Oil leaks can be a pain to trace. Mine was eventually tracked down to the oil filter housing.

Hi again Steve. I think I'm correct in thinking you now have the 190hp 16v 'S' model and not the turbo? The Promax or JMG chips are good. Don't expect any great power gains, 10hp at best as Porsche did quite a good job funnily enough, but the power delivery will change quite dramatically.
Oil leaks can be a pain to trace. Mine was eventually tracked down to the oil filter housing.
Yes correct, not actually looking for more power just more flexible usability, oil leak is crank case cover I believe.

Got the n/a car sorted nicely now, but have just bought a 91 turbo lovely car very fast but not as much fun to drive as the standard 944 which unfortunately has to go. Will be featured in Feb edition of 911 and Porsche World, see also front cover and article in March 2015 PCGB magazine.

Wow a 911. I'm so jealous they are awesome cars.

Well done on getting a cover feature. Keep us posted. Did you have much work to do on it?

Wow a 911. I'm so jealous they are awesome cars.

Well done on getting a cover feature. Keep us posted. Did you have much work to do on it?
No not 911. 944 Turbo still awesome my favourite, I had a white 86 car back in 1990 sold that for just 6k would be a bargain today. Off to P.C.G.B Christmas run on Sunday will get some pics . These are from the magazine article of my old 944.751A5366.jpg 751A5366.jpg 751A5366.jpg 751A5366.jpg 751A5154.jpg 751A5207.jpg 751A5275 - Copy - Copy.jpg 751A5366.jpg 751A5154.jpg 751A5207.jpg 751A5275 - Copy - Copy.jpg 751A5300.jpg

Seeing your number plate I'm sure I've spoken to you at a show before. You haven't come down to South Coast or New Forest before for any events have you? I'm sure I've seen your car. Here's my old car which might jog the memory, it would of been a few years ago now.

bbq09.jpg

Seeing your number plate I'm sure I've spoken to you at a show before. You haven't come down to South Coast or New Forest before for any events have you? I'm sure I've seen your car. Here's my old car which might jog the memory, it would of been a few years ago now.
Looks good, no not me I have only had this one for a couple of years and just bought my turbo two weeks ago, not been any where near New Forest or south coast in either. How much did you lower your car, did it make any difference to handling or was it just to look good?
bbq09.jpg

I had the 1989 turbo S model which had 10mm lower suspension then the standard turbo model. I didn't lower it but those wheels fitted there are 18" split rim wheels from a 964 turbo which gives that lower illusion as they filled the arches. We thought we would have to roll the arches but they just fitted. I also had 968 castor mounts fitted which are a good upgrade to have when lowering or fitting bigger wheels. In hindsight 17" are probably as big a wheels that you want as tramlining became a problem with the 18's combined with them being 265/35 profile, very little flex in them.
The rear wing was an adjustable one from a 968 turbo S.
All this stuff came from JMG in Christchurch and ended up with a 380hp motor which was a bit too much, 330hp is a nice sweet spot for these cars.

too much power ????
you need a good doctor (or a ride in your old gtr )

Surely what you mean is you have not uprated the rest of the car (yet?)

and if you think thats harsh - look on the bright side .......I did see the comment before OG.

The LSD on the 944 was a mechanical one which worked great right up to the point it let go, there was no warning when it couldn't cope anymore. I would overtake cars sideways sometimes the backend got so loose. I've been in 400+hp 944s but they had their suspension swapped out for coilovers or similar. Yes I had exceeded the original cars setup. My GTR handled its power much better which is why I suppose the original R32 smashed the 944s time around the Nurburgring even though it was a heavier car by some 200kgs.

Great thank you. I think I will stick with the standard set up for now, but do intend to fit the Promax stage one kit after Christmas just to stabilise the boost and hopefully get a little bit bit better grunt in the lower rev range. Had a good run of about 150 miles today through the Cotswolds but left both my phone and camera on the coffee table so not able to take any pics. Wonderful turnout of cars at Porsche club still drooling six hours later.

Which turbo have you got, the 220 or 250? Both will be cranked up to around 300hp with a chip. Just check your boost pipe fittings, the factory ones can blow apart with the extra pressure so replace with brass ones. 3bar fpr is another good thing to replace at same time if going over 300hp along with fuel pump, injectors, external oil catch can, mini oil breather, bigger fmic.
4wheel alignment is a must also. Transformed mine for £35 quid

You can see the catch can mounted near left hand strut top. Bailey's dump valve front right next to induction filter.

100_0633.jpg

New boost pipes in blue with brass t piece fitting

100_0639.jpg

Last edited:
Which turbo have you got, the 220 or 250? Both will be cranked up to around 300hp with a chip. Just check your boost pipe fittings, the factory ones can blow apart with the extra pressure so replace with brass ones. 3bar fpr is another good thing to replace at same time if going over 300hp along with fuel pump, injectors, external oil catch can, mini oil breather, bigger fmic.
4wheel alignment is a must also. Transformed mine for £35 quid

You can see the catch can mounted near left hand strut top. Bailey's dump valve front right next to induction filter.

The extra power would be a bonus but it is getting that turbo spinning earlier that will make the big difference, especially for squirting around the odd Sunday driver on our Oxfordshire side roads. Unless you want to stay in third and burn extra gas, the lag is a pain. Sorry not moaning really I love the car, think I will have to go and do some Christmas shopping a long way away. Just one shop then drive back again. Yes dear just popping out wont be long. Of course it's important! See you after lunch.

100_0633.jpg

New boost pipes in blue with brass t piece fitting

100_0639.jpg

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back