Hello all

aston

The Torque Meister
Car
VOLVO and VW
Just joined yet another car forum, Now I have Torque cars, Bangernomics, Autocar and of course PPC Forum(Practical Performance Magazine).
Right now I am living outside of the UK and for my sins have to put up with a 4x4 (I detest them but at least mine is SWB).
When I return to good old Englandshire I will be renewing the fleet. Volvo estate for Wifey, a 105 series Alfa coup as a toy for me and an all rounder workhorse, sunday morning blaster, commuter. After months of reading everything I find on the net I have decided that the ultimate value for money all-rounder grin per £ will be a Primera GT or maybe a 306 D turbo. Maybe you have other suggestions, great and again hello all.

Hello and Welcome to Torque Cars buddy.
I'd say your first choice of motor is the best one. You can't go wrong with a 150 Bhp Primera Gt. Get one buddy and enjoy.

Hi Aston and a very warm welcome to TorqueCars. I bet this is the forum you get most addicted to;)

Good to have you with us. I recommend anything with the VAG 1.8T lump in it. A remap will push the power to 200bhp!

Welcome, good choice with the gt, got one myself and they are great fun, just remember to have a good look at the rear calipers (sliders tend to seize) and cv joints on any prospective buy.

Yes spent a while considering the VAG 1.8 turbo but it is a myth that any 1.8t can be re-mapped to 200 bhp. I thought that when I saw how cheap passats, A4's and octavias were then after some research found out it wasn't the case just internet gossip, each engine has dirrerent components such as pistons, cranks, conrods, and importantly turbo's. if I had 200bhp I wouldn't use it anyway, thought I would ,then was a passenger with some speed freaks who do use it 75% of the time and know how to use it. mega BHP is wasted on me, I have owned a couple of 280bhp V8 cars and a Cheap supercar (Alpine/Renault GTA) and I just don't use all that power (Maybe once a day) I have allways enjoyed the smaller revvy engines that need pushing. Bought a Supra Turbo a few years ago, only kept it for a week. wouldn't go round corners as I liked. No point of all that power if you have to slow down for corners, Guess that is why the 205 is so fantastic.
Off roaders Not for me. i live in Costa Rica in quite a rural area where one actually needs an Off roader, especially in the rain season, and often we need to cross rivers and go up steep banks but believe me there is nowhere I go where the locals can't go in thier cars but I see they have much more fun on the roads. At home it seems every 4x4 owner also owns a car which doesn't say much for 4x4's. Sadly my wife wants one when we return but I need to convince her that a Volvo is a better buy.
Well thanks all and I suggest you check out the PPC forum or magazine.
No Speakers,,,no Bodywork and no bullsh$t..........

the 1.8 not stictly true. the early ones with 150bhp remapped most companies give around 190 the later ones still with 150 but with the 03s turbo can make 200 and the later 180 models with again the 03s give around 205 - oh course these are all at the fly and not the wheel.

but your right theres alot of gossip with some claiming that they can get 260bhp out of the standard engine without upgrades. shame the MAF and injectors max out around 240 and the turbos already getting close to its max. if its got the smaller 03 then its well over its limit by that point

Re: Hello all (VAG turbo differences)

I see you have the Bora. The Bora has the top notch 1.8t engine with the best of the best internals, excactly the same engine as the high bhp and TT's .

Last edited by a moderator:
note quite mate. its the same engine as the 180 TT, skoda octavia VRS.
the top spec TT has a different turbo, pistons, rods and crank are forged. bigger injectors, bigger MAF, 2 sidemounts interoolers over one, different intake and exhaust manifolds, and downpipe splits into 2 for less restriction ohh and mapping is different well thats the basics could possible go further

Hello there youve got good taste in cars. Nice to meet you.

Well thanks. Iv{e owned more or less every car I ever wanted (don{t set my sights too high so all affordable and high mileage cars. my "pièce de résistance": in the future (Next year) shall be an alfa 105 series Giulia Coupé. And I can{t wait.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back