Hello all from new member.

Benjo303

Car
Kia Sorento 2.5crdi
Hi all, just joined and am looking forward to reading all your threads and posts. I have a 2004 Kia Sorento xe 2.5crdi auto, which used to pull our caravan round the country (sorry if I may have held you up at any time) unintentionally of course.
Our other car is a 2014/2015 limited edition Mazda Mx5, which we also take with us on our travels. I am interested in economy on the Sorento and had it remapped a couple of years ago for economy, and so far it is a great workhorse.

Hello and welcome. I quite like the Kia Sorento in all honesty. Styling wise it was ahead of the game in 2004 - still looks fresh now. The engines are sound; just don't get too over eco-happy by slugging it about in ridiculously high gears and at ridiculously low revs. This is a guaranteed formula for DMF wreckage.

Hello and welcome. I quite like the Kia Sorento in all honesty. Styling wise it was ahead of the game in 2004 - still looks fresh now. The engines are sound; just don't get too over eco-happy by slugging it about in ridiculously high gears and at ridiculously low revs. This is a guaranteed formula for DMF wreckage.

Hi HDi fun, thanks for the welcome. I bought the Sorento, as the second owner, in March 2008, and so far it has done 64,449 miles in total without missing a beat. Always serviced by workplace diesel mechanics, regularly. Since retiring I have serviced it myself on the same schedule, including the 60,000 mile service. The only hand on heart things I noticed after the remap was that I lost an annoying flat-spot. On returning home from work in the early hours (05:30 'ish), when joining our ring road it would hesitate quite noticeably, then take off, now cured. It does not drop down the box so often now and has a lot more pulling power, especially with the 'van on the back, have to keep a weather eye on the speedo. The economy remap did not seem to make any drastic improvement in mpg, but is still a good tug and I will not be letting it go.

My first remap experience was in 2006 - a 2.2 HDi Peugeot 406. We managed 192bhp and 320lbft. Didn't do wonders for the fuel economy but it was very rapid. I towed a 23ft 'van with that in the same year and it was effortless.

I see yours is automatic. Much kinder to DMF.

Last edited:
My first remap experience was in 2006 - a 2.2 HDi Peugeot 406. We managed 192bhp and 320lbft. Didn't do wonders for the fuel economy but it was very rapid. I towed a 23ft 'van with that in the same year and it was effortless.
I see yours is automatic. Much kinder to DMF.

An automatic with a dual mass flywheel? Oh I get it, you're just testing to see if anyone's awake.
Whatever will they think of next, using long-life anti-squeal grease on the friction pads?

I'm pretty certain we do get DMFs on torque converter autos. My automatic 5 series had one, can't see why with a 6 cylinder petrol engine. Or, let's be more accurate - it's possible to buy a DMF or a solid flywheel conversion.

So I deduce that it was fitted with a DMF.

I'm willing to be corrected if I'm wrong on this.

I am also puzzled why anyone would replace a DMF with a solid FW.

Last edited:
I’ve never known an automatic to have a DMF fitted, all the automatics I’ve worked on had a flex steel plate in place of the normal flywheel which basically carries the starter ring gear. The torque converter assembly gets bolted onto the flex plate and takes the place of a conventional flywheel, driven plate and pressure plate clutch assembly.

Because of the natural damping effect of the torque converter (it’s like a fluid flywheel really) there’s no need for an additional DMF between it and the engine. Come to think of it if you did have a DMF bolted onto the crankshaft then the torque converter you’d probably have a contra effect of two wobbly masses trying to outdo each other.

I’m not sure about these semi-automatic boxes which are really a normal manual gearbox with an automated (or semi-automated) mechanism for controlling the clutch and changing the gears. I’d imagine they could well have a DMF.

People fit solid flywheels and conventional clutches because DMF’s are very expensive and don’t last long with some people like taxi operators. The solid flywheel can also take a lot more punishment (including bump starting) that the DMF can’t.

I’ve never known an automatic to have a DMF fitted, all the automatics I’ve worked on had a flex steel plate in place of the normal flywheel which basically carries the starter ring gear. The torque converter assembly gets bolted onto the flex plate and takes the place of a conventional flywheel, driven plate and pressure plate clutch assembly.

Because of the natural damping effect of the torque converter (it’s like a fluid flywheel really) there’s no need for an additional DMF between it and the engine. Come to think of it if you did have a DMF bolted onto the crankshaft then the torque converter you’d probably have a contra effect of two wobbly masses trying to outdo each other.

I’m not sure about these semi-automatic boxes which are really a normal manual gearbox with an automated (or semi-automated) mechanism for controlling the clutch and changing the gears. I’d imagine they could well have a DMF.

People fit solid flywheels and conventional clutches because DMF’s are very expensive and don’t last long with some people like taxi operators. The solid flywheel can also take a lot more punishment (including bump starting) that the DMF can’t.

The DSG type autos would benefit from DMF fitment.Hydraulic torque converters probably don't need them but so are thus fitted anyway. A DMF protects the crankshaft and all other powertrain components from shock loading.

Hello and a warm welcome to TorqueCars from me the admin! Really nice to have you along.
Sorry for my slow reply, I've been so busy behind the scenes on here lately I have some major catching up to do.

Keep reading the articles on our site and this forum... you'll pick up loads of good common sense tips.

We run a really fun and interesting car community and many have said we're the friendliest around, always ready to help out where we can.

Enjoy your time with us, post loads and feel free to ask any questions or begin new threads and discussions. We're always interested to hear your comments and views on our existing topics and in the hot polls.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back