Hello- 2011 BMW 335D

There are some operators who remap remotely. This is not a good as a hands on rolling dyno map but still superior to tuning box methods.

Disregard anyone who doesn't want the code from your car firstly. You do not want a generic remap flashed over your car's ECU. This can lead to serious stability problems, security problems etc. as your car's serial/chassis number will be overwritten.

Basically, you upload from the OBD2 port to your notebook and then send the file to the tuning company. They will be able to tweak the map remotely and send the file back to you for download to the car. It's not as good as a rolling road map done in real time but better than a generic reflash or tuning box.

A full scale remap is a done on a dyno. The opposite end of the remap scale is a simple one-way reflash. Avoid this for the reasons I stated.

Download > Edit Code > Upload is a perfectly reasonable way to remap your car. It's not as thorough as a dyno map but still a far better proposition than a tuning box.

Still no luck finding a company that will remap, When you say upload to my notebook where would I plug in and what software do I need to download. Also can you recommend a UK company that I can upload to for the flash

The OBD2 port will be somewhere around the drivers footwell. Behind a cover usually. I the E39 5 series it was inside the tray to the drivers right (in a UK car). Google should help you with this. You will need an OBD2 to serial (or USB) cable. The best thing to do firstly is find a tuner you get along with and discuss it with them. They will give you better guidance than I can offer re cables and software. It is very important that you are meticulous with the process otherwise you can wind up with a seized ECU. Bricked is the common term. This is a bad thing. Your car will be immobilized.

In the meantime, however, I will look for some outlets here in the UK. Let's push this open to other members, maybe in the Diesel Forum. My experience of hands on tuning is limited and I don't want to lead you down a route to disaster.

We do need to be cautious with US vs UK and EU spec cars. There are often significant differences. Again, a capable tuner will accommodate this.

JFA Auto, one of our sponsors does the Touch Tune switchable map modules. They send all the correct equipment and cables out to you. You plug in and download the ecu's standard map. When done connect module to your computer and send map to them. They make the adjustment to map and send back to you. Store the new map on the module and plug back into your car and transfer new map to cars ecu. You can have several maps on device i.e performance, economy and standard. I think they were doing an offer for TorqueCars members also. The 335d remap really really well. Not sure what US spec gets but here in UK the 305hp standard output is increased normally to 365hp

In general the attitude to diesel Stateside is probably about a decade behind Europe. Largely because fuel prices are so much lower and so there's not been much interest. Many people (here and in the US) sill believe that diesel is automatically inferior to petrol regardless of the application.

High European fuel prices have forced engine designers to sort out diesel's old reputation for being noisy and slow.

There a still a few around who think that a 1.2 SXi Corsa will mash a BMW 535d!

Hello and a warm welcome to TorqueCars from me the admin! Really nice to have you along.
Sorry for my slow reply, I've been so busy behind the scenes on here lately I have some major catching up to do.

Keep reading the articles on our site and this forum... you'll pick up loads of good common sense tips.

We run a really fun and interesting car community and many have said we're the friendliest around, always ready to help out where we can.

Enjoy your time with us, post loads and feel free to ask any questions or begin new threads and discussions. We're always interested to hear your comments and views on our existing topics and in the hot polls.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back