Greetings from Scotland - 2006 Mondeo starter motor issues

slappyG

Car
1.8 Mondeo 2006
Hi got a 130k 2006 1.8 Mondeo last year. Been relentlessly reliable if a little heavy on fuel except for one time last December
The starter motor packed up briefly ( in a snowstorm in a layby on the A9) after pushing the car back and forward and leaving it for 20 mins, it started fine. Drove 150 miles home, not stopping once and giving it zero excuses to stall.

Then last week went out to start it after it sitting for 10 days in lockdown, all I get is clicking noise. A search on Youtube shows no starter motor changes on petrol engines. Is it basically similar on the diesels? OR can anyone point me at a video?
Reasonably handy with the spanners, just never had to look at this motor before and I'd rather be prepared. Usual tricks of rocking it back and forward in gear and hitting it with a hammer failed.

Thanks in advance for any pointers :)

Hello and a very warm, welcome to TorqueCars from me the admin!

Try wacking the starter motor housing as someone turns it over, it sounds like the solenoid has ceased up, once it's free you may be ok, they can stick if not used much.

Nice to have you along, I hope you're enjoying the site.

Keep reading the articles on our site and this forum... you'll pick up loads of good common sense tips and don't be afraid to post questions, were all here to share our knowledge and experience.

We run a really fun and interesting car community and many have said we're the friendliest around, always ready to help out where we can.

Enjoy your time with us, post loads and feel free to ask any questions or begin new threads and discussions. We're always interested to hear your comments and views on our existing topics and in the hot polls.

Thank you for the warm welcome :)

We had tried repeatedly whacking the solenoid - to the extent my wife got worried as the car was moving slightly on the axle stands as I walloped it from underneath.
Removed the starter/solenoid unit with guidance from this video from Haynes. As always with Haynes they make it look a LOT easier than it actually is. The top nut for the wiring to the solenoid is particularly tricky.
Took out the unit and the solenoid appeared OK. stripped the starter motor and a large amount of crud fell out, looked like disintegrated bushes. On further stripping the bushes were well worn but looked basically OK so I dunno what the crud was. Cleaned it all, regreased bearings etc and everything seemed mechanically OK and no shorts but when we put a battery on it there was no action at all. So a replacement starter for £50 arrives from Ebay tomorrow.
Hope that video link might help someone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Note to mods - can you edit the title of this post to read 2006 Mondeo strter motor - video hints - or something, so it is easier for others to search on, please?

Sure thing - title amended for you, but the link has been removed as per our terms and conditions. When you pass the 10 post limit links *(as long as they are not commercial or spam) are permitted.

Ah OK that makes sense - just tell folk search on the Haynes site they'll find it soon enough - it just does not show up well in Google searches

Hello there, may I wish you a very warm welcome, it's great to have you join us. We hope you enjoy the site and the forum, and please do get stuck into the discussions, we love reading your opinions and hearing about your experiences.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back