spike2018

Tuner
Car
Golf MK5 GTI
im looking for a new car, have about 15,000 2 spend,
and i want a hot hatch,
i like both the golf and the st,
i had a focus before and loved it,
are there any pros or cons to either car that anyone knows about??

many thanks

tom

In my opinion, both are two common. Everyone has a ST or a Golf. If your going for something like that id go for the RS. You will pay a little more but you get a lot more car for your money. And at least then you wouldn't have the embarrassment of stopping at a set of lights, and having a RS pull up next to you.

I see at least two Mk2 RS's every day. Common as muck. I'm guessing you're referring to the Mk1 RS but that price seems steep and they're an extremely overrated car. For that you could get an Evo 8 MR FQ-xxx. If insurance is viable why settle for anything else?

Last edited:
i only like the new model rs n they start at 24000 2nd hand so not realy an option, and th insurance for an evo is stupid money as im only just 21, i do like the golf, but am gunna test drive both soon.

i only like the new model rs n they start at 24000 2nd hand so not realy an option, and th insurance for an evo is stupid money as im only just 21, i do like the golf, but am gunna test drive both soon.

I think I'd probably take the Ford if pushed to give an answer. Simply becuase over the last 5-6 years Ford has become synonymous with quality and driveability.

Sure enough the VAG car is very good, but it's the obvious choice.

VW shifts more Golfs than Ford does Focus' so I'd have to go for 'exclusivity', or at least, minority.

I like different, and with a car as well built as a current Ford it won't be the fool's choice.

24 Grand? The new Focus RS is only 25 grand brand new. The insurance on a Golf GTI or the Focus ST or RS will be around the same price as an EVO anyway.

I think I'd probably take the Ford if pushed to give an answer. Simply becuase over the last 5-6 years Ford has become synonymous with quality and driveability.

Sure enough the VAG car is very good, but it's the obvious choice.

VW shifts more Golfs than Ford does Focus' so I'd have to go for 'exclusivity', or at least, minority.

I like different, and with a car as well built as a current Ford it won't be the fool's choice.

IIRC the Focus has actually sold more than the Golf.
Wasn't the Focus Britains best selling car at one point?

I love my 197......fast enough for the roads in this country (potholes and the like) its not as well built as ther ford or the golf but its a damn site better than the preceeding 172, 182 etc etc. its fun to drive and handles very well. £15,000 will get you a very good one, plus about three grand spare for modifications. just a thought........

For that matter, why not the Golf R32?

6-year old models are available for just over 5 grand, so with 15 you should get a decent example.

I thought you were after a hot hatch? Not a saloon. Evo's shouldn't crop up in this conversation. If you are not bothered about what you get (hot hatch, saloon, coupe) and if your 21, as long as you have 2 years ncb you should be able to get insured quite easily on a Twin Turbo Supra. You would spend around 7 grand on a good one, then spend the rest on ICE, stage 1/2 upgrades, and insurance. Or if you want something newer, id go for the Audi S3. They are rappid.

For that matter, why not the Golf R32?

6-year old models are available for just over 5 grand, so with 15 you should get a decent example.
£5k ones are in quite bad condition , 15 will easily get you a new one.

TN insurance wise
Evo 7 group 20
Gti (200bhp model) group 17
at 21 there probably will be a fair whack between them

IIRC the Focus has actually sold more than the Golf.
Wasn't the Focus Britains best selling car at one point?

Overall, yes. But I see far less Focus STs than I do Golf GTis

I just thought it an interesting way to achieve exclusivity.

i looked at the r32 and loved it but the way i drive id have no fuel left in about a day, i do want a hot hatch so no idea why the evo came into the convo. i dont have no claims either, i have never crashed but was a main named driver on another policy which ment i didnt get no claims when i started but i only paid 800 quid a year after i had passed my test on a 1.2 corsa. the insurance on a gti is about 2000 a year for me, and the r32 2500 so gessing the focus st will be around those 2 figures, also the tax for the gti is quite cheep comapred to r32 and im gessing the st is a bit more expensive. s3's are nice but expensive to buy even second hand as they r good cars, the golf im going to look at is quite exclusive its candy white with black alloys and blacked windows so is going to stand out anyway :)

24 Grand? The new Focus RS is only 25 grand brand new. The insurance on a Golf GTI or the Focus ST or RS will be around the same price as an EVO anyway.

Wrong and wrong. Insurance is a big difference, at least for me anyway.

I mentioned the Evo because it will trounce any of the aforementioned cars thus far, all for the same money, plus they are very comfortable, reliable and with plenty of shiny bits avaliable for them. Not sure why you are confining yourself to a hot hatch tbh.

197 is probably the best shout so far tbh. R32's are just crap and slow and S3's are not rapid as standard, they weigh about 13 tonnes. My old TT Stage 1 Punto used to see them off!

Honda Civic EK9 or EP3 would probably get my vote if I wanted a 'hot hatch'.

Let's not forget running costs, tax, etc. I could probably save up and buy an Evo, but I wouldn't be able to afford to run it atm.

Honda Civic EK9 or EP3 would probably get my vote if I wanted a 'hot hatch'.

Let's not forget running costs, tax, etc. I could probably save up and buy an Evo, but I wouldn't be able to afford to run it atm.

Evo's are not to bad to run. Ok, they are a little when you are doing short distance, but on a long run, not to bad for what you get. I got from Bridgend to Carlisle on a tank. That was 315m in 48L, that works out at around 30-31 mpg (I think, either that or my maths is wrong!lol)

Ok the worst I have had was 35 Miles out of £20 but that's another story!
:blink1:

thanks for your help guys, i have brought a 2007 golf gti :), and i love it, i test drove both and the golf was just so much nicer, i have had a focus before and i liked that but the golf is so much nicer :)

thanks all

tom