Fuel Magnets

nver tried them but heard that there a waste of money

think if they saved fuel wy no fit them as standard same with the "ecotec" valve. i tried the ecotec valve on the civic and they only thin that i liked about it was the noise

def didnt notice an improvement in fuel think it would be the same with the magnets

I had one (IT CAME FREE WITH SOMETHING ELSE BEFORE YOU ALL JUMP ON ME!) and having performed careful analysis of MPG before and answer I can definitively reveal that ...... nothing much happened!

Fuel magnets and molecular alignment.. NO,..... complete bollocks in my opinion.

However, A decent magnet attached to your oil filter does work in removing ferrous particles from the oil paths in the engine. I use these things and they can be transferred from one oil/filter change to the next. Just make sure you remove the filter with the magnet array attached otherwise all the sub ten micron crap runs back into the sump

Pixel said:
What exactly is a fuel magnet?
its a couple of magnets which attach to the fuel and using the fact crude oil is ferrous(somebody back me up on this as not completly sure) it supposed to do something to the petrol which makes it burn more cleanly

as if

A good tip on the oil filter magnet HDI - it is those little particles that wear away the engine and when you open the filter up you can see how effective the magnet has been! (Essential on a new or rebuilt engine and a pretty good idea for everyone else!)

pgarner said:
Pixel said:
What exactly is a fuel magnet?
its a couple of magnets which attach to the fuel and using the fact crude oil is ferrous(somebody back me up on this as not completly sure) it supposed to do something to the petrol which makes it burn more cleanly

as if

For what? 2-3 extra mpg? lol

Fuel magnets are marketed as a kind of fuel catalyst and are supposed to provide all sorts of benefits.

My knowledge of physics (chemistry being just a subset of physics really) is pretty strong and I struggle to understand how magnets attached to your fuel line can do anything with the fuel and its combustion properties.

OK, if your fuel is laced with microscopic particles of ferrous metals then it will attract those particles thus preventing them from entering the engine's fuel system. See my post on oil filter magnets - these work for exactly that reason.

I cannot accomodate the idea that there are any magnetically chargeable arrays of atomic particles in ANY fuel, diesel or petrol, whether fossil or vegetable derived.

So, how can a pair of magnets, however intense the magnetic field, have any effect upon the engine's use of fuel?

OK, let's say you have a car that's been abused and under-serviced for 50,000 miles. You then choose to give it a thorough 'work-out'. Flush the oil, change the filters, drain the tank of stale fuel, chuck injector cleaner through it, new plugs and spark leads, discs and pads all round, sort the tyre pressures and get a full four wheel alignment, new brake fluid etc. and also fit a fuel magnet, then of course it's going to drive better and give better economy.

But this is not the result of the fuel magnet.

Fossil or vegetable derived fuels are not in any way sensitive to magnetic static fields.

If the field was alternating then you could argue a minor case because this would slightly warm the fuel (because it slightly warms the metal fuel pipes) and might JUST, if you are lucky, with a diesel engine, allow the injectors to have a slightly easier time of injecting the slightly less viscous fuel.

But, for me. Nope.

My granny got a magnetic wrist band to help her arthritus and I did notice that she started drinking less tea! :lol:

Perhaps she drank less tea because the arthritis continued to get worse and she was less able to make a cuppa. This, in spite of the magnet.

??

;)

Oils are not magnetic. Castrol's Magnatec brand is just a brand. The oil is not magnetic and does NOT cling to surfaces through magnetic attraction. Even if it did, welll, most pistons are made of aluminium. Turbocharger bearings of titanium, molybdenum or even ceramic. None of these have magnetic properties.

This is not to say that Castrol's Magnatec oil is bad. It's very good stuff indeed used in the right application, but it does not achieve it's results through magnetism. I think you'll also find that Castrol has never tried to tell you anything to the contrary by way of labelling.

only 3 elements are magnetic: iron, cobalt and nickel.

iron i beleive is what someone meant by ferous, otherwise if any of those element whether in standard state or in trans. metal ions are in your petrol....bugger.

wonder wot it is then it was a thick black liquid that went mentak when a magnet went near it. anyideas?

absolute zero is only around -237 degress of is it -273 cant remember

That black stuff is not crude oil.

It was branded in the 1970's as ferrofluid, consisting of an oil carrier (which isn't magnetic), and ferrous particles (which are). As such you wind up with a fluid which consists of iron particles suspended in oil, rather than dissolved in it. It was a clever pack of additives that maintained the surface tension of the oil carrier so that it behaved in the manner a truly magnetic liquid would behave.

It was fashionable to use it to cool high frequency drivers of PA speakers, and in some cases, certain domestic loudspeakers with very very high power handling requirements. I believe this practice is now obsolete with modern high power speakers using voice coils made from materials other than straight copper. By high power, I mean of the order of 1000 watts continuous RMS input.

cheers
that might be it i just remember it about 10 years ago on something like blue peter it was thick black liquid in a persex box that was spiking and moving when a magnet was moving around it. always thought it was just crude oil.

Absolute zero is a situation that is impossible to achieve in reality. At that temperature the laws of classical physics break down. Even nearly above it, they start to misbehave enourmously.

That's really just to say that nature is less straightfoward than we think. There are a few situations where zero K might be beenficial. Example, electricity distribution could be revolutionised. Transmit it through zero resistance conductors without having to ramp up the PD to 425,000 volts or more. And through hair thin wires.

Problem, how do you keep 'em that cold?

at absolute zero, theoretically you can suspend an atom without it moving enabling us to view it and see what it actually looks like.

(under a verrry big picoscope)

I suppose at absolute zero we can honestly say that an atom is a physical thing. It's the interchangibility of energy and mass that makes it complex anywhere above absolute zero.

Like light, for example. It's convenient to use the wave theory for some purposes, and the particle theory (photons) for others.

i dont have a wife so i can't agree :lol:

did you know that female hands and feet are on average 3 degrees C less than the male equivelent?

You can't magnetize fuel to increase efficiency

You can't align the molecules with a magnet

But they do save fuel. We have been doing it for over 30 years in industrial applications. We now operate out of West Virginia as Positive Fuel and Water. Over 1,700 conversions in the last three years. We work with gasoline, diesel fuel, propane, heating oil, natural gas, water, air and refrigerant. If this didn't work we couldn't have patented the product line like we have for decades (10 patent numbers on the fuel system label itself). No one can copy us, but they sure do try. I read about the magnets wrapped in plastic cases on eBay and just laugh.

We don't advertise on eBay or any other e-commerce site. Must be why you haven't heard of us. Today is Friday and an off-route day, so I am searching the Internet to answer questions and stuff. Monday through Thursday I run routes where I see commercial fleet owners, property managers and others.

We do the actual conversions and no, we don't just use magnets. We find the free energy from unburned fuel, scale, carbon and friction. Plus work on AC systems too to increase efficiency 15 to 23 percent.

Jeff