Europe vs. USA

wigguy1

Wrench Pro
Car
84,944porsche,400hp
I was watching a show on BBC America tonight and they were testing mpg enhancers. (they trashed them all) The car was a medium sized Vauxhall 4 door. It got 49.00 mpg. I've seen others that got 50 to 70 mpg. To get this kind of mpg in the USA the car weighs 32 lbs and you push with your foot 1/2 the time.
The only thing I can come up with is higher octane fuel. Here, I have 1 station that has 96 octane premium fuel, every place else it is 94 or 95 at best. What do you guys get in Europe that extends your mpg so much? :confused: :confused: :confused:

The gallon is also smaller over here 0.8327 of the US Gallon. US and UK octane ratings also differ slightly so we're not really comparing like with like.

At least our miles are the same length!

The gallon is also smaller over here 0.8327 of the US Gallon. US and UK octane ratings also differ slightly so we're not really comparing like with like.

At least our miles are the same length!

Err, that makes it bigger :)

1 UK gallon is equal to just over 1.2US gallons

Last edited:
You know I'm still struggling with this one! Bigger, smaller! I hedged my bets and gave the figures so you'd know what I mean!

The US Gallon is smaller over here! Um if it was a UK sized US gallon and got converted when it moved over. Er I mean "The UK gallen contains more fuel than the US gallon." Doh! Can't we just use litres instead!

Um. ^ What he said!

Some cars in the UK and Europe have engines less than 61 Cu Ins :)

Most are less than 120ci and weigh less than 2 tons That may have something to do with it :)

id say the extra size of the gallon over here would help.
that and of course the smaller engines and lighter cars. im seeing close to 50 from my oilburner

think our 99 octane fuel is around the same as your 96

Octane numbers are different. Europe uses RON (research octane number), the US a knock resistance index which although related is not the same.

There's also a MON (Motor Octane Number) and it's value is not related to to RON ie. there is no conversion factor that can be applied.

From what I understand US 91 Octane pump fuel is the same as Euro/UK 95 Octane.

This little piece explains it well, though no exhaustively, so shall not re-author....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating#Motor_Octane_Number_.28MON.29

Sadly it doesn't answer the OP's question. Perhaps US gasoline has a lower calorific value than its European counterpart?

I also imagine that the agreed testing procedures are wildly different.

Last edited:
Thank you gentlemen, the 100 octane may explain alot. The tall guy on Top Gear once called our gas "weak juice", now I get it.

^ ^ ^ Mr Clarkson that'll be ^ ^ ^

Thing is you guys more than make up for it with far lower pump prices so it's OK to pedal a bit harder. We are all starting to drive with feathers over here in the UK at least.

The biggest reason for the gap is that American and European gallons are different amounts. American gallons are smaller, resulting in a huge discrepancy in fuel economy.

The imperial gallon
The imperial (UK) gallon, defined as 4.54609 litres, is used in some Commonwealth countries and was originally based on the volume of 10 pounds of water at 62 °F (17 °C). (A US liquid gallon of water weighs about 8.34 pounds at the same temperature.) The imperial fluid ounce is defined as 1⁄160 of an imperial gallon.

The US liquid gallon
The US gallon, which is equal to 3.785411784 litres is legally defined as 231 cubic inches.[1][2] There are four quarts in a gallon, two pints in a quart and sixteen fluid ounces in a pint. In order to overcome the effects of expansion and contraction with temperature when using a gallon to specify a quantity of material for purposes of trade, it is common to define the temperature at which the material will occupy the specified volume. For example, for purposes of trade, the volume of petroleum products[3] and alcoholic beverages[4] are both referenced to 60 °F (16 °C).

The US dry gallon
This gallon is one-eighth of a US Winchester bushel of 2150.42 cubic inches, thus it is equal to exactly 268.8025 cubic inches or 4.40488377086 L. The US dry gallon is less commonly used, and is not listed in the relevant statute, which jumps from the dry quart to the peck.[5]

Example: Running my Saturn's highway rated gas mileage through a converter (35 MPG US) brings it to 42 MPG imperial. The 25 us MPG city becomes 30 MPG imperial.
My Z34:
US city: 18 MPG
US Highway: 26 MPG
imperial city: 21.6 MPG
imperial highway: 31.2 MPG

2013 Chevrolet Cruze Eco (1.4L turbo, 6 M/T)
US city: 28 MPG
US Highway: 42 MPG
imperial city: 33.6 MPG
imperial highway: 50.4 MPG

My Dad's 2011 Silverado (5.3L V8, 6 A/T)
US city: 15 MPG
US Highway: 22 MPG
imperial city: 18 MPG
imperial highway: 26.4 MPG

Last edited: