Enthrusiastic Newb ;)

bigdavesphinx

Hi all! I joined the forum quite a while ago, but have been without a computer since lol

so i thought i'd start by saying hi!

Bit bout myself, im 20, working and studying at uni at same time. Am just browsing and trying to decide on my first car, ideally i'd like something easy to tune as well as newb friendly lol, and am hopping i can learn some stuff here!

hi and welcome im sure we can help you with your purchase what type of cars do you like to get good power ganes to tune you will be looking at a bigger engine because its easier and cheeper than a 1.0L say but if its your first car you may need to be carful about insurance how much are you looking at spending what about fiesta 1.4 small car nippy easy to get parts good looking!

im still in two minds over what to get, i could just go crazy and get a 180sx or a old e36 bm and fork out for the insurance monthly or be sensible and get a 306 or a clio, sumthin small and nippy as you said, im 6ft 4 so i need a car with legroom lol, thats the factor thats makin me consider bigger car!

not a bad idea, afaik tdi's can be alot quicker than factory am i right?
i still got a while as im trying to gather my pennies lol, will definitely be buying around march/april, so i got plenty of window shopping to do lol

yup im getting my new car tomorrow lol but keep looking and if your gonna buy give us a shout we will tell you what to look for to see if it is a dogey motor its a good community on here!!

Torquecars - the home of those who hold certificates to PROVE than they're clinically sane.

Welcome - in the words of Glen Frey - 'You Can Check Out But You Can Never Leave.'

Hi and welcome Bigdave, nice to have you along. You've probably worked out that we're all totally car mad, and sometimes this madness spreads into other areas of our lives!

A TDI with a remap would give great power gains. I guess insurance costs are still pretty high for you. Do you have any no claims bonus?

lmao @ clinically sane .......... packs bags and heads for door as they wont give me certificate :(

hi and welcome, im sure when time comes to get your car if you post your budget (will send you me address - only joking) we will be happy to steer you in the best direction, might be worth while testing out a few insurance websites for quotes for all the cars you have in mind before you settle on one at least then you will have an idea on price dif for insurance bands etc as they can be decieving, eg my 200sx s14 (2ltr turbo) is cheaper to insure then my old 2.2 sri vectra but same price as GSI vec (2.5 v6) and. suppose your age is going to play an important factor aswell.

you might had to sit it out for a year with a smaller car that you can subtly modify (not go mad) get a years no claims under ya belt then move onto to something bigger and better :)

anyway taxis here im off to try and prove my sanity lol

have fun here, we are all a bit crazy (shhhhhhhhhhhhhh but dont tell 'THEM')

lmao @ clinically sane .......... packs bags and heads for door as they wont give me certificate :(

hi and welcome, im sure when time comes to get your car if you post your budget (will send you me address - only joking) we will be happy to steer you in the best direction, might be worth while testing out a few insurance websites for quotes for all the cars you have in mind before you settle on one at least then you will have an idea on price dif for insurance bands etc as they can be decieving, eg my 200sx s14 (2ltr turbo) is cheaper to insure then my old 2.2 sri vectra but same price as GSI vec (2.5 v6) and. suppose your age is going to play an important factor aswell.

you might had to sit it out for a year with a smaller car that you can subtly modify (not go mad) get a years no claims under ya belt then move onto to something bigger and better :)

If you go on a insurance comparison site try to put in a phone number that you don't really use or they will bombard you with calls if your just getting quotes. I forget about this everytime and I did a quote the other day now they are ringing me 3 times a day and I can tell you it's very annoying....:mad::mad::mad::mad:

If you go on a insurance comparison site try to put in a phone number that you don't really use or they will bombard you with calls if your just getting quotes. I forget about this everytime and I did a quote the other day now they are ringing me 3 times a day and I can tell you it's very annoying....:mad::mad::mad::mad:

I had that when I recently renewed my policy. I was getting calls early morning whilst I was trying to sleep asking me if I was planning to accept the policy that would cost me £2800! I just said, 'Adrian Flux quoted me £500'. To which they replied, 'oh ok, well we can't beat that'.

Back on topic though, first cars are a pain in the ass because although you want something quick and tunable, you'll most likely have to settle for a small engine due to insurance. My advise would be to get a little car (I had a 1.0 litre Corsa), build up a year or 2 of no claims bonus and then get a tunable car.

think most of us got them in lucky bags :cheesy:

Re: comparrison sites.

lie about your age as well but only by a day. i allways put my DOB as 27/07/84 when you get the quote phone the company up and get a new one. ive saved a bit by doing this.
another good way of saving money is to pay it in one go as most charge stupid amounts to pay monthly

my first car was a 1.ol polo. loved it, and in some ways wish i still had it.:(

try bell for insurance quote, i'm also 20 and i got quoted around 600 with mods declared and i'm allowed to drive other cars 3rd party.

mmmm bell must have changed thery're policy in the last year them. i used to be with them however you have to be over 25 to drive other cars 3rd party but they dont tell you unless you ask, i found it in the small print somewhere phoned them up to confirm. Admirial do the same as well so did the post office but both of them told me .

it should also be noted that the other car has to be insured by someone else
ie you cant go out and buy a scooby and drive that 3rd party cusing the polos insurance.

it was an optional extra, i paid around £40 over the 10 months as part as a Flexi Bell policy. main reason is there are three cars in my houshold all in one drive, saves the hassle of moving two cars out the way to get to mine if i'm just nipping to the shops or for a take away ha ha

ahh right i always took the full policy as when looked at the flexi options i was taking most of it anyway.
yeah that why i wanted it, still i was only around £30 to add to the wifes policy for full comp

thanks for your replies everyone!

i've just had a go on gocompare (dunno if they any good lol) here are the cheapest quotes:

306 1.9DT - £1,310
Daewoo matiz(lol) - £1,210:amazed:(thought itd be cheaper than that!!!)
1.0L Corsa - £1,162
200sx turbo - £2,459 (no harm in trying lol)

P.S. - i still have the option to do pass plus, can anyone confirm which insurance companies offer discounts if i have pass plus?

thanks again guys, @fraserdunn - gonna get a quote off bell aswell, will let you know what the result is, thanks

bell were the cheapest for me when i started as well, they wanted £900 for a 1.4 civic no NCB, with 1 years worth of driving at 19.
did go up to £1300 with mods decleared.
alot of companies give a big dicount for pass plus as much as 25% - same as 1 years NCB

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back