Engine

SimonVernon6n

Car
99 VW polo 1.4 8v
right i have a 1.4 8v and yeah its a pretty decent engine but as any warm blooded male i want more, i know a guy whos selling a 1.8 20vt but yno i dont really have to be arsing around with stuff is it a straight swap or do i have to do some modding?

cheers

si

Welcome to the site mate. Noticed your from Windermere. My father owns a 5 bedroomed place in Ings just outside Windermere.

nope its not a straight swap as such. however it is a pretty common swap so everything is avalible.

you will need to have the codes changed on the ECU however other wise itll fire and die within a few seconds

not quite..

you need the key, transponder ring and immobiliser control box from the same car as the engine came from. then you have a full set of matched immob components and will have no issues.

all you do is wire it in (5wires) tape the key to the transponder ring and tuck it away behind the dash. that way you still use your standard keys and ignition barrel to start car, and immob is taken care of.
Or if you cant get them, you can grab a key, transponder and box from another 1.8t, and have them coded to match your ecu via vagcom (takes 2 mins).

other and more expensive option is to get the ecu de-mobilized. this cost £120 last time i looked, but means the engine can be lobbed into any car without worrying about the immob.

20vT into a polo would be ridiculous though IMO. car is tiny, and weighs faff all, you'd have too much weight over front wheels so handling would be compromised, and too much power to actually put down (unless its a bog standard 150bhp AGU etc)

for whats involved, id recommend you look at tuning a 1.6 16v instead, or fitting a mk3 golf 16v (abf) engine. 150bhp out the box n/a.

yeah i was looking at keeping it at standard 150 so you say the mk 3 16v? sounds like a plan and there are many of scrapped mk3's around. 150bhp tuned up? if so how much does it have standard, sorry about all the questions but yno im abit of a n00b when it comes to engines and shizzle. oh and is it the same as above to fit the mk3 16v?

cheers

si

yeah i was looking at keeping it at standard 150 so you say the mk 3 16v? sounds like a plan and there are many of scrapped mk3's around. 150bhp tuned up? if so how much does it have standard, sorry about all the questions but yno im abit of a n00b when it comes to engines and shizzle. oh and is it the same as above to fit the mk3 16v?

cheers

si

not quite..

for whats involved, id recommend you look at tuning a 1.6 16v instead, or fitting a mk3 golf 16v (abf) engine. 150bhp out the box n/a.

as pikey said the 2 ltr ABF is 150 out of the box, stay away from the 8v version (cant remember the engine code) with 115bhp

not sure what 1.6 hes on about as theres a few,, with up to 125bhp standard

I wouldnt be so quick to dismiss the 2.0 8V.....
Its what im running in my mk2 golf at the mo, its a crap slow engine in the mk3, but in the lighter mk2, and with a taller driver gearbox, its rapid!
its about to get a full rebuild with some major upgrades, but its still an awesome engine in a light car.
In a polo which is about same weight as a mk2 Golf, it would be well worth doing, as they are considerably cheaper than the 16v ABF engines

I wouldnt be so quick to dismiss the 2.0 8V.....
Its what im running in my mk2 golf at the mo, its a crap slow engine in the mk3, but in the lighter mk2, and with a taller driver gearbox, its rapid!
its about to get a full rebuild with some major upgrades, but its still an awesome engine in a light car.
In a polo which is about same weight as a mk2 Golf, it would be well worth doing, as they are considerably cheaper than the 16v ABF engines

the 2.0 8v thats the mk3 gti right? my mates selling hers atm but im not exactly up for buying an engine for 450... so i shall scavange cheers for the help guys :D

si

hi all thinkin of doing a engine swap to my polo mk3 what is the best engine that will fit stright in with not much hassel cheers