Engine Swap Help

tonysoprano

Hi new member bought a MK 4 Polo 1.4 automatic.

Im lookin at a full engine swap and have professional friends who can do it for me. I want advise of what engine I can put in there. My budget is £1500 so please email me on jdlyddall@yahoo.co.uk for any advise on engine's I can swap in. Thanks very Much James

Welcome to the forum mate. Any advice given will be given on this forum so that others can learn. How about a 1.8 from the Golf or Bora?

yeah, I'd take a look, I know for sure that a 2litre Golf GTI engine would fit, including all the additional gearbox upgrades ect so a 1.8 would be good. I know some people do put some truly exotic engine swaps so I was lookin at any Mercedes engines or anything that would really shift any 2 seater mid range Japanese sports car. Thanks for your help dude and Im sure I'll get some mad genious tellin me what to do. Thanks again xxx

thanks Ive actually found a great website called "engines and stuff" and they sell any engine. I can even buy a Nissan Skyline engine but my engine bay is too small as its a big engine block. Im very intrested in Honda engines Prelude's or Civic's and there's a Toyota Twin Turbo engine which looks like it can fit very nicely. Its great buyin from America as say a engine for $2000 works out as £1170 so you can buy a great engine and get it imported. Shipping cost is a bitch though.

remember if you import it yo will also have the dreaded import tax. i thinkits about the same as vat around the 17% mark

i got stung £34 on £198 worth of stuff then an admin charge as well. on top of shipping you might be cheaper just buying over here.

I've seen a lupo with a vr6 engine :)

how old is the polo ??

If you're not too fussed over a new car then I would sell it for a mk2 golf and put a vr6 engine in( Or buy one as a project . . I've seen them for as little as £1500 !!). The tuning options on the golf are amazing. You can buy the subframe to slot the engine straight in, swap the drive brakes etc from mk3 and even put a mk3 dash in. I've also seen a mk2 with an audi tt dash in, air con working etc !! Looked awesome.

The guy I bought the G60 had a mk2 vr. Sounded amazing. His was chipped to 200bhp but there's loads more you can do.

you can get a g40 polo. A lot of people tune these up so if you don't like the above you could get one of those engines ??

thing is, with a polo 1.4, unless you've done it already it would be stupid to put a big engine in with the brakes, wheels, suspension etc in it. Then you'd want better seats, interior etc ?? At least with a golf gti as a base you get a decent interior etc to start with.

Cheers buddy apreciate it. Yeah I see your point I like Golf's but I saw this Polo and its a good buy. Its 32,000miles, candy black paint and Ive already tinted the windows black on it. I have no idear why its candy paint but it just looks really mean. Oh the polo is a mk4 5 door. Ive already done a split bonnet, got a custom boot build in the back and Ive litreally just fiber glassed my doors so got 4 speakers on the front door and 5 on the back.

Yeah I understand what you mean about the golf but then people would say... why not get a civic instead of doing a golf ect. Im really happy with this design and Ive been working my ass off to get these done lol. I didnt realise interior stitching would cost so freaking much. Ok Like I said its a 2001 Polo it has black candy paint and black tinted windows. My vision is a two tone lime green and black interior. Ive already done an amazing audio system and got internal neons under the seats, in the boot and under the car, you run the risk of looking chavy doing this but Ive pulled it off nicely I think because of the flashy paint work. Im going to settle with a 2 litre Golf Engine as Im thinking petrol costs and no doubt in the next few years it'l just cost more and more. I have 2 7inch monitors in my back seats and getting the seats leather on Monday which would cost £1000. Thats why I love customising cars as its everyone's style and everyone has some really great ideas and their own styles. Cheers for the message appreciate it, they'res some great people on hear.

Thanks again

No problem mate, we are always happy to help. Are you going to smooth over the body work as well? Maybe black out the rear lights...that'll look sweet. When you reach 10 posts do you fancy posting up some pics? A few contributions on the main forum would boost up the post count to the necessary 10.

No problem mate, we are always happy to help. Are you going to smooth over the body work as well? Maybe black out the rear lights...that'll look sweet. When you reach 10 posts do you fancy posting up some pics? A few contributions on the main forum would boost up the post count to the necessary 10.

Well the thing with me is that I am not mechanically minded so I dont do any of the work myself as I wouldnt know how to. Its not my area of expertise. Ive got my friends to do it but Ive learnt its better to always get it done professionaly.

They might charge you **** loads more, but there's a reason why theyre a "Business". Ive bought suicide door hinges from suicidedoors.com already got lexus lights on her. But I only bought the car last month so Ive only done audio at the moment. Yeah I'd do that I'd take one every moth or so. Laterz dude I'l post a photo on hear in the next couple of days.

Sounds like you've been really busy on her already. Love to see the pics - 5 posts to go!

:lol: Ok, so it looks like you've already got the insides looking sweet !!!

You say about the 2ltr engine . . what about the 1.8t ??

These are what most people are using as transplants. I think the fuel might be better and they are certainly more tunable.

They come standard at 150bhp or 180bhp, or you might be lucky and get the 225bhp from the tt:D

300bhp is achievable, and probably quite scary in a polo !! :amazed:

found this from someone who's doing the conversion

Hi guys, the project is finally started thought i'd give an update!
The old 1.4 fsi engine is out now, im looking to sell it with ecu, gearbox etc, anyone know how much i could get for it? its got 45,000 & Full Vdub history.
Heres the rundown of parts i needed for my 280hp (hopefully) polo:

AYP 1.8t from Seat ibiza
02J Gearbox from Ibiza 5speed
Drive shafts from new skoda fabia TDI
K04-023 turbo, Manifold & pressure Pipe from Audi TT 225.
Custom Intercooler & Turbo inlet pipes
Injectors, 4bar FPR & fuel pump from Audi TT 225
3" MAF housing
Engine Mounts, Gearbox Mounts (OEM from VW)
Engine Support Brackets & console (OEM from VW)
Turbo Oil lines extended to fit because of K04
Front Mount Intercooler - 530 x 234 x 65 mm
Blitz Super sound BOV
3" Blueflame Custom D/P & Exhaust - from Turbo to Back
LINK G3 Stand Alone ECU & display link.

I was originally getting a plug and play ecu, but after ordering I was told its not quite plug n play on the 9N! The engine would run fine but all the tachos in the dash wouldn't & i would have to either get a polo GTI EMS or new LCR EMS or run extra gauges. I wanted a clean standard looking install & didnt want to change my dash, this was a big problem because the only reason I was doing the conversion was because it seemed easy (wrong!).
Then I was really regretting not taking the clocks, keys, ign barrel, ecu, etc from the donor car and I guess alot of people will think I should have gone that route in the first place, but now I am getting a stand alone ecu which can control everything (except VAG diagnostics), I found Thor racing who said they can help me out, The ECU will hook up to everything in the car so I dont have to change any clocks & it comes with a display link (small screen) which tells you everything.
I managed to grab a bargain off ebay for the K04 turbo & manifold last week (£285 & in excellent cond) so I had to get that which ment also getting a few extra bits like the fpr, maf etc.
Im waiting for my parts from VW, should be here on tuesday, then i can get the engine in place!
Then I Will be getting the car towed to BlueFlame for my Exhaust then to THOR Racing to get the ECU fitted & a day on the rollers mapping. Hoping to see 290hp, but i'll be happy with 250 to be honest!
All in the project is costing me £4250... if everything works I saved £3000 rather than paying another company & I have a standalone ecu.

hello
i want to swap engine from a vw golf 1.6 mk 4 for a seat leon 1.8t 20v. do you think its possible if so do i really have to change the wiring of the entire car or the wiring is the same in vw and seat leon . do i only need to change the ecu and the ignition hub.anyone who has done it pliz hell

its possible im currently following a project converting a 1.4 mk4 golf to a s3 engine. as far as am aware you would need to rewire the engine bay at leasat. but you would need to change the brakes. the engines should be the same as the golf. i think it was only 200+ bhp audis that had a slghtly different setup ( inlet manifold faced the other way and a different fuel rail )

Hi tony and welcome. The 1.8T should do nicely in the golf engine bay. You will need the rewiring to be done to get it to work and you may need some custom engine mounts. You'll end up with a stunning car!

You will also need to alter the front suspension as the engines are different weights and this will affect the handling.

any good fabricator should be able to help you out.
is it the 8v or the 16v 1.6 ? if it the 16 then al have a look at the wifes next time a get a chance see if there in the same posistion. if they are a scrappy should be able to provide mounts.

i will like to know if you are goig to change the whole wiring of the car so that your new engine can work or not pliz help becoz iam thinking of doing the same thing but iam a but scared of messing with the whole cars electric.

i THINK, but not 100% tthat it should only be the engine bay wireing that needs changed. however i think the instrament clocks will need changed and reprogrammed

the imobiliser and ecu will also need changed.

try giving JBS a phone they might be able to help you

Hi, ive got a polo 9n and ive got a 2.08v golf engine with ecu and loom from a friend but i was wondering if any1 knew how much work would be needed to make the engine fit and get it running, and what other modifications would be needed to the transmission side of things! Any help would be appreciated, cheers Chris

you will probably need
custom engine mounts and driveshafts
stronger suspension for the weight of the engine
and depending on the ECU and Engine you may need to have the immobiliser disabled as they were linked to instrament panel from the late Mk3 models

also the 8v engine is pretty asthmatic 115bhp from a 2ltr when the 1.6 16v gives 105 and the 1.8 20v non turbo 125

The ratios would be miles out, it would just act like a super close ratio box but I don't think it would last very long at all. There is quite a power difference here and the 1.2 Box is just not built to handle it.