Emergency stops.

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
When was the last time you had to do an emergency stop? Did you screech to a halt? I would assume that most of us have ABS now which does take away a lot of the drama.

I had to suddenly stop for some stupid w****r that watched me approach them, and then pulled out at the last second. He got an ear full! :lol: This was a few weeks back. Still, it's good to have something to test your reactions every now and again I guess.

I had a numptie walking across the road into my path. I slammed on the ancors and he just looked at me from the center of the road! Maybe I should have just kept going - I'm too considerate like that!

I have rear brake that squeals a little so I was doing emergency stops to try and stop this but it's still there (plenty of pad wear left as well!)

bout a year ago came over a hill and a nice farmer was crossing his cows into another field. no signage up to warn the drivers coming from the other side

Cows are not roadworthy.

1) Their horns do not work
2) Their horns are a sharp protrusion that would never pass NCAP
3) Their black and white paint job will distract other drivers
4) No Tail Lights
5) Udders prevent sufficient clearance over speed humps and pot holes
6) Pollution control - too many solid particles per mile
7) Methane emissions are bad for the environment
8) They do not have seat belts.

The road traffic act should apply to herds of cows because farmers drive them!

Do you think I have missed any points off? :lol:

got a bit off topic there lol... going from emergency stops to cows emission tests heh
oh an back on topic.... the last time i had to do one was on my test ;p

Last edited:
Well done steve09 - nicely back on topic there! Didn't even notice the subtle transition :lol:

My driving test emergency stop was hilarious - the examiner elbowed me as he turned round to check for cars then he moved his notepad to the dashboard really slowly. Not very realistic at all if you ask me!

Yes the whole point of an emergency stop is that it is an EMERGENCY! The examiner should jump out from behind a corner and if he lives you pass :lol:

Ive had to slow down quite a lot for some people who pull out of a junction in front of me at the last minute, but Im used to this. As Im driving along, If I see someone about to pull out, Im always ready for it.

The most recent time where Ive had to stop hard & fast was about 13-14 months ago when I still had my first car (1.25 fiesta). This car has no ABS, PAS or anything like that...

Basically, I was driving down a 40 Road doing about 50-60 ** when the car in front slammed on because a bird or a squirrel or something like that was in the road. Good to know that he values a life of a rodent more than his own, those in his car and potentially those in the car behind him (me... lol)

So yeah, he slammed on - I slammed on and stopped... Litterally....about 6 inches from his back bumper, maybe even less! So yeah, it was a close call!

** Just like the car in front was, and every car on the road for that matter. It shouldnt be a 40 road. Its a huge stretch about 2-3 miles long with no houses on either side.

I had a guy pull out in front of me and turned right when I was doing about 50 yesterday. Slammed on the brakes and layed into the horn but he didn't even seem to notice me! :eek: Some people shouldn't have licences.