Drums to discs?

TITAN

Tuner
Car
Honda Civic EG
Is it possible to convert brake drums to discs and roughly how much would this set me back?

It can be done if you can get hold of all the suitable hubs etc from a donor car. You might well need different master cylinder and other hydraulic bits too.

Yes it is possible mate. It'll cost you around £1500. The problem with drums to discs is that the entire rear setup needs replacing. I think D2 racing do a conversion for the Civic. You will also need pads and calipers. Another very important point is to upgrade the front brakes as well. I think the braking bias is 85:15 (front:rear) so you'll need to upgrade the fronts for sure! You'll also need to consider what kind of power you'll be putting under the hood.

When are you planning this because I'm having mine converted in the next few months so I can let you know all the costs and stuff?

knowing that now it probably wont be for a while yet and i may jus end up buying a Vti which has discs all round as standard doesnt it?

the only thing is that until i get discs i dont really want to put alloys on as you'll just see the dirty, dull drums (aliteration ;))

That's another point I forgot to mention...you'll need to get the alloys first to allow enough clearance for the calipers at the back and the upgraded calipers at the front. Dealers will be able to tell you which alloys give what clearance. For example some alloys won't give clearance for Brembo calipers at they are fairly big calipers, but Integra Type R calipers should be enough.

Yes a VTi does have discs and pads all round, but not big enough discs to cope with huge amounts of power.

I've often wondered why car makers choose to fit rear drum brakes anyway. Is it a cost issue? I imagine that discs, pads and calipers are simpler and cheaper anyway.

Or is it because of the requirements of the parking (hand)brake?