Driving Laws and other driving bits and bobs

Car
Skoda Fabia vRS
Right I have a few questions so here goes.

1. The driving age is currently 17. There are plans to raise this. Does anyone know when this is and my brother is 17 next year and wants 2 know.

2. When you gain a license in the UK you have a "probationary license" which means you only have 6 pts. Which means if you get pulled buy the cops and you have an illegal tyre and a bulb out or something else illegal and its bye bye license. This does go up to 12 pts but is it after 2 years of driving or more?

3. Does anyone on here know the points and fine system for speeding? A mate of mine just got caught and wanted to know what the penalty would be. Had a look on the net but couldn't find anything definitive. For example how many points per percentage over the speed limit.

Thanks

1. Your brother shouldn't be affected, as the plans aren't due to commence for some time (as far as I know).

2. You can obtain 6 points in your first 2 years of having a full license.

3. 6 Points now or soon, if not 6, then 3.

the age has been going up since i turned 17, im 24 in 7 wks.
2. Prince is right although you have a FULL licence your only entitled to 6 points max then license is gone and full test is required again.

3. speeding is a funny one basics are 3 points and fine but can be a license loser depending on judge. over 50 in a 30, 80 in a 60 and 100 on M/way i think are the limits but depends on the judge.

I would say it is 90 on a motorway for 3 points - its generally over the limit by 20mph and they throw the book at you 6 points and or ban. It is very discresionary though and I don't think that guidelines have been published. Technically they can give points for doing 31 in a 30 but most allow 10% and your speedo will over read anyway.

Indeedy. It is very discresionary. If you get an officer at the end of their shift waiting to go home - you might be VERY lucky. Someone I know got pulled over for doing 55 in a 30 limit and got let off with a warning. The warning was along the lines of "I really can't be bothered with this when there's drug dealers and rapists to be dealt with - but DON'T do it again" :-D

Had a buddy on his way to work the other morning in a ford crew cab diesel got stopped for doing 74 in a 55 mph and got off with a warning!!! It sometimes has to do with your attitude as well as the officers.

it has changed as im 17 this year, and if you are born in 1992 1st september onwards you have to be 18 to drive and must stay onto school till you are also 18

no problem waynne - im glad im 17 before this tho

this is what everyone has told me btw people so its speculation and i remember hearing it on the radio

:eek: NO! I was betting "you were glad you were nearly 17" not betting that "you were nearly 17!" I'm a very happily married man!

(When you read this 1st time it doesnt make sense by the 4th re-read it starts to make sense.)

i've heard the speculation as well about the driving age going up and the daily mail had an article about it but i just searched google and found this site http://www.2pass.co.uk/ages.htm and it says "We have received many questions from worried teenagers in the UK regarding rumours of the minimum driving age increasing to 18.
There are currently no such plans - so stop worrying!"

Here in the states-less than 15 over its aticket wtih fines and driving schools, do more than 15 over, they take you to jail and 20 over you loose you licence for like a year i believe, ! But people are still street racing everyday!!!! Brave souls :)