dpf filter

Mark100000

Car
mondeo2.0 x tdci
Hi everyone, i am a dedicated petrol head and have always had large capacity 5,6 and 8 cylinder na vehicles, i have just done the dreaded thing and bought my first diesel, and having read about the regen mode the dpf filter goes into when needed, i was wondering if the extra heat and lack of intercooling can cause the temp gague to rise slightly. still within normal but definately running hotter and just for an hour and never again. coolant level is fine and fans come on when they should, any ideas?

thanks, mark

Yes it will, everything runs hotter to burn of the particles in the filter. This is quite normal.

Intercoolers only reduce the temperature of the air intake temperature and will have pretty much zero effect on the running temps of the engine.

Drive it hard and avoid short journeys and it will be fine.

May the Torque be with you!

My Peugeot 406 (2.2 HDi) used to exhibit very very high exhaust gas temps during regeneration. I was always anxious to let it complete before switching off the engine. Driving another couple of miles always did the trick. Mine was a first generation DPF with the cerium fuel borne catalyst. These systems seemed to be more tolerant of 'less than ideal' operating conditions compared to the more recent systems. Downside was a cost of about eighty every 40,000 miles or so to have the catalyst reservoir replenished - this was a dealer only operation at the time.

Yes it will, everything runs hotter to burn of the particles in the filter. This is quite normal.

Intercoolers only reduce the temperature of the air intake temperature and will have pretty much zero effect on the running temps of the engine.

Drive it hard and avoid short journeys and it will be fine.

May the Torque be with you!
ok that makes sense then as the mpg went through the floor so must have been in regen then. thanks

Thinking back on it, my Pug had an oil temperature gauge as a standard fitment (!! - yes, I wonder why, too) and that did rise slightly during regeneration cycles.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back