Do you think its a good time to buy

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Looking around at prices do you think it is a good time to buy a supercar or a very bad time?

With VAT coming down and already heavy discounting do you think things will get better or worse for those wanting to buy something a bit special?

Yeah but isn't it only a good time if the retailer passes on that drop in tax? I't's only the government that has drop them. It's still up to the retailer's themselves to drop them too. An if your buying a supercar then you've got supercar car money so whats a couple of grand to someone who's got loads of money anyway? Most of us who don't have that kind of money won't really see the saving it's only like depreciation after all.

Its certainly a buyers market out there. My father got a clean £10k discount off a new FreeLander 2 last month - to the point the sales staff chased us out of the showroom when we tried to leave.

Its certainly a buyers market out there. My father got a clean £10k discount off a new FreeLander 2 last month - to the point the sales staff chased us out of the showroom when we tried to leave.

An thats because at the moment big 4x4's just aren't selling because of tax and such like not to mention the day to day running costs.

My uncle has been predicting this about 4x4 off roaders loosing so much value for about six months. He keeps telling me dealers will be giving them away soon. And you've just proved him right. 10k is a massive reduction in price. Thats amazing.

We got them from £30k to £25k easily, and from £25k to £23k by pushing. My dad then decided we'd push our luck a bit and did the old walking out "thanks for your time" - was pleaded to have another coffee while they "called the boss" and came back with £20'450 in the end.

We got them from £30k to £25k easily, and from £25k to £23k by pushing. My dad then decided we'd push our luck a bit and did the old walking out "thanks for your time" - was pleaded to have another coffee while they "called the boss" and came back with £20'450 in the end.

Thats good stuff mate really it is. Thats a really big amount to get them to drop well done to you and your dad mate :bigsmile::D:D:D

Yup - although given you can buy an E55 AMG second hand for £22k I think he made the wrong choice, but thats just my oppinion ;)

Well my uncle say they'll be giving 4x4's away soon so you may be right. Me personally wouldn't buy any 4x4. But I still don't think the vat drop will really affect the average car buyer..

Mates do take the piss out of me for having a LandRover as my economical vehicle :embarrest:

Its been remapped from 112BHP/260Nm to 140BHP/320Nm which has really made a great difference (although its still far from fast! - given its as aerodynamic as a brick and quite heavy).

I had one a few years ago. It was a 1.8 petrol. And when you put your foot don't the rev counter raced the petrol needle. It drank petrol it was unbelievable. Soon got rid of that. But I may have forgot to mention it to the buyer....:embarrest:

Yeah it was the k-series engine. It was terrible so sluggish. It wasn't bad on the motorway but in town it was rubbish used so much fuel. Nice to drive though considering it's a 4x4.

I Passed my driving test in my dads 'T' reg XDi 5dr FreeLander he had at the time so im pretty used to them.

I must say though, the 'Sport' suspension in mine feels more like a 'lack of' suspension at times, very harsh and the Haldex based 4wd system with TC is nowhere near as good at the Torsen 4motion with ESP on the W8 - although obviously the LandRover has ground clearance and protection.

W8 Traction control is directly attached to the 'ESP' programme - turn off the ESP and the TC goes away too ;)

4 wheel drifting is easily possible given the W8 was graced with Torsen 4WD as apposed to the Haldex 'reactive' clutch systems found in most 4motion vags and some smaller quattros.

LandRover has no option to turn 'TC' off!

Yeah - My girlfriend has a Bora V5 and im lethal in it - its got no traction control so I spend most of the trip wheel spinning!

From a standing start my primera has hardly any traction. Without trying it spins. All I have to do is try an pull out of a junction quick an it spins. It's good in corners but terrible off the mark. I need bigger wheels :D:D:D:D

My Front Wheel Drive 1.8T Passat was like that - although probably my fault for running it with ~ 200BHP/300Nm with a heavy duty clutch.

I can't complain I hope I can get the power of my primera up to around 180bhp. I hope. But in the wet now it's like being on ice. It's gonna be fun when I up the power...:D:D

Whats it running at currently?

My girls V5 is running 165BHP (150 stock) and its 'front wheel happy' to say the least.

I'm unsure at the min. It's and SR20. But there is and SR20De which is 130Bhp I believe and an SR20DE which is 150Bhp. If I was to guess mine is the !30bhp model. So I would guess with the mods I've done it's around 140-145bhp. But not sure. When i've got the manifold I might get it dyno'd.

Yes mate the plans are for next year. I'm gonna get a manifold "Maybe before christmas ;)" Some fast road cams, An ecu or a remap, Uprated plugs leads etc, Full stainless exhaust and a forced cold air induction kit. I may need a new gearbox inbetween as well. An also a fast road clutch. An also I may uprate the auxillary pulleys.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back