Do dog bone mounts increase power

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
I've seen a few dog bone mounts around that claim to increase power.

Is this true? How can an engine mount have any effect on the power output?

Is it worth considering this mod or does the cost outweigh any gains?

No. However, what they do is stop the engine moving backwards and forwards under load. I guess this could result in the response being improved but will increase stresses on driveline components, albeit marginally.

Is it worth considering as a mod then, or is it the sort of thing you'd fix if the old one was particularly worn?

It's an engine/gearbox mount
On my Leon replacing the bushes with poly ones is supposed to help increase traction I did mine years ago and tbh I didn't really notice any difference traction! But it did increase vibration inside the car at tick over.

o_O What the Dickens is a "dog bone mount" for goodness sake? ?-/

It's an engine/gearbox mount
On my Leon replacing the bushes with poly ones is supposed to help increase traction I did mine years ago and tbh I didn't really notice any difference traction! But it did increase vibration inside the car at tick over.
I would tend to think that the flexing is designed to help reduce acoustics. I can't see it having much effect on performance other than for the tiniest fraction of a second.

I wouldn't bother with them myself even if the old one was worn.

If the engine was facing the right way in the first place there wouldn't be a problem :)

Is there any other way? Power at the back, steering at the front. The natural order of things. I bet most owners of the other type secretly wish their cars had been built properly :)