Cleaning off the road salt

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
In this icy weather the gritters go out to keep us all safe but our cars end up covered in road salt.

How Frequently do you wash it off? Anyone wishing they'd got some wax on the car when it was still sunny!

Mine is filty I could do with washing it really but its been to cold. I think even the jetwash has froze.... I may do it at the weekend but the gritters really are a pain round here. They come out in force let me tell you......

Mine has not been cleaned for 2 weeks as I have done a few trips and would be a waste of time. It will get done this weekend and power washed.

lol no need to wash your car atall lol its winter gets dirty by the end of your street clean the windows and plates to stay legal thats my moto :D

i had an english car before, god fellas the salt really wrecks your car dont it,

this post dosent apply to me as such, but i have a tip

new fords dont rust underneath as bad as other cars, this is do do with the underneath lining they use on their cars,
the same stuff can be bought and applyed to most cars, its black foamy stuff you spray on and it seals it from rust, water etc etc

il find out later what its actually called, but as far as i know its not costly
something you fellas in england should concider

if anyone knows the stuff im on about, please let us know

Waxoyl & Dinitrol are the two treatments that spring to mind (another job I have to do too!). I know of people who've slapped on used engine oil but I would like to try it on a new drive! :lol:

Underseal was very popular in years gone by. It had an unfortunate effect in that it trapped water and corrosive stuff, thereby compromising the job it was supposed to be doing

It sounds like it does the same thing as WaxOil. Most modern cars have good underbody protection but it does make sense on older cars.