cat

1st up can you get the emissions low enough to pass without the cat ?

cutting it out and replacing with a pipe is the easiest way a better one if you have an issue with the emissions would be to get it cut out and have flanges put onto the pipe and cat so you can swap them about

you dont need a cat to pass a MOT but on a petrol, sorry should have looked at your profile, you need to pass the emissions test which can be hard without a cat or a good friend who happens to be a MOT tester

I have removed the cat on my 1.9 dt and its MOT compliant, these cars are only smoke tested, not emissions test, removing it will give you more midrange, definitely worth doing

cheers mate.can you feel the difference when your driveing it.if i can get a bosch pump do i need to change any thing else on my engine to fit it.cheers for all your advice.

Not really, the original mounting should work, but it would be a good idea to change your cambelt in the process as you aren't supposed to retighten them once they have been slackened,

I would tell you about the govener mods but it's only really worth doing if you go for a bigger turbo as the standard one hit's it's choke limit at about 4 k rpm anyways

Even later CR diesels will probably pass the basic CO test without a cat.

The problem is that most will also be fitted with a DPF as my 406 was. These are often part of the same assembly so removing only the cat is very difficult.

It's these DPFs and other emission control devices that have led me back to petrol power for now at least. (My budget is very tight at the moment). In some ways I think the original elegance of diesel power has been eroded. (Thankfully the traditional noise and smoke have been eradicated as well though. None of us miss those two things).

Certainly the performance and refinement have both been sorted beautifully but at what cost?

The modern diesel engines are very prescriptive about servicing and it can get pricey. Especially if you keep your cars for a long time.

I do have to agree with you P,
From what I have found out though is that in the coming years is that most manufactures will be developing petrol powered cars, smaller capacity turbo engines are the thing now ( well it has already come into affect in that area) and things like small electric motors on turbochargers.

I'll post more when I know more

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back