castrol edge ow30 fst

PedroS

Torque Junkie
Car
G. Scenic 2.0 dci
going to do the right thing and change the oil and filters after fiting the new turbo...
what you think about this oil ?

going to do the right thing and change the oil and filters after fiting the new turbo...
what you think about this oil ?

After a quick look it would appear to be OK as an oil choice, we do however have a trader on here called Oilman who should be able to help you more directly.

Put it to oilman. In your case I suspect that a 5w/40 might be better given your choice to significantly uprate the turbo. This will create additional heat.

If your car has particle filters you need to be even more careful not to pollute these.

One oil I found very good in my remapped 2.2 litre 406 HDi was AMSOIL's fully synthetic DEO.

However, oilman is the authority.

i hope it wont create additional heat. thats one of the reasons i'm geting a biger compressor... less stress to the turbo, more air mooving, keeping it on the eficient range should help to keep the compressed air and combustion chamber cooler than before no? egr is working as it should also as everything else , so temperatures should stay on the down scale of the equation...
dont have any particle filter or cat for the matter...:cool:

The turbo temperatures will almost certainly raise the oil temperature. Intercooler makes no difference to this at all. An additional oil cooler is not a bad idea either.

Without DPF and CAT you have a far greater choice of oil.

I still recommend Tim or Guy at Opie Oils for the definitive advice.

Happy hunting

do you think it will be more hot then before? i will look at this point with more atention. thanks for the advice HDI fun. :)

I would say it will certainly be hotter.

My 406 HDi 2.2 was remapped to 192bhp. It already had an oil cooler fitted as standard and the oil temperature was definitely about 15 degrees higher when driven purposefully than it was before the remap. (The car had a factory standard oil temp gauge).

This is to be expected because the turbo is handling larger volumes of hotter exhaust gas.

In addition to looking at the oils grade, you need something which is going to remain stable under these inflated temperatures. Ester based synthetics perform this job superbly and will not break down significantly when thermally stressed.

Something else you really mus do is let the car idle down for a couple of minutes before powering off the engine. This allows the tubo bearings to cool (their only source of cooling is the circulating engine oil).

Guy and Tim will give you the very best of advice on the oil thread.

I would say it will certainly be hotter.

My 406 HDi 2.2 was remapped to 192bhp. It already had an oil cooler fitted as standard and the oil temperature was definitely about 15 degrees higher when driven purposefully than it was before the remap. (The car had a factory standard oil temp gauge).

This is to be expected because the turbo is handling larger volumes of hotter exhaust gas.

In addition to looking at the oils grade, you need something which is going to remain stable under these inflated temperatures. Ester based synthetics perform this job superbly and will not break down significantly when thermally stressed.

Something else you really mus do is let the car idle down for a couple of minutes before powering off the engine. This allows the tubo bearings to cool (their only source of cooling is the circulating engine oil).

Guy and Tim will give you the very best of advice on the oil thread.
about the " idle down for a couple of minutes before powering off the engine" i've allways done.... call me freak if you want (lol) but i never turn it off straight away,and when cold i never engage 1st gear till coolant temp is above 40 degrees celsius and and i drive it like a old men untill i am sure all oil and water temperatures are "normal".:amuse:

now stay with me and correct me if i am wrong or any other pointings would be apreciated ...

1.egr is working as it should , "deleting" the egr will increase the combustion temperature. i havent done that to avoid the temp. increase inside the combustion chamber. cleaning it within reasonable mileage intervals is my plan.

2.the turbo compressor housing was changed from 49 to 52 . now the turbo "breathes" better and more, maintaining the choke limit further away. i was doing 22 psi " manifold absolute pressure" when the stock turbo should only do 18 psi (without remap was doing 13psi i think). the upgraded version will be able to work at 26psi altough i wont use that amout of pressure. making the turbo work on its choke limit will make the compressed air alot hoter and less dense , killing the turbo after a while and instead of gaining power we loose it.
resuming , it will run cooler blowing cooler air to the engine keeping temp. down.

3. back pressure should be alot less also (straight exhaust system), so exhaust temp. at the turbo discharge turbine will be not as high as expected on a normal exhaust system.

4. intercooler... well if its a good airflow/non restrictive cooler it will help on the pressure losses from turbo to manifold (turbo wont need to work as hard to compensate) and cooling the compressed air even more comparing to the stock one.

i think all this factors are related and it will work as a vicious cycle.:blink:

head hake now... oing for coffee and cigarrete :confused:

I still think you'll seean increase in Exhaust gas temperature which will almost certainly increase oil temperature.

I'm like you - very gentle with any car until fully warmed up. Using 1st should be OK just keep below 2500rpm and not heavy pedal applications. My current car is automatic but I can stick it into Step mode and take off in 2nd or 3rd if necessary. You can select 4, 5 and 6 manually as well but it'll drop down as soon as your take off from a standstill no matter how lightly you press the pedal.

I know I keep on about temperature of oil. It's possible that the Castrol 0w/30 FST will have very good thermal shear characteristics and as such will be absolutely fine for your application. You won't do any damage by running a slightly more viscous oil though. Britain doesn't not get cold enough for a 0w rating to be used really.

Be guided by The Oilman. I find Castrol oils very expensive for what they are, but again I have used them very successfully. There are better products for the money in my opinion.

The Oilman is opieoils.co.uk and is a registered trader on this site. His recommendations can be trusted implicitly.

Keep us posted on the progress of your project.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back